Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) (News 11/15)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - UPDATED 7-23 1

#16 Post by Obscura »

@pyonkatchi

LoL...what the hell. I had to look him up, not having played portal 2. There are tears coming out of my eyes right now from laughing that hard.

Thank you for playing...and thanks for you kind comments. Hope you enjoy it. Don't hold back on any criticisms either!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#17 Post by Destiny »

Pyonkotchi wrote:I SHRIEKED WHEN THIS GUY SHOWED UP

Cave Johnson is that you? Water you doin you got to get back to aperture!
OH MY GOD O__O

Now that you mention it, your so right :'D
Cave Johnson!
After having problems with moon stones you settle with overweight? Talk about taking a career xDDD

@Obscura
Sorry, if I'm just overseeing something obvious, but...
Where should that screen be o.o
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Obscura »

@Destiny

Hmm--looking in my version to see if there is a bug. I'll update this as soon as I can.
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Obscura »

@Destiny...okay...in the upper right hand corner there is a dark blue box. But it only shows up after the initial starting college-id-card sequence.

It should show up after you've played the game once and gotten one of the 3 main endings.
Again, make choices that generally show you are mostly mature, kind, respect Alex's career, and well, that you work out your body. :lol: I'll also revise the code and get an easier version up this week, since it still might be too difficult for many players?
And whoops, guys ... there are three endings, but two of them are labeled 1/3 *slaps forehead.* The special one with the CG is actually 3 of 3. It shouldn't change the game...but I'll post another version up soon.
website

Destiny
Veteran

#20 Post by Destiny »

Aaaaaaaah, it appeared xD
I swear, it wasn't there the last time.
But closing the game once and the restarting it seems to have fixed that :3
Then I will go hunting now >:3

And nooooo, don't change it!
It's more realistic :)
I mean, seriously, when you sit on a bar and a hot guy/girl talks to you, you have like 1000 thoughts in your head and your 3-6 choices show that perfectly fine :D
Stay with it, it's perfect this way (at least for me, I always enjoy testing out the reaction from people around me!)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Obscura »

@Destiny - haha, okay. I'll post a walkthrough sometime this week for people having problems though.
website

Destiny
Veteran

#22 Post by Destiny »

Sounds reasonable ;)
And yay, got the perfect ending.
Seriously, it seems like Alex got me fooled multiple times
I mean, he often reacted seemingly happy with a choice but looking at the points he is disappointed? How mean, if you can't see the points xD
No wonder, I wasn't able to get ending one.

Except from that:
Thank god for save slots.
Even though I just knew he would dislike making out in the office, but I just had to try it out, simply to see what happens %D
Definitly a game I will surely play now and then when I had a little break to forget what happens exactly when (so it isn't boring) ^_^

P.S.
Random comment: Ignore the bruise, Alex looks hot without a shirt >:3

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Um... so, I haven't finished the game yet. However, there's one thing about it so far that bothers me. I:

When you pick the "wrong" choice, you're given a couple of chances to redeem yourself. If you decide not to pick the "right" choice, you get screwed over horribly. Disproportionately horribly, imho. This makes me feel like the game is forcing me to play a certain way to have anything resembling a satisfying ending. To be honest, this makes it a bit boring for me. I guess what I tend to expect from VNs is that you're introduced to different opportunities based on the choices you make, not that your opportunities are cut short if you decide to go any way but the obviously "right" one.
Also, I find it a bit unrealistic that making one inconsequential choice will lead to a life of ruin. Decide to sleep in on a Saturday and watch TV versus going to the gym? Obviously this means you're a no-life loser!
Sorry if this seems a bit harsh. I at least like that you tend to have a lot of different options to choose from when it comes to conversation. C:

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Obscura »

Actually those are great points. Thanks for the feedback...I really appreciate any criticisms! Especially any that decrease the enjoyment of the game for you.

Perhaps for this game, I should have just removed them so the player wouldn't have ended up dying so much. If I understand correctly, you're saying you'd prefer lots of options with lots of story lines > no options > options with quick deaths? Which I can understand. I'll keep this in mind if this game gets remade with more guys.

Also, thanks so much for the feedback on the grammar...will get another version up this week.

Victoria Jennings wrote:Um... so, I haven't finished the game yet. However, there's one thing about it so far that bothers me. I:

When you pick the "wrong" choice, you're given a couple of chances to redeem yourself. If you decide not to pick the "right" choice, you get screwed over horribly. Disproportionately horribly, imho. This makes me feel like the game is forcing me to play a certain way to have anything resembling a satisfying ending. To be honest, this makes it a bit boring for me. I guess what I tend to expect from VNs is that you're introduced to different opportunities based on the choices you make, not that your opportunities are cut short if you decide to go any way but the obviously "right" one.
Also, I find it a bit unrealistic that making one inconsequential choice will lead to a life of ruin. Decide to sleep in on a Saturday and watch TV versus going to the gym? Obviously this means you're a no-life loser!
Sorry if this seems a bit harsh. I at least like that you tend to have a lot of different options to choose from when it comes to conversation. C:
website

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#25 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Aww...I really liked this game. I've only played through it once, and I got the 2/3 ending. It was bittersweet. Is there a happy ending to be had?

I look forward to more paths.

Congrats on the release.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Poketto Kunoichi
Regular

#26 Post by Poketto Kunoichi »

I received the 2/3 ending. So, for my short opinion...

I loved this visual novel. I don't think I had a single bored moment. I just stopped by to check if there were any new games, and man am I glad I did. :D I was laughing and such in real life.

The characters were charming and realistic, a nice break from a cast of the standard -deres. Penny's my favorite; I freaking loved her. She reminds me of some of my friends. The plot too, I had no idea what to expect, and
damn the introduction of Dr. Adonis
was great. Comedy, romance, suspense, drama, good music, it had everything.

The after-credit scene made me d'aww, too. I recommended it for my best friend to play. ^_^ All in all, awesome job.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Obscura »

FatUnicornGames wrote:Aww...I really liked this game. I've only played through it once, and I got the 2/3 ending. It was bittersweet. Is there a happy ending to be had?

I look forward to more paths.

Congrats on the release.
Thanks Crystal!!! Glad you enjoyed it.
Yup, there's are 2 more endings. After you finish 1 of the main 3, a counter box will show up in the next game you play that shows you your relationship points as you build them through the game. The "happy" ending will require you to make Alex like you .... a lot. And it's not totally obvious sometimes, what he likes either. Check my answer to Destiny above if you get stuck.
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Obscura »

@poketto:
Oh my, thanks for your feedback! Totally happy hearing that. I'm really glad you enjoyed it and found it funny. I really tried to make either every scene have some drama or some laughs, so I'm really pleased you felt it was engaging. Like, I want to hug your comment so hard.

I hope your friend likes it as well!
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - UPDATED 7-24

#29 Post by Obscura »

7/24/2012 update: a new version for all systems correcting some typos and some name attributions. (Link at the top of the thread.)
website

Arelune
Regular

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - UPDATED 7-24

#30 Post by Arelune »

Congratulations on your first game. And a fine game it is. It was really funny and I was never bored. :mrgreen:
People who love choices are going to love this. Really, there were a lot. O_O

The characters were great. Music, backgrounds and GUI were good too.
I love that the answers for Alex aren't that obvious and you have to be
mature. Good man. :D Though I do welcome the relationship box for the second playthrough. Else I wouldn't have figured it out so fast.
I agree with Victoria about the quick 'deaths'. But at least you get second chances.
One easy thing I think you should change: the little icon. It still shows the placeholder Eileen. Making your own, makes the game even a little more polished. Played the 23/7 version, but I don't think it has changed.