Zefii - A Transcendent Journey (RELEASED!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
animedaisuki
Regular
Completed: Zefii Beta 1.0
Projects: Zefii - A Transcendent Journey
Organization: Balibu Studios

Re: Zefii-- A New Online Dating Sim Game (free giveaway)

#16 Post by animedaisuki »

v3-kei wrote:I'll be blunt: You need to thread very carefully here; your character pictures as seen in the trailer (I don't even know if they are CG or sprites) look like they are being traced because of their inconsistencies and their similarities with so many different FAMOUS mangaka/anime artists. Please consider scraping them and hire a new artist, because to be frank, your current artists can be accused of tracing or stealing other people's art.

That being said, if the styles are too dfferent, even just putting them on the background instead of being placed in the background still won't work for creating a fluid experience for the players, I think.
Thanks for being honest. While I did adopt some artists' styles, I DID NOT trace the pictures. Though, I'm not doing art as a career, I've had training in art for 20 years. I know better than tracing. You can say I borrowed substantially from other artists' work, and I will admit that. I have already made attempts to change them so that they look more original. I just uploaded a newer version of my character design in the attachment. Please take a look. If you still think I need to make more changes, please do let me know. I'm happy to hear from you and I think your comments are important.

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

#17 Post by Surufe »

My favourite style (/>v<)/ Boy Love? No? Fine, boy love interest? Hot dude? Please?

v3-kei
Regular

#18 Post by v3-kei »

animedaisuki wrote:
v3-kei wrote:I'll be blunt: You need to thread very carefully here; your character pictures as seen in the trailer (I don't even know if they are CG or sprites) look like they are being traced because of their inconsistencies and their similarities with so many different FAMOUS mangaka/anime artists. Please consider scraping them and hire a new artist, because to be frank, your current artists can be accused of tracing or stealing other people's art.

That being said, if the styles are too dfferent, even just putting them on the background instead of being placed in the background still won't work for creating a fluid experience for the players, I think.
Thanks for being honest. While I did adopt some artists' styles, I DID NOT trace the pictures. Though, I'm not doing art as a career, I've had training in art for 20 years. I know better than tracing. You can say I borrowed substantially from other artists' work, and I will admit that. I have already made attempts to change them so that they look more original. I just uploaded a newer version of my character design in the attachment. Please take a look. If you still think I need to make more changes, please do let me know. I'm happy to hear from you and I think your comments are important.
I am really, really glad to hear that you didn't trace... it's like, my conscience won't let me let it being unsaid.

As of now, the make up you apply on the girl's face makes it look more fantasy-esque like, I like that change. May I suggest something else? Try different coloring style. The guys look like using more cellshade style, you can apply the same style to the girl. It will work wonder. The coloring looks neat, but it still looks like coloring a manga artwork. But maybe that is just me nitpicking.

Another suggestion about coloring, because purple is fantasy-esque hair color, you may want to add some skin color to its shade to make it has a softer look.

On the other hand, hiring a n exclusive colorists for all of your character arts will make them having the same style. In conclusion, I will suggest to have the same style in every little bit of artwork there! :)
Moved account to fuicchi.

animedaisuki
Regular

#19 Post by animedaisuki »

v3-kei wrote:
animedaisuki wrote:

I am really, really glad to hear that you didn't trace... it's like, my conscience won't let me let it being unsaid.

As of now, the make up you apply on the girl's face makes it look more fantasy-esque like, I like that change. May I suggest something else? Try different coloring style. The guys look like using more cellshade style, you can apply the same style to the girl. It will work wonder. The coloring looks neat, but it still looks like coloring a manga artwork. But maybe that is just me nitpicking.

Another suggestion about coloring, because purple is fantasy-esque hair color, you may want to add some skin color to its shade to make it has a softer look.

On the other hand, hiring a n exclusive colorists for all of your character arts will make them having the same style. In conclusion, I will suggest to have the same style in every little bit of artwork there! :)

Thanks for the reply! Hope I didn't offend you in the previous post. As far as I know, this artist's style is very hard to be converted into the anime style, especially the hair part. All of her works that have been made into anime turned out horrible (horrible compared to the manga, but still good work). I'll try to make it look more anime. As for hiring, it's quite difficult? The really good ones have their own jobs. The free ones are not that good? Coloring of one single character takes 10 hours (the average number of hours even for professionals). Perhaps the trailer wasn't too clear? I believed I did all the coloring of the hair in the same way. I drew every single hair string with the pencil tool. Maybe the blur effect in the game made it harder to see that.
Last edited by animedaisuki on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animedaisuki
Regular

#20 Post by animedaisuki »

Surufe wrote:My favourite style (/>v<)/ Boy Love? No? Fine, boy love interest? Hot dude? Please?
Yes, there will be hot dudes! I'm a big fan of BL. I haven't added that into the game yet, but I'll try to do so!

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

#21 Post by Surufe »

Cheer for fan girl and BL Game. Try to do it soon. Ehehe, this isn't finish yet and I'm already like

v3-kei
Regular

#22 Post by v3-kei »

animedaisuki wrote:
v3-kei wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Hope I didn't offend you in the previous post. As far as I know, this artist's style is very hard to be converted into the anime style, especially the hair part. All of her works that have been made into anime turned out horrible (horrible compared to the manga, but still good work). I'll try to make it look more anime. As for hiring, it's quite difficult? The really good ones have their own jobs. The free ones are not that good? Coloring of one single character takes 10 hours (the average number of hours even for professionals). Perhaps the trailer wasn't too clear? I believed I did all the coloring of the hair in the same way. I drew every single hair string with the pencil tool. Maybe the blur effect in the game made it harder to see that.
Ah... I apologize, the video looks really blurred to me, so I probably watched it with a clouded judgment. I apologize. Also, no, you never offended me, it was more like the opposite that I was worried about.

And yes, the distinct style of the mangaka is very hard to be moved into anime. There are some nice coloring examples from her book cover illustrations if I am not mistaken....

So this game is wholly a one man team? Good luck, thank you for your hardwork. Ganbarinasai....
Moved account to fuicchi.

animedaisuki
Regular

#23 Post by animedaisuki »

v3-kei wrote:
animedaisuki wrote:
v3-kei wrote:

Ah... I apologize, the video looks really blurred to me, so I probably watched it with a clouded judgment. I apologize. Also, no, you never offended me, it was more like the opposite that I was worried about.

And yes, the distinct style of the mangaka is very hard to be moved into anime. There are some nice coloring examples from her book cover illustrations if I am not mistaken....

So this game is wholly a one man team? Good luck, thank you for your hardwork. Ganbarinasai....
For the graphics, yes, it is just me doing all the work (I'm also doing the Chinese and Japanese translation). I do have a friend who's a professional digital artist giving me advice from time to time, but she's not actually involved in any of the game production per se. We have people doing other parts of the game, such as coding, music, Korean translation and proofreading. Thanks for all your support and comments! I will work hard to reflect all the points that you suggested!

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#24 Post by zankizuna »

I read your conversation with v3-kei all the way.. I'm glad to see this is developing well :)

animedaisuki
Regular

#25 Post by animedaisuki »

zankizuna wrote:I read your conversation with v3-kei all the way.. I'm glad to see this is developing well :)
I'm very happy about the development too! Thanks so much for all the encouragement and criticisms! I've been working on all the changes that you guys suggested! Really appreciated the help from everyone!

animedaisuki
Regular

Re: Zefii-- A New Online Dating Sim Game

#26 Post by animedaisuki »

it's been a long time, but the test version of the game will finally be ready by the end of this week! thanks for waiting! download at http://zefii.weebly.com/index.html

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Re: Zefii-- A New Online Dating Sim Game

#27 Post by inhalance »

Just stumbled across this thread. This seems like a pretty interesting idea, and I read a little of your conversation with v3-kei as well. I'm excited to see the test version this weekend! :)
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

animedaisuki
Regular

Re: Zefii-- A New Online Dating Sim Game (releasing this wee

#28 Post by animedaisuki »

aww thanks! i really wish i had more time with this project though... not the best work, but the best i could do. i ended up not just doing all the artwork but also all the coding... glad my musician didn't fail me, or i'd really cry lol

animedaisuki
Regular

Re: Zefii - A Transcendent Journey (releasing this week!)

#29 Post by animedaisuki »

I want to send my apology to everyone. The game may not be released this weekend. The previous web designer stole all the work... and is now claiming that the game is his work. We might have to solve this problem in court...

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Re: Zefii - A Transcendent Journey (screenshots and new webs

#30 Post by inhalance »

Are you serious? Wow, what a shallow thing to do. :\ I hope you'll be able to resolve this without it causing you too much trouble (well, maybe except for the court part). Best of luck to you.
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP: