Need advice with rape scenes

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
specialtantei
Veteran

Re: Need advice with rape scenes

#16 Post by specialtantei »

I like to inform myself before writing something that might need having some knowledge on the topic rather than writing the first thing that comes to my head. I'm studying for exams right now but when I'll finish I'll look for rape reports and experiences, information about Japanese gods, agorafobia and paranoia, and a whole load of medical stuff *writes them down in case she forgets*.
I agree with VerdeICe. Just because rape is something traumatic we can't ignore it and imagine it doesn't exist, and everytime we read/see it in art bark at it as if it were some kind of blasphemy.

Off - topic: Stephen King FTW. Anyone remembers Misery? That could be considered on the same level of disturbing rape is on, even worse.
Is it wrong to ask what a Mary-Sue is *confused* ? I've herd the term before but I don't really get its concept. And don't you even worry, I can't stand those books so I'd never write something similar. I've only read them because they were a Christmas present from my Mom *sad face*.

Let me brush them for you *grabs the brush but first drinks chi tea with him*

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#17 Post by MaiMai »

specialtantei wrote:I agree with VerdeICe. Just because rape is something traumatic we can't ignore it and imagine it doesn't exist, and everytime we read/see it in art bark at it as if it were some kind of blasphemy.

Off - topic: Stephen King FTW. Anyone remembers Misery? That could be considered on the same level of disturbing rape is on, even worse.
Is it wrong to ask what a Mary-Sue is *confused* ? I've herd the term before but I don't really get its concept. And don't you even worry, I can't stand those books so I'd never write something similar. I've only read them because they were a Christmas present from my Mom *sad face*.

Let me brush them for you *grabs the brush but first drinks chi tea with him*
There's a reason why people bark at it and it's because of its execution which is often too clumsy and hamfisted and when an attempt to make it a part of the story, it becomes one of the more negative tropes that FatUnicorn mentioned. As a result it's pretty hard to NOT side eye any mention of rape that becomes central to the plot because there will be doubt in its execution.

Addendum: That aside, yes, there is nothing stopping anyone from writing such scenes, but I think enough has been said about doing it with information and care.

As for what a Mary-Sue is, I'm surprised you haven't heard of the term yet: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

specialtantei
Veteran

#18 Post by specialtantei »

Thanks for the explanation, MaiMai! I'm not that familiar with some internet vocabulary, give me some time *blush*.
Hmm.
Well, my tragic has a sad background, but not everyone likes her. She's not overpowered. She's actually powerless. She only has 2 love interests and the others like her as a friend, don't care about her or want to make her life a living hell. That's about it. The only people who see her as extremely beautiful are her 2 love interests, although me myself and the others from the team would only shove her in the 'normal' cathegory. I think she's nowhere on the road of becoming a Mary-Sue. I hope.
*starts polishing her writing skills so her characters won't end up being hated tropes*

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#19 Post by MaiMai »

I would like to clarify some misconceptions/assumptions made about Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus because really, the standards that we apply to those can apply to some already well established characters that we love (Batman anyone?)

What's important is that your character is interesting. And that means not just having a bunch of traits, it's having a personality and motivation and seeing how the two clash or work together. Batman aka Bruce Wayne is rich, handsome, and can probably get all the hot super-models he wants. He has the well known back story of dead parents, due to the both of them being shot to death by a mugger. Tragic right? But what makes him interesting? As Batman, we find that the villains he fights challenge his own values as a crime fighter and most of all as a person. He finds people he loves and cares for, but his lifestyle does get in the way of him ever being happy again.

So whether your character has a power level of over 9000 or not, you need to make the character a person who we want to get to know more and see how their story and lives are challenged and how they deal with such a challenge.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#20 Post by FatUnicornGames »

MaiMai wrote: There's a reason why people bark at it and it's because of its execution which is often too clumsy and hamfisted and when an attempt to make it a part of the story, it becomes one of the more negative tropes that FatUnicorn mentioned.
Exactly this. I think that there are definitely stories that should be told about things that are controversial. It is just that you have to expect (which I believe you guys are) that people are going to REALLY peel every layer back on a controversial work and be much more judgmental about it than if it was of lighter subject matter.

It is sounding like you are trying to be sensitive about this challenge, and that's all anybody can ask.
specialtantei wrote: *starts polishing her writing skills so her characters won't end up being hated tropes*
Try not to stress too much about it in the first draft. I would gather a trusted group of people you know (not necessarily friends) to look over your drafts and give input.

