In Two Years...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Headache
Regular

In Two Years...

#1 Post by Headache »

Is it possible for a person to master a certain skill for two years?

Is it possible for a person to look exactly different after two years? Let's say, you seperated with your friend and met her/him again after two years. Is it possible for him/her to look completely different?

Can a weakling become strong after training for two years?

I hope you guys can answer my q's... Thanks!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: In Two Years...

#2 Post by Aleema »

Yesss ...? Anything is possible! Everything is possible!
Humans are capable of great things if they really want it.
So long as you explain that they really, really wanted to change, then it should be okay. :)

Now if it's a physical barrier, like whether or not they can get really big muscles or something, just know that in the real world, there are steroids, in a fantasy world, there is magic. :D

Headache
Regular

#3 Post by Headache »

I meant as in real life... My brother was as asking me if he can be strong by just learning Taekwondo in two years. I don't know how to answer him. He's eight.

The second q is just out of curiosity. I just wanted to know if somebody's physique can change in just two years (naturally, no plastic surgery).

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

Taekwondo wouldn't solely focus on strength, I don't think. It was more about technique and agility (as I can remember from when I took classes as a kid). If he took it constantly for 2 years, he would have some considerable skills, but in what? that's the question. Also, he'd need to meet with his class/instructor like every day. Not like, just every Friday. Not a big, big change with that.

I guess I was confused why you were asking the question because you posted in the Game forum. =P

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

Well, I got better at using my tablet in a year, and in two years, I hope I'm much better to make complete art for a substantial VN game.

But yeah, if you're not asking about game-making why put it in this forum derp o_O
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Headache
Regular

#6 Post by Headache »

Oh yeah! I forgot, I thought this was the General Discussion forum... 0_o

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

Yes... no wait, are you talking about physical appearance and skill. The answer's still yes though. As long as you diligent enough in those two years, anything could happen.

And in two years, your face could change a lot. I mean your face could become disfigured if you have a traffic accidents... ^_^ just kidding... Again your physical appearance could change a lot in two years... though not to the point not recognizable anymore.

And the younger you are, the more your body could change. If you're already 30 or 40's I doubt your face and body would change much. Perhaps just firmer or more muscles. But it's almost impossible to be taller or denser bones (since you're already past your growing period).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Wintermoon »

Narrow skills can be mastered quickly. Broad skills take a long time to master. It took me just a month to master the Python programming language, but I don't consider myself a master programmer even after ~20 years of experience.

Talent matters a lot. Even after one year of experience, I was a better programmer than some guys with more than 10 years of programming. I picked up math without studying at all. On the other hand, anything requiring dexterity is a lot more difficult for me to learn.

Dedication matters, but not as much as you would think. There's a limit to how fast the mind can absorb information. If you're competing at a high level, all your opponents have just as much dedication as you, so you can't use dedication to get an edge.

It's possible for a talented person to become pretty good (i.e. top of the class among a small group of students the same age) at Taekwondo in two years. It's not possible for a person with no particular talent to become a national champion at Taekwondo in two years, or ever.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

Physically, you can always get fatter/thinner, flabbier/fitter. You can get piercings, tattoos, cut or let your hair grow, dye it, highlight it, grow or shave your facial hair if your'e a guy, get glasses for straining your eyesight too much or getting contacts or eye surgery to get rid of glasses (also use colored contacts !). And, like LVUER said, get in an accident and get some scars :P
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#10 Post by playswithtribbles »

I suppose I should talk about how your motivation compared to your talent, is key to what could happen in two years.

However I will tell you what I believe:

That is: Anything can happen in two years.

Yes Anything.

You could become thin, obese, epic, weak, evil, good, insane, or even emo.
You could obtain superpowers, become an evil dictator, become a superhero, become leader of the black market.
Your future self could visit you, and you could become trapped in a continuous space-time loop with no end in sight, causing the multi-verse itself to collapse, and thus destroy the very fabric of time itself!!

I'd like to believe that anything is possible. Life is more fun that way.

After all, life is entirely based on one's perspective and beliefs.

So my advice:
-Belief what makes sense to you, and do what you believe is right.
-Don't judge yourself based on what others judge themselves with. Or, in other words; live up to your own standards, not the standards of others.

-Here are a couple motivating songs for the road: (ah who am I kidding? I just love Bon Jovi, and Journey.):

-Bon Jovi "It's my Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKFwtgUJHs

-Journey "Don't Stop Believin'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#11 Post by Deji »

playswithtribbles wrote: (...)
-Here are a couple motivating songs for the road: (ah who am I kidding? I just love Bon Jovi, and Journey.):
(...)
*off-topic* You're my favorite person today just for linking those songs! x3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#12 Post by playswithtribbles »

Deji wrote: *off-topic* You're my favorite person today just for linking those songs! x3
..Does that mean I get a cookie?
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."

Headache
Regular

#13 Post by Headache »

*Gives cookie to playswithtribbles* :D

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#14 Post by pkt »

I was working on 3d modeling for about an hour a day for about 2-3 years and I got a lot better. I'm no pro but yeah I don't have a teacher either. I also worked on learning basically various stuff related to making robots and video games. In short you can make a vast improvement in only 2 ish years.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

I believe I've wrote this in other thread, but I'll write it again anyway. I have a friend who was really didn't know anything about drawing at all. He is 30 years old and have an internet cafe business. But he threw all that off, join an art school, and study like crazy. In two years, he's now a peofessional illustrator and his drawing now is really good.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW