re: On Asking Questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: On Asking Questions

#31 Post by Jake »

As ironic as it is to find random questions asked in a thread whose opening post says "please give the thread with your question a descriptive title"...
tohtamish wrote: All I can do is download "clear" version (its weird, but it works!), retype my project again, edit for some time - until get described error, and download "new" ren'py again, copy-paste project, and so on...
This sounds horribly suspicious, to me. Like some kind of code that's running somewhere you can't see is going around altering your executables in such a way that the python-to-EXE-generated renpy.exe breaks. Have you run a scan with a reputable anti-virus program recently?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

tohtamish
Regular

#32 Post by tohtamish »

Hmmm, seems like Vista DEP problems. I deleted "old" (thats all about one version^ ^) version of renpy, downloaded "new" in new folder - works well. When I renamed new folder to old name (which was deleted and where "bad" version was) - I got again that error.

Jake
Support Hero

#33 Post by Jake »

tohtamish wrote:Hmmm, seems like Vista DEP problems.
You were talking before about the same executable being fine one minute and not working the next; seriously, it doesn't sound like it's only a DEP problem.

Not to mention that you shouldn't have DEP problems. I know everyone loves to rag on Vista all the time for no good reason, but it doesn't have a long and storied history of being a problem for most people, and it's there to protect you from things like security exploits and viruses. If DEP was killing your Ren'Py executable every time you ran it, and did so for everyone else with a DEP-enabled OS, that would be one thing - but killing it after it had been running fine for some time suggests that something changed in the executable, and I'm pretty sure the launcher executable doesn't normally change in the normal course of operations. I can assure you - for example - that I use Vista with DEP enabled on a PC with hardware support for it, and I have never, ever had a problem with it, let alone specifically with Ren'Py.

(Looking around online briefly: seeing 'StackHash' in the module field does make it sound like it might be DEP that's killing your execution, because that apparently shows up when the kernel can't identify the module which the code was loaded from... like, say, if it was coming from some area of memory which isn't supposed to contain executable code. But it also makes it sound like a legitimate DEP kill; if memory is marked as non-executable, your kernel shouldn't be trying to execute it, and something is wrong. Turning DEP off is ignoring the warning that your software is doing something that it shouldn't, you're not solving the problem.)

It seems to me that shrugging and saying "oh, it looks like a DEP problem" is like waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of your smoke alarm, shrugging and saying "oh, it's probably just the smoke alarm going off for no good reason" and going back to sleep. Again: do you have a reputable anti-virus program installed and have you run a scan recently?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#34 Post by PyTom »

I will note that older version of Ren'Py had a problem with DEP, but that's been fixed for a few releases. Also, it was something quite deterministic - either Ren'Py would always fail, or it never would. To have it change like this is a dangerous sign.

Don't forget, as a game-maker, you're responsible not just for your own security, but for the security of your end users.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tohtamish
Regular

#35 Post by tohtamish »

I use "nod32 smart security". I'm not a professional programmer, I only can guess assumption. :) Two times my renpy stopped working after few days - maybe windows detects some suspicous and remembers dirs. I dont know. Anyhow, end version of my game will be compiled on a very clean machine.

Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

#36 Post by Eliont »

Please, how to get image rect or even though image size?

Jake
Support Hero

#37 Post by Jake »

Eliont wrote:Please, how to get image rect or even though image size?
As it goes, this isn't really the right thread to ask random questions, if you have a question you should start a new thread with the question in the title, so that people (including yourself!) can find it later.

To answer your question: Ren'Py doesn't really like to tell you the size of images, because in normal usage you should either know the size already, or not care (e.g. placing a character on-screen, you just care that the bottom of the character is at the bottom of the screen).

However, it is possible to get the size information, if you don't mind doing a bit of Python work. I answered the same question to someone else a month or so ago, you can find the explanation here.

mrptv

#38 Post by mrptv »

Why don't we have a special forum which have all the link to each question. Maybe we lost a lot of time to arrange but it worth it. Member who ask new question will add the link in by themselves. New member will be easier to find.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#39 Post by Aleema »

mrptv wrote:Why don't we have a special forum which have all the link to each question. Maybe we lost a lot of time to arrange but it worth it. Member who ask new question will add the link in by themselves. New member will be easier to find.
It's called the FAQ, which people can edit.

mrptv

#40 Post by mrptv »

We can do like this http://vnsharing.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1829 ( i don't know if it's the same)

tpgames
Regular
Projects: Jade Universität

#41 Post by tpgames »

I just want to say that how this forum is ran as far as getting help, asking questions, posting and all is of a format I LOVE! Its not rules based, but instead people based. :D 8)
Kyteroo jaunting off....(won't add website until I've finished 1 Ren'Py game)
WIP: Jade Universität - A RPG puzzle game.

fathskie
Regular

#42 Post by fathskie »

Hello! Sorry to jump in! I have a basic question and I'm reluctant to start a new topic because it's so basic... but it's bugging me...

How do I save my game and make an *.exe out of it?? I tried "build distribution" but I don't know where it saves the *.exe so I always have to launch the game from renpy.exe instead of a standalone application click... >,<

Could you please enlighten me..? Thank you very much in advance!
-fathskie

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#43 Post by Camille »

fathskie wrote:Hello! Sorry to jump in! I have a basic question and I'm reluctant to start a new topic because it's so basic... but it's bugging me...

How do I save my game and make an *.exe out of it?? I tried "build distribution" but I don't know where it saves the *.exe so I always have to launch the game from renpy.exe instead of a standalone application click... >,<

Could you please enlighten me..? Thank you very much in advance!
-fathskie
Next time, start a thread anyway. XD; This topic isn't really the right place for stuff like this.

To answer - Ren'py makes a .zip file with the name you specify for the project/file and it gets put in the same folder where renpy.exe is, so I'm surprised you haven't already seen it by now. You have to unzip that folder to get to your game distribution.

fathskie
Regular

#44 Post by fathskie »

That was awesomely fast feedback!! Thank you so much, Camille! (and thank you too for not scolding me for posting in a wrong section xDD) I'll definitely create a thread next time I have confusion =D

^^

NeoSota9

#45 Post by NeoSota9 »

Is there any way my friend can send me his game so far?