Ribbons

For the rest of your otaku life.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Ribbons

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

Random question, as a talking point as much as anything else: You know the way so many anime girls have ribbons in their hair? Even Miko does. It's pretty cute. But does anyone know anyone who actually wears ribbons like that? Any girls here who'd wear ribbons in their hair? Is it even something that Japanese girls do, or is it just dreamt up by artists who realised it looks cute? Maybe everyone in America does it, and it only seems odd to Brits like me? Or maybe Brits do too, just not the ones I know... or maybe they just don't do it around me!! :shock:

... I was just wondering...

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Good point...I've wondered about that as well! I can tell you that there aren't too many girls who wear ribbons here in the United States, either. I don't know about Japan, but I'm guessing it's just a cuteness thing with the anime :D It also gives a greater sense of fantasy since it's something you don't see in real life a lot.

Jerails
Veteran

#3 Post by Jerails »

If I remember correctly, most artists who focus on anime girls (usually around the plan to sell said girls to market) try to find as many ways as possible to make them appear attractive (Just like the people who serve public entertainers such a J.Lo, Britney Spears, and Dir En Grey!)

Of course, attractiveness is branched out into different perspectives, so these artists find ways to attract a wide variety of people. Ribbons attract people who are into a sort of innocent cuteness, and occasionally you'll get ribbons made of leather for the more kinky group. Usually these thoughts are simply something the artists wants to have for said girl's appearance. "Fantasy is reality," said a homeless man to me this evening while I was acting out Hamlet in a McDonalds...

All in all, it's either a marketing attempt or something that the artist would like to see happen in reality.
It's been a while, folks!

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#4 Post by Sai »

Jerails wrote:"Fantasy is reality," said a homeless man to me this evening while I was acting out Hamlet in a McDonalds...
Eh? O_o

And I agree, there are alot of things you see actors/singers/entertainers/etc. wear that makes you think "Woah I'd never wear that, that's eccentric"and so on =D

But I like ribbon.....
I don't wear it though so I'm not "Evidence" o.o Maybe I'd wear ribbon if it wasn't a pain to attach to my hair and if I could assure noone would say I'm a girly-girl ¬.¬ (which probably won't happen XD )
I have a biiig long length of red ribbon in a drawer XD

Zintar
Miko-Snatcher

#5 Post by Zintar »

I haven't really noticed the ribbons. :shock:

Yep, they do add to the cuteness of the anime girls. :oops:

Well, where I come from all schools have uniforms.

And I guess thats were the ribbons come from. :roll:

Girls are not allowed to have their long hair open or covering their faces. :twisted:

It must be tired with a ribbon or platted and tired with a ribbon. :P

If I'm right then in japan, the schools have uniforms or atleast, the
private one's have. :twisted:

I guess that answers your question *chronoluminaire*. :wink:
Feb 26, 2004 - Trinity Riot *hands Zintar the 101 Posts Award*
Feb 25, 2004 - Blue Lemma *awards the 2nd-2nd-Place Shoujo Attack Prize to Zintar*
Nov 06, 2003 - Blue Lemma *hands Zintar the Pointless Post Award*

[lil Tony]

#6 Post by [lil Tony] »

I like the ribbons.
[lil Tony]

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

I like monkeys.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Herzeleid

#8 Post by Herzeleid »

I like Monkeys in girls hair.... :roll:

Lillico
Otaku Manga Maiden

#9 Post by Lillico »

I wear ribbons in my hair.. but then- I go to the thrift store and buy shool uniforms and wear those too.... *^_^*
when my debit card comes in I'm going to order one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 99413&rd=1 XD!!!!!!!!!!!!
(not ribbons. . . but. . .)
(sometimes I wear cat ears too XD)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Thoughts

#10 Post by musical74 »

I've seen a fair amount of ribbons on anime girls and even on games - but you don't see them much in real life.

I think one of the reasons for the ribbon is that it adds something to the character - in each case that I have seen, the character who had the ribbon was *innocent* in some fashion - clueless about love (Terra from FF6) a real airhead (Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo) - and it seems to add to their attractiveness (Miko looks better for having a ribbon in her hair!)

The few times I've seen ribbons in real people's hair, I always thought it added to their beauty =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Glasskitten

#11 Post by Glasskitten »

My unimportant thoughts on ribbons:

*It never occurred to me before that they are seen a lot more in anime and games than in reality. I just took them for granted like the big sparkling eyes.

*I hardly ever see them in real life, especially since my peers are trendy American teenagers who would not think of trying specifically to look cutely innocent.

*They really are cute and innocent looking and contribute positively to bishoujo in an imagined world.

*I want ribbons! Just last week I was complaining to my mother that I did not know where to find hair ribbons. As long as I cannot afford to buy Gothic Lolita dresses, I might as well find another esoteric way to stand out cutely...

Mmy-sama

#12 Post by Mmy-sama »

My girlfriend once tried to put a ribbon in her hair, and then failed miserably. Maybe there some trick to it or something?

Anyway, ribbons are really really cute and there should be more of them worn by girls in the physical plane. A government program that distibutes ribbons for free to encourage girls to wear them perhaps? Just dreaming up pipe dreams here.

Jerails
Veteran

#13 Post by Jerails »

...OR...We could take control of MTV or VH1, then force all the hottest female stars to wear ribbons in their hair. This would cause a chain reaction of fashion fads involving ribbons which would utterly destroy the "cute" value of ribbons entirely! It's genius! We'll kill ribbons and be done with the problem of having more girls wear it in a snap!

...That plan would suck. I think that if you're a girl (Or dood with long hair) and you want to wear ribbons, go for it. You'll look cuter. No point trying to force ribbons to become a fad. It'll just force it to fade away (Like mainstream fashion seems to be doing.).
It's been a while, folks!

Ezzetabi
Regular

#14 Post by Ezzetabi »

I also like ribbons. And I see that are quite rare in RL, but not totally absent!
Here, in italy, sometime girls wear ribbon. They are so beatiful... Pity thatare so rare... Strange.
My shoujo attack's tutorial page is completed!

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#15 Post by kara24601 »

I love ribbons too , but I can't remember ever wearing them.
Weird.