Your most favorite obscure game?

For the rest of your otaku life.
yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

Re: Your most favorite obscure game?

#61 Post by yummy »

I used to play lots of Point & Click games and this one caught my attention: The Moment of Silence.
Like all P&C games, finding the clues is a hassle, but I kept on because the story was so great. Something about a world conspiration, Orwellian atmosphere and lots of thinking about modern technologies (that are still being an issue in modern politics).
But I don't know anyone who ever played it, so that might make it obscure.

There are also independant games that I enjoyed, Darwinia by the indie Introversion, for example.
Its storytelling technique was awesome because it was very immersive. Plus, its gameplay was quite unique: you made mouse gestures to create units. I think I never had so much empathy for little green pixels at that time.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#62 Post by vaanknight »

Hm, as for games, I suppose Haunting Ground/Demento for the PS2, I just love it, it has some of the BEST graphics in PS2, it was truly amazing back when it came out, but almost no one payed attention to it, it's a shame (not to mention the Cowgirl costume for Fiona, the main char... HAWT!). Okami is pretty unknown as well, but it's just GORGEOUS, it almost makes me cry when you awaken a new guardian sapling and the unending river of flowers and water bursts out. La Pucelle Tactics and the Metropolis Maker series are also among my lesser known favourite games.

For PSOne they would be so many that I'd never finish. I'll mention only Vagrant Story, one of the greatest masterpieces of RPG history, seriously. It doesn't have the slightest failure. It gained a little popularity after Final Fantasy XII came out (same dev. team), but it's still unfairly unknown by most gamers.

And yes, I love the Princess Maker series, but I don't think it's that obscure among otakus. xD I'm dying to get a copy of the new PM 5, and I don't even have PM 4!! my understanding of kana is in diapers, tho (and practically Zero in Kanjis, othern than no, ichi, ni, san, and what not).

Anime? the movie Graveyard of fireflies WILL make you weep, unless you lack a soul. I can even laugh at the death of Bambi's mum, but this movie squeezed my heart.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#63 Post by IonicMomo »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but one of my all-time favorites is The Last Express. It's not really obscure...but I haven't met a lot of people who've played it. Then again, I don't play many games, so...

Even though it's a little old (from the late 90s), as far as storytelling goes, it's one of the best games I've ever experienced. I don't really know how to describe it, but the way the story unfolds is just beautiful, with interweaving plot threads and a complex cast of characters. There isn't a whole lot of action (there is some), it's more of a logic/puzzle game that involves the player slowly piecing the story together...but in the end it's the player's actions (or failure to act) that lead to a slew of different possible endings. It's set on the Orient Express just prior to WWI, which I think is a fascinating era, and I'm sure most history lovers would agree...maybe someone's heard of it?
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

Lyyli
Regular

#64 Post by Lyyli »

Demento (Haunting Ground in the west) from Capcom. I really love that game, it's so much fun being chased around in a big castle! Though it's very creepy the first time. It doesn't seem to be that popular and known by many.
Meep.

jadacamilla
Regular

#65 Post by jadacamilla »

err... i love otome games so.... my most obscure game could be all the otoges i've played...

then again in non-otome, i love professor layton soo much its killing me... its the best game in the non otome games i've ever played XDD

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#66 Post by LVUER »

Haunting Ground. I love it. I get all the endings and uncover all the secrets. Though after you get revolver, the game doesn't scare me anymore...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#67 Post by vaanknight »

^ well, I never found it scary at all, it was more the bouncy characteristics of the game what hooked me up. -///-

Random Rare Easter Egg: have you ever looked at Daniella's face and specially hair through her glass shard in the character model viewer? Creepy...

SugarlessGiiRL
Regular
Projects: Starry Night Blues [GxB]

#68 Post by SugarlessGiiRL »

Aurelia-Aurora wrote:Disgaea. Nuff sed.
Soul Nomad and The World Eaters as well!! :)
Last edited by SugarlessGiiRL on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageRecruiting!! If you're interested pls help

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#69 Post by sayuri »

I'm pretty sure my favorite game of all time is Eternal Sonata. Upon reflection the gameplay isn't all that great but it's just so pwetty :). And now I have a silly crush on Frederic Chopin which even I can see is creepy :P.

J. Datie
Veteran

#70 Post by J. Datie »

Does Mega Man Legends count as obscure? It was the only Mega Man game to not get a hundred-ten-thousand sequels, despite ending with a cliffhanger, so I guess that counts?
sayuri wrote:I'm pretty sure my favorite game of all time is Eternal Sonata. Upon reflection the gameplay isn't all that great but it's just so pwetty :). And now I have a silly crush on Frederic Chopin which even I can see is creepy :P.
I don't blame you. I have a crush on Frederic Chopin's hat. It's just so stylish!

sayuri
Veteran

#71 Post by sayuri »

Still, I dunno how they got this...

http://operachic.typepad.com/photos/unc ... sonata.jpg

from this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... photo.jpeg

Ahh I love Japanese people ^_^

TyranX
Regular

#72 Post by TyranX »

Hmm. I'd have to say one of my favorite games would have to be "Mana Khemia:Alchemists of Al Revis" for the PS2. It's even a renai type game! I've seen all the endings. +10 for Nikki's ending (Nekomimi) but as for Muppy.... dear god. My eyes burned. I felt pretty bad for the main character after that.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you to death with their experience."

Current Status="A brilliantly lazy man"

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#73 Post by LVUER »

Mana Khemia is an obscure game? Well, I love it too, you know (and all Atelier Iris series, AT1 and 2).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#74 Post by azureXtwilight »

SugarlessGiiRL wrote:
Aurelia-Aurora wrote:Disgaea. Nuff sed.
Soul Nomad and The World Eaters as well!! :)
I second that.

sayuri
Veteran

#75 Post by sayuri »

I could never figure out how to play Disgaea. I thought it would be kinda like Fire Emblem (my one regret after switching from Nintendo to Sony). I was wrong. So many menus :cry: . I like my RPGs about as complex as your average FF game, thank you very much! :lol: