Signatures

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Signatures

#1 Post by PyTom »

Due to a rash of spammers registering an account, then posting a reply with a link in the signature, I have disabled signatures for accounts with 0 or 1 posts. The ability to post with a signature will automatically be enabled once an account has posted twice.

(This policy may change if it proves ineffective.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

IceD
Veteran

Re: Signatures

#2 Post by IceD »

Isn't signature some kind of priviledge anyway? It's kinda useless add-on unless someone uses it as for posting links and banners to their sites and stuff or leaving messages. Anyway, if things get worse I suggest raising the level ofrequired to 10 or even 30 - last forum is was an admin had some serious issues with spambots that were using signatures as an additional spam field :(
Last edited by IceD on Sun May 09, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#3 Post by linkdragon0 »

You may want to really boost it to 20/30 I know of a site (one i'm a member of) that was attacked by a spam bot that posted in every single forum section on the site. So it posted about 20 something times. Just letting you know.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

nagirinara
Regular
Projects: World Academy, Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn

#4 Post by nagirinara »

Agreed, just a few posts would be too easy. Raising it to 30 would be a good idea, I think.
It's Nagi Rinara: Nagi-san or Rinara-chan, not Nagirinara-san. <--- Seriously, don't do it.

Currently making:
World Academy - Version Gilbo
Currently helping:
Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn
Finished:
None =T.T=

Nanashiko
Regular

#5 Post by Nanashiko »

Spammers have to ruin everything nice in a forum. I agree though raising it a bit might be helpful I think for a spammer getting a couple posts would be easy. Though let's hope they aren't that motivated to try something like that. Which I don't think they usually are though I could be wrong.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Agree. Increasing the minimum number of post before able to post signature is alright for me. Besides people who never post more than 10 or 20 post in this forum won't find signature too important anyway.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

30? Way excessive. We haven't had 30+ post spammers (lately -- that I know of), so why punish people who can't find something to say in the limited number of topics available on the forum? A signature is a way to establish an identity and community. If you remove the signature, might as well strip an avatar as well.

Spammers really don't have time to post once or twice, then go back to their signature, and post 20+ more times. They post as fast as they can before they're deleted, most likely. I agree with PyTom's logic here. 1 is more than enough deterrent.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Honestly, I'm curious if this will stop them, or if we'll see the same sort of "Why, that's a well-argued point, which I agree with."-type post, but without the signature. So it's a bit of an experiment.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#9 Post by linkdragon0 »

If you do raise the post requirement 15 would be a good max, 1 more than we have forum sections so it should deter the spammers without making it too far out of reach for newbies. But only raise the req if the 0 and 1 post thing doest work.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#10 Post by rioka »

Aleema wrote:A signature is a way to establish an identity and community. If you remove the signature, might as well strip an avatar as well.
I disagree. I've actually run my MangaTutorials forum without giving members the ability to make signatures for years* and it didn't deter members from establishing an identity and community. Most people actually just put their siggy in the "Location" spot instead.

* It was mainly instated because I was using phpbb2 (lack of signature admin control in CP) at the time and people were disregarding the rules (and I didn't feel like warning everyone who broke it; I did for a bit but it got tedious real fast)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Aleema »

rioka wrote:
Aleema wrote:A signature is a way to establish an identity and community. If you remove the signature, might as well strip an avatar as well.
I disagree. I've actually run my MangaTutorials forum without giving members the ability to make signatures for years* and it didn't deter members from establishing an identity and community. Most people actually just put their siggy in the "Location" spot instead.
I didn't say it was the only way. That would be ridiculous.
But your forum does prove the point that they had to resort to a different medium to express themselves (the Location spot).

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#12 Post by rioka »

Aleema wrote:I didn't say it was the only way. That would be ridiculous.
But your forum does prove the point that they had to resort to a different medium to express themselves (the Location spot).
And I didn't say that you said it was the only way. I'm just stating that people can live without signatures just fine. It's inconvenient, yes, but members can deal. And yes, they can express themselves in some other medium but at least spammers can't make links in the location spot. If they did, it's at least not clickable.

Btw, PyTom, you can make a custom field in the profile where people can link to their sites and make it viewable underneath the avatar just like the Joined Date, Posts, and Location are underneath our avatars.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aleema »

rioka wrote:And I didn't say that you said it was the only way. I'm just stating that people can live without signatures just fine. It's inconvenient, yes, but members can deal. And yes, they can express themselves in some other medium but at least spammers can't make links in the location spot. If they did, it's at least not clickable.
Fair enough. But I stand by my statement that the inconvenience x 30 is excessive. Companies that make their game piracy-free through DRM will find they've made their game unplayable for even the people who bought it legally. Just something to think about.
rioka wrote:Btw, PyTom, you can make a custom field in the profile where people can link to their sites and make it viewable underneath the avatar just like the Joined Date, Posts, and Location are underneath our avatars.
He did, it's called "Projects". Not sure if you can post working links inside of it, though. But I'll always prefer a graphical button.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#14 Post by rioka »

Aleema wrote:Fair enough. But I stand by my statement that the inconvenience x 30 is excessive. Companies that make their game piracy-free through DRM will find they've made their game unplayable for even the people who bought it legally. Just something to think about.
Inconvenience via not having signatures is one thing. Inconvenience via DRM is another completely different ballgame. They're apples and oranges Aleema. It's not all black and white.
Aleema wrote:He did, it's called "Projects". Not sure if you can post working links inside of it, though. But I'll always prefer a graphical button.
Yes, they can be made into links if he wished them to be. As for images, I just checked in my own forum and it unfortunately will not show an image. : (

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Aleema »

rioka wrote:Inconvenience via not having signatures is one thing. Inconvenience via DRM is another completely different ballgame. They're apples and oranges Aleema. It's not all black and white.
Sure, they may be too different to compare. My main reasoning behind saying that stripping the signature is a demerit toward community that, in the 30-post-count situation, it would create two groups of people: those with signatures and those with none. Whereas your forum simply had no signatures. That is apples and oranges, too. :)

Edit: I'm done polluting this thread. Said my peace. ^^