Ripples (Remix)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Ripples (Remix)

#1 Post by sake-bento »

Once upon a time, a little lost child named Ayu Sakata stumbled upon a mysterious visual novel engine known as Ren'py. With only a vague idea of what it took to make a VN, Ayu decided to try her hand at it. After a week of work, she finished Ripples. It was short and sweet, with her rough illustrations, vocals recorded with a laptop mic, and cobbled-together MIDI soundtrack. It probably would have passed quietly on into the night if not for the fact that Ayu had officially been bitten by the VN-making bug. She set her mind on more ambitious projects, met new friends, and honed her skills. Years later, Ayu looked back fondly upon Ripples and she realized that she could do much better now. And so, with the help of her friends, she did.

Hey all! This is probably new for a lot of you, but I hope some of you remember Ripples, the first thing I ever posted here. XD I decided to remake it because I think it deserves better. This simple, ten-minute tale is my beginning. I never started out with grand ideas. I never intended to make RE: Alistair++ or Jisei. I just wanted to tell a simple story. But hey, even the smallest thing can make a huge difference. I'm very thankful for all the wonderful people I've met here and elsewhere while working on VNs, and I'd like to share the remake of Ripples as my small gift to the community. With hard work, dedication, and a lot of help from others, I've come this far. I hope that we'll all continue to do our best in the future as well.

Art: dejichan
Writing: sake-bento
Music: Marc Conrad Tabula
Vocals: soymilkpudding, maioceaneyes

EDIT: iPhone version now available, thanks to dstarsboy.

P.S.
If you're curious, the original looked like this.
Attachments

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ripples-win32.zip
(11.63 MiB) Downloaded 2804 times
ripples-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(11.02 MiB) Downloaded 290 times
ripples-mac.zip
(14.8 MiB) Downloaded 492 times
Last edited by sake-bento on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Ripples (Remix)

#2 Post by MaiMai »

*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*

Okay enough spamming with sparkly faces, but let me just say that this is the most eagerly anticipated release for me since Ripples was one of the first Ren'Py games I have ever played and one of my favorites. Curses, another distraction from making me write an essay that's due tomorrow! This remake has me so excited eeeeee
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by sake-bento »

Aaaand~ all versions up along with my sappy essay to the community. ^_^;;

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Back then I already knew when I tried out Ripples (the original version, of course!) that you were going to go on and make grander things.

You serve as a prime example of what can be accomplished if one focuses one's mind on pure creation. (instead of, say, playing games on emulators or the Playstation and a myriad of other distractions I typically engage in).

Though I like Deji's art, I would still prefer something drawn by yourself, personally. I realize there are commercial standards and dedicated people doing them are more efficient, but still. (This may be a total reversal to my attitude years ago when there weren't as many 'polished' works out there).

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#5 Post by CaesMRaenes »

This was really charming to read again and very inspiring for people to start small. >: I love you.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by sake-bento »

Woo~ people who remember the original. : D I'm glad you guys enjoyed the remake. ^o^

@DaFool: My choice to use Deji was only partially due to her skill as an artist. I asked her because she's become a good friend over the years that I've been here, and I wanted to include the work of my friends (Dejichan, Marc, maicoeaneyes) because it represents how much I've changed and grown during this time.

tooaya
Regular

#7 Post by tooaya »

wahhhh I'm addicted to your games sake. DDDx This story, short as it is, nearly made me cry. ;-; *is a sensitive person*
Anyway, great illustration as ever, I don't think I need to start another fangirl ramble about how awesome Deji's background arts are (THE CAMERA, THE CAMERAAAA). The story's really...like other people said, inspiring. It short, but it's totally sweet. :3

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#8 Post by Deji »

tooaya wrote:wahhhh I'm addicted to your games sake. DDDx This story, short as it is, nearly made me cry. ;-; *is a sensitive person*
Anyway, great illustration as ever, I don't think I need to start another fangirl ramble about how awesome Deji's background arts are (THE CAMERA, THE CAMERAAAA). The story's really...like other people said, inspiring. It short, but it's totally sweet. :3
I'd love to trade skills with you anytime if I could xDDD
you should also make more games for sakevisual *nudge nudge*

I'm glad you guys have enjoyed this remix, and I'm really happy to have been part of it ^__^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#9 Post by MaiMai »

Ah, finished playing a while ago (and I finished my essay without putting it off yay!) and this remix gives me warm and fuzzy feelings <3333 It's always a pleasure to see Deji's art and combined with sake-bento's writing, it makes me a very happy Mai. |3

I like how you expanded on the protagonist's point of view, there's so much more depth. Sake-bento's writing is a good example of how a VN could be written. Simple, but effective, and more thought put into than you think. Congrats on being able to release this Deji and Sake :3
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hello! I played your first ripples, and it was the first voiced VN I played. I enjoyed it very much! And it gave me a warming feeling inside. Thank you for remaking it! I love it! :D

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#11 Post by Blue Sky »

Beautiful. Leaves me wanting more...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#12 Post by jack_norton »

I didn't play this before until today: really nice game! :) No need to tell what I think about Ayu since if I could I would let her write all my games (wait, isn't what is already happening? lol).
About Deji I remember when I first came here and was astonished by her art already back in 2008, but now I think she has improved even more!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

IceD
Veteran

#13 Post by IceD »

Oh my, it's finally finished :)

Sentimental, back then original version was one of the first oelvn's I played, and first one from lsf community. I enjoyed it alot, even if it was short. I'm going to download and run it straight ahead when I get back home!

It must be great to see such improvement over time :)

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#14 Post by Chansel »

Such a nice and beautiful story. It really made me smile :)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

shahab96
Veteran

#15 Post by shahab96 »

It has a good story
I like it.
:)
The true measure of a man is what he does with his power.