There are two types of criticism (sorry if I am being preachy, this is just what I've learned in school and from TONS of experiences having my work critiqued by large numbers of people)--

a) The Minority Report - as in, one person tells you that it would be rad if the main character is an ALIEN or something equally off base or inane. Just be polite and tell them you'll consider it and thank you for your help and move on.

b) The Group Consensus - as in, the same thing -- either positive or negative -- keeps coming up from reader to reader, these are the things you HAVE to consider when you are creating art meant to be consumed by the masses. You don't necessarily have to make the changes suggested, but you need to keep in mind that your work is presenting something in a certain way. Even if you don't make the changes, being aware of the way your writing is coming off can be really helpful.

This goes without saying, but try not to be offended if you disagree with the critique-- That is something that took me a long time to develop. You will want to defend your work, try not to. That isn't what critiques are about. That comes after the work is already out there for your audience, though really probably not even then (it comes off as amateur, if done incorrectly).

One other thing I have a hard time with as a writer - There is a term - 'Kill Your Darlings' (or Kill Your Babies if you prefer ;D). It basically says that no mater how married you are to any turn of phrase, moment or character you have to divorce yourself objectively from your work in order to really see what is working and what isn't. Sometimes something you love (I am not referring to the assault, necessarily) just isn't working with the story, and no amount of tweaking or revising will make it work. I'm not saying this specifically about anything in your work, just laying it out there for you to consider. I know it has been SUPER helpful for me.

Ok! Rant over!
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

specialtantei
Veteran

#21 Post by specialtantei »

Good stuff I love Batman so I understand what you're talking about ~.
I'm trying to make my characters as interesting as possible, so people will focus less on the 'cliché' highschool setting and get more involved into the story. So it's not only the main character, but the whole cast who are subjected to strong personality traits, and even though they might have some cliché trait (like the really touchy female) I try to combine that with their other traits. I hope I made myself understood and didn't confuse anyone right now :lol:.
MaiMai wrote:So whether your character has a power level of over 9000 or not, you need to make the character a person who we want to get to know more and see how their story and lives are challenged and how they deal with such a challenge.
I'm working hard on that. I know my writing skills aren't the best so I've been reading a lot lately (mostly VNs to get familiar with the style I should be using, but also some lovely paper books; Alan Poe and Carlos Ruiz Zafón(some of you might know who he is) are my favourite inspirational authors at the moment ).
I'm a really picky reader so I don't read anything unless the characters are interesting. If they are not, the story can be the best in the world, I won't give it any chance.
Applying the Mary-Sue term to VNs, it makes me think of how Furudo Erika from Umineko is such a well done parody of that trait. She was a huge Mary-Sue yet a great character nonetheless.
FatUnicornGames wrote:Exactly this. I think that there are definitely stories that should be told about things that are controversial. It is just that you have to expect (which I believe you guys are) that people are going to REALLY peel every layer back on a controversial work and be much more judgmental about it than if it was of lighter subject matter.
It is sounding like you are trying to be sensitive about this challenge, and that's all anybody can ask.
I've seen the same stuff happen not only to writing but also to art, movies, etc. The more controversial something is the bigger the chance it gets a 'Horrible' tag from most of the viewers. I guess humans are really ashamed of their flaws. Or maybe I'm just to relaxed and open-minded when it comes to controversial subjects.
Aww, you really are so nice. I am, in fact, trying to be as sensitive as possible. I don't like exagerating things yet I can't stand underating them. It is difficult to keep a balanced, harmless position when it comes to something like this. Sometimes I feel bothered by myself when I see I create conflicts, and I'm never sure if it's entirely my fault or if the subject has also something to do.

lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

#22 Post by lemuel »

By no means avoid the rape if it be essential to the story - a legitimate choice.

What I would do if called upon to write such a scene would be to use sharp, short sentences that allow the reader to understand what happens without going into detail. This should capture the heroine's horror at her ordeal without forcing the reader to read long and emotionally wrenching passages dealing with an upsetting issue (that I cannot stand).

specialtantei
Veteran

#23 Post by specialtantei »

lemuel wrote:By no means avoid the rape if it be essential to the story - a legitimate choice.

What I would do if called upon to write such a scene would be to use sharp, short sentences that allow the reader to understand what happens without going into detail. This should capture the heroine's horror at her ordeal without forcing the reader to read long and emotionally wrenching passages dealing with an upsetting issue (that I cannot stand).
Thanks for your support ~~!
That's more or less what I have in mind. I feel the same, I can't stand hard to swallow themes depicted for too long.

lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

#24 Post by lemuel »

No problem! I also have controversial themes in my story (including rape), and would hate for anyone to say to me "Thou canst not deal with these issues because I do not like them!"

By the Sutras that guide my life, I am a Buddhist if not the son of a Buddhist, and I will express Buddhist concepts as the Sutras show them. The supreme god is insane and doomed to Hells! Their is no Creator! Alcohol and abortion are wrong! There are no souls! So given these concepts, dealing with rape is not controversial for me.