Sculptris: 3D sculpting program (free)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ren

Sculptris: 3D sculpting program (free)

#1 Post by Ren »

I mentioned it before, but I thought I'd open a thread about it, since v1.01 is now out and so many things have changed and the program looks even better than it did at first.

It's a fairly intuitive 3D sculpting program, it's free and it's great fun to play with.

Perhaps some people here are toying with the idea of creating their 3D models instead of using pre made ones for their games?
I'm quite happy with it, as I'm working on my first model ever, and it's not turning out that bad at all.
Please take a look at the demo video and see if you're interested!

[youtube]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DNRg6pdNeE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DNRg6pdNeE&hl ... 2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by Ren on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IceD
Veteran

Re: Sculptris: 3D sculpting program (free)

#2 Post by IceD »

I just knew somebody will post about it sooner or later :)

All I can say about this program that... it's just fantastic! I've came upon Sculptris when it was still an early alpha release on the TIGsource forums but it grew and developed fast into something amazing. I've knew and used Zbrush before, but3d was never so much fun before! It's a very lightweight program, plain amazing with it's simplicity, easiness and design, yet manages to give so much functionality and freedom. It's incredible, what can be done with it - you can make both 3d models and terrain/object meshes. The whole sculpting process resembles more of a art drawing and (especially, if you have one) you can use your tablet to the fullest (and thats, when you can finally see program's functionality). After you're done, you can paint it however you want with fully customized textures and materials. Just wow...

Finally, there's a slowly progressing export function (however I'll be still waiting for the full support that might come in the near future), so you can export models and use them further with other 3d programs. Sculptris runs decent even on older machines with choppy video cards (even old integrated INTEL chipsets manage to run it preety decent - tested on Celeron D 2,53, 1GB of PC3200 ram and Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL chipset). Final effects are stunning - even a total newb at 3d art will manage to get something nice in no time. And it's free! FREE! :)

I just say - download and give it a try! :)

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#3 Post by Chansel »

Wow, that demo makes it look so easy xD
I'm definitely going to give it a try sometime :)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Ren

#4 Post by Ren »

Chansel wrote:Wow, that demo makes it look so easy xD
It's certainly quite intuitive, even if it's not a piece of cake!
I especially like the "clay" drawing mode, as it is more similar to what I'm used to, traditionally.

Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

Another bit for the toolbox :) Thanks for sharing ^.^

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#7 Post by rioka »

That's pretty neat. The 3D making process reminds me of doing line art on PS using the pen tool.
I don't know if I'll ever use it but.... saved! :D

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#8 Post by VenusEclipse »

This looks fun. I'll definitely give it a try. The video does make it look easy.
IceD wrote: Sculptris runs decent even on older machines with choppy video cards (even old integrated INTEL chipsets manage to run it preety decent - tested on Celeron D 2,53, 1GB of PC3200 ram and Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL chipset). Final effects are stunning - even a total newb at 3d art will manage to get something nice in no time. And it's free! FREE! :)
When I saw the video, it looked like it needed a lot of resources to run, but that sounds like it'll run on my machine. :D

boboverlord

#9 Post by boboverlord »

If it can be used well in low spec computer, I may try it too!