ALICE (was: funny softwarez)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#106 Post by mikey »

I also think putting out a basic version will be helpful. Constant updates like it's been the case with Ren'Py will then do the polishing work ^_^.
Looks really great! :P

Ren

#107 Post by Ren »

*is in admiration*

Wow, you're really fastO_O;;
T^TAnd it looks so cute toooooooo!
cute interface=happy me<3

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#108 Post by PyTom »

I'm not sure how a user interface can be cute... but then again, I do hate GUI programming with a passion. It's like slogging uphill to school in the snow... only to do it again in a few hours.

I really do have to be in the right mood to get something done here, which is why ALICE is taking so long for what is a much smaller program then Ren'Py.

At least I found out that Llamacon will be held a town away from the
Norman Rockwell museum, so I'll be getting to visit that on my way back from the con. Not overly relevant, but hey, since when do I keep on topic? And NR's "The Four Freedoms" series are probably some of the best paintings ever.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#109 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

*looks at Ren's artwork, and passes out*

I had a Computer Science professor who once described GUI programming as "sexy". It can be a little tiresome, trying to get everything where you want it, but I think GUI programming is kind of fun

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#110 Post by PyTom »

Bah! Give me languages any day. GUI programming may be sexy, but it's the sort of sexy that requires you to do the same thing a thousand times... (for values of a thousand that are close to six.)

Anyway, got a bit more done on ALICE today. I wrote the code to drive the actual render. So we can now produce png files for each of the configurations.

I aso implemented config.py support. Basically, ALICE now looks for files named doll.config.py. If it sees one, it executes it, and sticks the global variables from the evaluation into a dictionary. This is used by the rest of alice for configuration purposes. Currently, only one variable is used: defaults, which is expected to be a list of (category, layer) tuples giving the layers that are turned on by default.

I also cleaned up the code, and implemented loading images from .azip files. (Which are expected to be uncompressed zip files containing alice dolls in them.)

So, things are getting fairly close to a release. I need to add in alice and betty, and then it's just packaging and testing and the like. And I doubt I'll do much testing... that's what everyone else is for. :-) Someone else can write the docs for this one, I won't.

Oh, random observation: It's hard to work with giant images in realtime. So I suggest to doll-makers that they keep their alice dolls small. If you want to support large zooms in, then make two dolls... one for the full-body doll, and one for the zoomed head.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#111 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:GUI programming may be sexy, but it's the sort of sexy that requires you to do the same thing a thousand times...
I'll grant you that. GUI programming is fun at first, but it gets mundane after not too long...
PyTom wrote:And I doubt I'll do much testing... that's what everyone else is for.
You should work for Microsoft ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#112 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
PyTom wrote:And I doubt I'll do much testing... that's what everyone else is for.
You should work for Microsoft ^_^
In my summer day job, we write code that writes code that flys fighter jets. That, we test, and prove correct. So it's really a matter of priorities.

(I also kid slightly. I do test, but for a system as complicated and non-unit-testable as Ren'Py, it's hard to make sure you've gotten all interactions down. Those are where the bugs lie.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#113 Post by PyTom »

A blonde betty, anyone?
Attachments
betty_blonde.png
betty_blonde.png (82.64 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#114 Post by monele »

Does it mean what I think it means? :D Tints added?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#115 Post by PyTom »

If by "Tints added" you mean "a C module that interfaces with loaded images and can recolor them by applying a constant offset to hue, and a multiplier/offset pair to saturation and luminance, currently without any sort of user interface that allows the user to change them, instead requiring the user to go in and edit the source code directly to add new recolorations of images", then yes.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: ALICE (was: funny softwarez)

#116 Post by kara24601 »

Pretty! I'm not big on Green eyes and I think they should be Blue or some other nice color.
Then again, I am pretty dumb when it comes to the Alice program so I wouldn't know how to even change something like that without messing things up. :roll: :oops: :lol:

Criptych
Regular
Projects: ALICE.NET

Re:

#117 Post by Criptych »

PyTom wrote:

Code: Select all

([^_]+)_([^_]+)_([^-+_]+)(_([^-+]+))?([-+][\d.]+).png
The person coming up with the best explanation of what this means as a smiley will get their name listed in a comment in the ALICE source code.
"I have contracted a rare infectious disease that causes my ears to twitch uncontrollably while I roll on the floor in fits of laughter."
...Yeah. That's it.

On the topic of nudity: why not put the offensive bits in their own layer? Those who want "doll nudity" can have it, or they can turn on the other layer for "real nude" dolls.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. —Pablo Picasso

Magnum (not logged)

Re: ALICE (was: funny softwarez)

#118 Post by Magnum (not logged) »

Hey those anybody have other resources here

other than Alice and Ren?