Date Warp (GxB, commercial - discount details)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Date Warp (GxB, commercial - discount details)

#16 Post by papillon »

Will the reason for this become apparent later in the story? Is this how Janet's mind works?
(It's not story-related, so I'm unspoiling.)

On a meta-level, it's how the player's mind works. Playing through a branching-plot game is about weaving your way through a maze of possibilities and trying to forge a connection from your start point to the ending you hope for.

At one point in design there was going to be a framing story in which you-the-player have received a mysterious puzzlebox on which you are watching Janet's story take place like a movie. (See all the strange metallic tubes and gears around the viewscreen?) Therefore your adjustments to the box's wiring change the way that the story inside plays out. (You may notice, for example, that the choice puzzles always ask "What does JANET do?" rather than "What do YOU do?") But making this framing story explicit really didn't add anything to the game so it faded away.

As for why, two real reasons... I personally like having a minigame break from reading every now and then when playing VNs, and I'd been reading a discussion of gameplay vs story segregation with regards to a particular casual game. It had both gameplay elements and a plot with decisions to make, but the two were totally separate. You played the game section and then you made an explicit choice afterwards, and the blogger mused about how it might be nice to make choices via gameplay. So I set about making "the act of choosing" into a game element (Well, I designed a way for it to BE a game element - the Caterpillar CODED it, obviously. :) )

Having to work towards the goal you want to choose adds a little bit of weight to the decision.

Aquane
Veteran

#17 Post by Aquane »

DX I got the 3rd ending! The game was very good. This had much more mystery than romance, which sucks after you play it through the first time :x Though the endings make up for it~ The one I got was sad DX
I didn't want to die! :<
Well, off to bed. Tomorrow I will hopefully get a good ending XD though are there any walkthrough-like posts anywhere? Because some things seem very hard to do... I'll keep working at it though! I do love the mini game also! It's pretty fun.

Overall it was worth buying :) Really nice game.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#18 Post by yummy »

Nice Opening video ^^
Too bad the art isn't on the same level all the time. Even so, that's the first time I've seen an OP made by the english community to be this good.

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Cain0425 »

why was there not a art gallery for this game?

Aquane
Veteran

#20 Post by Aquane »

I need help! ): I have only ever gotten Bradley to love status, how do you get all the other guys to that as well? If it is possible.. also are there better endings for the guys? So far I've ended the game as
their friend,housemate, ect.
Other than Bradley of course.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#21 Post by papillon »

With most of the guys, remember that Janet's only known them for a few days before the game ends. That's not a lot of time, compared to a whole lifetime ahead of them! So it's left a bit open-ended about precisely what happens to them afterwards, rather than "they get married and have five kids". You know that she's forged a connection with the guy in question, and that's the important part.

What's written is intended to strongly imply a romantic relationship on the good ending paths, while allowing the reader to shape the details according to their tastes. You could read it as being only friends or housemates or partners, but you can also easily read it as them being lovers. It's just suggestive rather than explicit.

Read between the lines... After all that's been said and done, do you really think Janet, Linds, and Rafael are sharing a house and none of them are involved with each other? :)
why was there not a art gallery for this game?
It's coming in an update when the Caterpillar gets around to it...

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Cain0425 »

does that mean i got buy it over?

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#23 Post by LinWest »

So... how much of an influence was Rocky Horror Picture show in this game? "Date Warp" or TIme Warp, Brad&Janet, strange mansion that they are trapped in, cars breaking down... hmm. The whole time I played the demon I was going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmq-8rcEKg

;)

i can only wonder what's in the basement....

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#24 Post by papillon »

does that mean i got buy it over?
No, no! Updated versions of games can be downloaded free for customers. When it's ready you can just ask (with your receipt) and we'll send you a new download link.
So... how much of an influence was Rocky Horror Picture show in this game?
*grin* Yes, that's all there. (Also, "Raff"ael answers the door...) But the plot does go in a rather different direction once it gets going. It's not the same story. (There are also some other silly references to different things later that you might catch...)
Last edited by papillon on Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucifiel
Regular

#25 Post by Lucifiel »

Hmmm... nice game so far. =P
There's a typo, btw... in the demo. Not sure if it's in the full game but the part(before that rich owner appears) where bradley says "No, we're not staying long. We should stay ready to go." It ought to be "get ready to go".

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Cain0425 »

thanks here my email papilon sutterlin_holly@yahoo.com

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#27 Post by papillon »

Lucifiel wrote:Hmmm... nice game so far. =P
There's a typo, btw... in the demo. Not sure if it's in the full game but the part(before that rich owner appears) where bradley says "No, we're not staying long. We should stay ready to go." It ought to be "get ready to go".
That's not what he means. He means that they should remain prepared/able to leave, because they will be (supposedly) leaving shortly. If you're only planning to step inside for a minute or so, you don't need to take off your shoes and get comfortable.

Lucifiel
Regular

#28 Post by Lucifiel »

papillon wrote:
Lucifiel wrote:Hmmm... nice game so far. =P
That's not what he means. He means that they should remain prepared/able to leave, because they will be (supposedly) leaving shortly. If you're only planning to step inside for a minute or so, you don't need to take off your shoes and get comfortable.
Hmmm... damn, that's what I get for being outdated with casual language and possibly, American English. :p ^^;; I didn't even know such a term or usage of English existed.

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#29 Post by LinWest »

papillon wrote: *grin* Yes, that's all there. (Also, "Raff"ael answers the door...) But the plot does go in a rather different direction once it gets going. It's not the same story. (There are also some other silly references to different things later that you might catch...)
Haha! I knew it!
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#30 Post by azureXtwilight »

That was cool! Are you planning for updates for this game?