Anime is dying, ㅋㅋ..

For the rest of your otaku life.
Lunethex
Regular

Anime is dying, ㅋㅋ..

#1 Post by Lunethex »

Article in Question-
http://goanimetv.com/?p=668

I looked at my friend's status on Skype, and because I'm dreadfully bored right now, I actually read this, and I facepalmed. I facepalmed all the way to China.

Anime is not dying because of pirates, it's dying because it has a lack of good writers. Actually, it's not a lack of, it's because it doesn't have any good writers anymore. I think I said something about this before, how anime is only being done to cater to legions of otaku virgins and hikikomori through an exclusive use of the "School" setting. Let me ask you something, has anyone here watched anime from the 90s?

Gunsmith Cats, SlayerS, etc. That's back when nobody knew about anime.

I love how people are always first to blame Pirates for stuff. Let me phrase this properly so it gets the point across:

COMPANIES DO NOT LOSE MONEY IF THEIR GOODS ARE PIRATED.

I did a post on my blog about how there is a serious lack of passion when it comes to the hobby of writing. Really, it's not hard to see that everyone is just replicating each other in anime today. Angel Beats comes to mind. It's always got to be something about "moe" or rainbows shooting out of the character's ass.

I also find the fact that otaku RAGE when they find out an anime character might not be a virgin herself funny, because that means they don't like experienced girls and will forever remain virgins. Well, you can't really blame them. You get arrested for saying "Hello" to girls in Japan, and Japanese women are the most high maintenance ladies ever, requiring their men have 50% more salary than they already make. And even if they did, the women would refuse to let their men have 99.8% of that cash at any given time.

I'm digressing, but the point remains: Anime is not dying because of illegal means of gaining a product, it's because the writers are too busy catering to their fans and desperately trying to please them in what is now a stale way.

It's like what happened with Atlus, how Persona 1 and 2 were awesome, hardcore JRPGs, but after that, Persona 3, 4 and 5 are just dating sims, oh god.

Also the comments on that post are hilarious.

Flame & Discuss.

Ren

Re: Anime is dying, ㅋㅋ..

#2 Post by Ren »

Lunethex wrote:...has anyone here watched anime from the 90s?

Gunsmith Cats, SlayerS, etc. That's back when nobody knew about anime.
Sorry, but I find this slightly amusing.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

COMPANIES DO NOT LOSE MONEY IF THEIR GOODS ARE PIRATED.
... actually in some cases they do.

In most cases they lose only potential money which isn't the same thing. As for the actual long-term financial effects, that's complicated and awfully hard to quantify.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#4 Post by sayuri »

To be honest the only dubbing companies I know of are Funimation and Viz. So maybe a lot of other dub companies are going under, but that doesn't mean anime is dying >.>. Anyway, if streaming video was so bad why on Earth would Viz redirect their viewers to hulu to watch their licensed show (with English subs of course)?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Anime won't die. At least Japan won't let them die.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Wintermoon »

He's not whining about anime dying, he's whining about English translations of anime dying due to piracy. Which is stupid for two reasons:

1. How are audiences going to find out about anime? In Japan, it comes in TV. In the US, internet downloads fill that role. Every single DVD in my anime collection got there because I previously downloaded the anime and liked it enough to buy it.

2. Even if every single legal distributor of English-translated anime goes under, it won't kill English translations of anime. It will barely even make a dent. Almost everything they distribute is already available as fansubs.

Aurelia-Aurora
Regular
Projects: Learning Japanese VN

#7 Post by Aurelia-Aurora »

4Kids is the source of all evil.
Currently Working On One (1) Game
Story: 100%
Sprites: 25%
Script: 17%
Programming: 0%
Characters: 95%
Event CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Lunethex wrote: Anime is not dying because of pirates, it's dying because it has a lack of good writers.
Chicken and egg thing. There are less hardboiled pay-per-view hardcore type of shows (I read somewhere they cater to "Type A" fans or something) because they don't make for good merchandising machines.

School setting moe harem shows are cheap to make and easy to merchandise. They cater to "Type B" fans but guess what, they are the ones who actually buy overpriced crap so the industry continues to make them.

Also, 90s had its fair share of pointless shounen super-power shows (Flame of Recca and gazillions of clones). Visual-novel based anime is new because VNs didn't reach penetration rate until the internet took off in 1999-2000.

The only solution I could see would be to combine 'Type A' shows with 'Type B' aspects and so you have masterpieces like Eden of the East complete with penis chopping and mass naked otaku events.

Bang Zoom has a valid point... I enjoyed their dubs in my R1 DVDs and I guess I can only look forward to their work in video games from now on.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

The US anime-on-DVD industry is dying because the product they sell is inferior. Anime DVDs offer us a 480i picture with low-resolution 3-color subtitles, many months after a show has finished airing, at an expensive price per episode. A service like Crunchyroll offers 720p pictures with high-resolution anti-aliased subtitles, while a show is originally airing, for pennies an episode.

The health of the US anime-on-DVD industry has little to do with the health of Anime as a whole. (Which may be declining due to the economic downturn.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

Then US DVD anime industry must be changed (if they want to survive). Instead of normal DVD, use Blu-ray (HD quality). Or don't use disc anymore, use internet instead and sub the anime along with the show (just like fan-sub do). I bet a professional and legal subber (I mean they are corporation) could do better and faster job compared to fan-sub.

And because there is no physical DVD involved, the price could be lowered.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Nanashiko
Regular

#11 Post by Nanashiko »

Pirating does hurt a industry, you can't say that it doesn't. It may not hurt as much as they hype it. Though it does hurt it.
Though I don't think the Anime industry is "dying" it is being hurt. Even in Japan. Though this could be due to any number of things. Audience interest shift may be changing or it could simply be because of the state of the economy. When looking at the dubbing industry the economy is probably doing more damage than the pirating. I agree with what LVUER said the whole post. Especially that the industry needs to consider changing to using the internet to live stream it's cheaper and more affordable to the American anime audience.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Adorya »

Anime is not dying because of bad writers or piracy, it just slowly suffocate because animators are paid like shit and year by year there are less talented 2D animator, everything go outsourced and anime company are sinking one after another, only niche and goodies can make one survive.

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#13 Post by alberte »

i lol'd at this, The only reason I could see that companys like funimation, VIZ are dying is because it's so damn expensive, same in Japan but even worse..

But people make cliche ideas because it's easier to profit and make.
"it's because the writers are too busy catering to their fans and desperately trying to please them in what is now a stale way." companys who adapt into anime there sole purpose is to CATER to these genres, (ei fujoshi, moe etc) when you have a distinct audience it's easier to take in attention of those fans. (kuroshitsuji anyone?)
it's all up to the person who's making it, if they want to please there fans, so what..

Oh and I hated 90's anime, i thought pretty much nothing of it.Just because they are old does not mean it wasn't cliche.

Alas, Anime isn't dying because of that, I see it as it's dying because to make a living you have to make alot of pages to scrape by, which isn't really great.

I still don't see it is supposedly "dying".

Lunethex
Regular

#14 Post by Lunethex »

Animators make $3 an hour, they get what they deserve for releasing the same thing over and over again.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Adorya »

Anime viewer get what they deserve for not buying Animators works...