Animes you just can't stand

For the rest of your otaku life.
linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

Re: Animes you just can't stand

#106 Post by linkdragon0 »

At the end I felt the angst demons from EVA scream as they were banished away due to Gurren Laganns awesomeness.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#107 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yes, her name is Nia.
But why won't he just revive everyone?! Stupid Simon! X(

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#108 Post by LVUER »

I admit that the EVA itself isn't that cool (as a robot I mean), especially if you only look from coolness/action POV. EVA is very realistic, so it prioritizes realism (like how you must take all electricity from entire Japan to power-up the sniper rifle.

Rather than the EVA, I prefer to watch the conventional weapons (like tanks, turrets/missiles battery, airplanes, and N2 mine) fighting against Angels and get destroyed easily.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#109 Post by blankd »

LVUER wrote:I admit that the EVA itself isn't that cool (as a robot I mean), especially if you only look from coolness/action POV. EVA is very realistic, so it prioritizes realism (like how you must take all electricity from entire Japan to power-up the sniper rifle.

Rather than the EVA, I prefer to watch the conventional weapons (like tanks, turrets/missiles battery, airplanes, and N2 mine) fighting against Angels and get destroyed easily.
I would think Bokurano would have appeal to you?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#110 Post by LVUER »

Yes, I've read Bokurano and quite enjoyed it...
though it's very depressing to see the good guy inevitably die one by one
I also enjoyed Cannon God Exxaxxion (from the creator of Gun Smith Cats).

Uh, and just to avoid misunderstanding, when I said I prefer to see conventional weapons, I mean in Evangelion, what I wait most is not THE EVA in action, but rather the opening attack (those conventional military forces that eventually desroyed by Angels) ... and EVA-01 berserk sequence.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Kuroshiro

#111 Post by Kuroshiro »

I try my best to watch everything that interests me at first glance but I throw them out if it can't keep me hooked for at least three episodes :( I'm very easy to please though haha 8D I just really hate draggy stories.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#112 Post by azureXtwilight »

Most people can't stand long-term anime these days, like naruto or DBZ. Except for the fillers, what's the other reason?

Jake
Support Hero

#113 Post by Jake »

azureXtwilight wrote:Except for the fillers, what's the other reason?
Maybe because the whole reason something becomes long-term is because it's popular, and people think it shows individuality and taste to dislike something which is popular?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

NeumanProductions
Regular
Completed: Penpals
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))
Organization: Justice Brothers

#114 Post by NeumanProductions »

If you don't like a series, that's when you watch abridge of it. Or if you like it. Anyways, a good abridge can make up for a bad series. :D
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)
You know, I sometimes still do that. :)
This Act 1 portion is what hooked me on VNs, so I like to promote them.
Anything I write I post here Deviant Art

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#115 Post by blankd »

azureXtwilight wrote:Most people can't stand long-term anime these days, like naruto or DBZ. Except for the fillers, what's the other reason?
It draws out things unnecessarily, even in-plot battles span several episodes because they are bogged down with pointless explanations and MONOLOGUES. There is nothing more boring than inaction.

In terms of animation, long series typically are tightly budgeted, so visually they can be downright horrible (relative to studio).

The longer a series becomes the more side-tracked it gets from the plot (and in most cases the "charm" that attracted fans in the first place). Tangents are fine if they develop the characters or world, but typically they are so far divorced from the plot and main cast that many can't really muster up the energy to care. Some could call this filler, but when it happens in-canon then it's just a "waste". (Such episodes can be identified by the fact that although it can be character centric, no progress is made, no new revelations of character are made except to the extremely slow-witted watchers/readers).

Bad writing, aka "OK author I know you just pulled that out of your ass at the last second." Typically this appears when the challenges scale up for no real (or some fairly lame) reason.

I think the longest series I have watched tops out at 51-52 episodes. I'm more lenient towards Manga in all honesty...

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#116 Post by cloudyssky »

School Days. Dropped after three seconds into the second episode. I'd image the VN for it sucks as well.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

NeumanProductions
Regular
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))

#117 Post by NeumanProductions »

cloudyssky wrote:School Days. Dropped after three seconds into the second episode. I'd image the VN for it sucks as well.
I stuck through it but knew the ending coming in, so no big surprise. But still, Japan really does have lower regulations then the US.

*Edit*

A reply to down south \/, you should watch this animation to get the true feels for Kagome in the series.
Last edited by NeumanProductions on Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#118 Post by Fluffycrow »

Most of my least favorite anime series are just results of terribly-mangled animated version of my favorite manga series--like FullMetal Alchemist, Inu-Yasha (Shut up, Kagome. Just when I thought you couldn't get any more annoying, they hired the actress for the English IY dub...), and Fruits Basket. I also despise Naruto, but I don't like the manga either. I just fail to find any of the characters likable.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#119 Post by vaanknight »

I can't stand all those sport/card game shounens out there... Beyblade, Yugi Oh, Bakugan, even Capt. Tsubasa, ugh. Boring as hell unless you're a 10 yr old who actually plays the darn game. About Naruto, Bleach and all those with endless fillers, I don't mind them as long as they keep the ball rolling after not more than 5 episodes or so. In any case, I only REALLY enjoy short, deep animes like Elfen Lied, Evangelion, Kare Kano, etc. (although I HATE inconclusive endings like those in Gainax's animes.)

A special mention would be Jubei Ninpucho. I loved the movie, but I still don't know if I love or hate the series... the story is rather simple, but the visuals, the characters and the music are top notch in my personal scale.

NeumanProductions
Regular

#120 Post by NeumanProductions »

I've been getting sucked into Harem and Ecchi animes lately such as old and new. They always have the most interesting yet stupid comedy that actually makes you laugh, ironically. To Love Ru, KissxSis, Inukami!, SGT frog, Tokyo Mew Mew, Dokuro-chan, Ladies vs. Butlers, Zero No Tsukaima, Rosario+Vampire, Midori Days. I especially am into the VN based ones like School Days, Shuffle, ect. You get my point.

But this forum is ones you can't stand so these are my defense. I plan on watching everything on animeseason.com to get a feel of all but I'm surprised to see how many people hate the long animes like Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach. I enjoy the manga best of all but I don't think filler is a reason to hate an anime, in some cases it in a necessity.