Ahoge - an art question

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

Ahoge - an art question

#1 Post by linkdragon0 »

I've been using ahoge (idiot hairs for those of you who don't know they're they hair that sticks up like a cowleck. Konata from lucky star has one so do many other characters from various shows) for a lot of my characters recently, it seems to give them a more complete look, but is also stuck with the idea that the character is well... An idiot.

I don't like that idea and none of my characters are truly idiots, so, I was wondering if any of you out there that draw use ahoge on your non-idiotic characters.

I generally use it to give a touch of cuteness to female characters, and a sense of messiness to males. But i've never actually used it for an idiotic character.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

Catoni15

Re: Ahoge - an art question

#2 Post by Catoni15 »

I really had no idea what an "ahoge" really was until I looked into it some just now. So that's what that bit of hair is, yeah? Hehe.

Nah, I can't say I really use it for any of my characters. But, honestly, I wouldn't get too wrapped up about something like that, either. From what I read just now "ahoge" can also be used for characters who aren't just idiots (or fools) but somebody who might be a bit mischievous, or even playful.

It's certainly possible to try and use it as a way to throw off your audience a bit. They may see it, think the character could be stupid and then, by the characters actions, thoughts, personality, etc., can defy this. It's another route if you wanna handle it like that.

I'd also suggest not giving so many characters ahoges (is that the proper plural for it? XD;). If you have problems trying to get "complete" looks then try looking up different hairstyles. Searching the internet can be good for this. This link might help, too:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeHair

That one's specifically about anime hair. Not everybody likes, or would turn to, TV Tropes, but I personally think it's a good place to start. They break it down by each kind of hair and, who knows? Might see something you like. There's also an index for hair in general:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HairTropes

Whether it's hair, or clothes or anything there's one thing you should really remember: No matter how you do something people will always have their own intepretation of your stuff. You can't help what other people think of, or how they translate your details. The best thing to do is go with yourself on things like this.

Don't know if that helped at all or it I just ended up rambling. XDD;;
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

Dark
Regular
Projects: Project 3Seasons

#3 Post by Dark »

To tell the truth, I don't like ahoge with my characters. Then again, that's just a style interpretation. It's not appropriate for the work I am working on, so thus I do not include it. As the person above said, it's a style preference, so it's up to you if you want to include them or not.

It all depends on what kind of feel you want to go for.
Currently working on 1 VN

Story Concept - 100%
Screens - 10%
Character Design - 90%
Sprites - 0%
Scripts - 2%
BGM - 0%

linkdragon0
Veteran

#4 Post by linkdragon0 »

Okay. I was trying to find some opinions on ahoge, I guess not a lot of people put ahoge on their characters.

Also, linking to TVTropes can be a bad idea... TVTropes can ruin your life. (Is a troper.)

Anyway, thanks for the opinions, if anyone else wants to share feel free.

Nanashiko
Regular

#5 Post by Nanashiko »

It all depends on the size I think. I think the more larger and easily noticed it is. The more it is probably being used to show the character is an idiot. Though there are several I have seen used in games that seem to be more for show than them being stupid. For example there was a recently released Visual Novel Dating sim Koiiro Soramoyou (http://www.studio-ryokucha.com/koisora/index.html) where several characters seem to have a slight ahoge to them. That from what I have read (I haven't played it yet mind you) from reviews aren't really that dumb.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#6 Post by linkdragon0 »

Well one girl has two small ones, the MC has one but it's what I call a "blade ahoge" where it goes backwards and looks like a ice skate blade. (sorta)

But that's it.

Anyway, i'd like to ask if anyone likes characters with ahoge.

nagirinara
Regular
Projects: World Academy, Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn

#7 Post by nagirinara »

Yes, I do. A few characters pull it off adorably, like Alfred Jones.
It's Nagi Rinara: Nagi-san or Rinara-chan, not Nagirinara-san. <--- Seriously, don't do it.

Currently making:
World Academy - Version Gilbo
Currently helping:
Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn
Finished:
None =T.T=

linkdragon0
Veteran

#8 Post by linkdragon0 »

nagirinara wrote:Yes, I do. A few characters pull it off adorably, like Alfred Jones.

Leave it to the Hetalia fan. XD

I personally thing it can make certain girls adorable (coughnagisacough) and can give a guy a messy look without a lot of work.

They can get annoying if EVERYONE has them.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#9 Post by sake-bento »

I don't think it means the character is an idiot. It means the character has a tuft of hair there. Sometimes characters make a big deal out of it (like in Pani Poni Dash), but I'm pretty sure Saber from Fate/Stay also has an ahoge, and I doubt anyone would think of her as an idiot character (Sader, on the other hand...). Just do what you think makes the design look right.

nagirinara
Regular

#10 Post by nagirinara »

linkdragon0 wrote:
nagirinara wrote:Yes, I do. A few characters pull it off adorably, like Alfred Jones.

Leave it to the Hetalia fan. XD

I personally thing it can make certain girls adorable (coughnagisacough) and can give a guy a messy look without a lot of work.

They can get annoying if EVERYONE has them.
Yeah, I know, sorry. =^.^= Yeah, if everyone had them though, it'd be some kind of sick epidemic. It also depends, I think, on what exactly you consider ahoge. Is it just the little cow-lick tufts or do single hairs that always out count as well?
It's Nagi Rinara: Nagi-san or Rinara-chan, not Nagirinara-san. <--- Seriously, don't do it.

Currently making:
Currently helping:
Finished:
None =T.T=

linkdragon0
Veteran

#11 Post by linkdragon0 »

If I could access my internet i'd show you what I mean, but I was thinking mainly single hairs that can just be a tiny line or thick, but it's supposed to be a single hair.

I prefer the thick look than the thin line.

nagirinara
Regular

#12 Post by nagirinara »

Hmm, well, we'll have to see then at some point. =^.^= I don't really have a preference for hair (or ahoge for that matter), but it's always interesting finding out others' opinions.

Currently making:
Currently helping:
Finished:
None =T.T=

linkdragon0
Veteran

#13 Post by linkdragon0 »

Okay, here are the characters I'm talking about.

Yeah, they're taken from my sketchbook with my phone... Don't complain. XD
Attachments
Vestral, her two tiny ahoge (You can sorta see what I mean by &quot;Thick look&quot; as they're more than just a single line.
Vestral, her two tiny ahoge (You can sorta see what I mean by "Thick look" as they're more than just a single line.
Tao, his &quot;blade&quot; ahoge. It sweeps back.
Tao, his "blade" ahoge. It sweeps back.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

You mean the antenna thing? I use it on most of my characters, I don't know why but I like it ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

nagirinara
Regular

#15 Post by nagirinara »

Ah, I see. It's quite cute on the girl, but it seems a little out of place on the male, not sure why though. <--- could be my inexperienced opinion

Currently making:
Currently helping:
Finished:
None =T.T=