Rinima's Art thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: Rinima's Art and request thread

#16 Post by Rinima »

MaiMai wrote:Your proportions are getting better! Keep up at that. I'd say finish coloring the whole thing before trying to gauge how good it is.

It still doesn't seem like you have a good approach on how to draw eyes. What I suggest is copying a different artist's style of eyes so you can get a better sense of how they appear on anime styled faces.
Well, it's good that my proportions are getting better ^^ And yea, I was wondering about the style of the colouring, wasn't sure if I should try and go down this route of soft colouring or hard colouring :\

Ah, yea, I'd noticed I'm terrible at eyes. I've been trying to have a go at Doomfest's style of eyes, but I can't seem to get it :\
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#17 Post by chocojax »

In response to your hands:
In my opinion, I learn a lot better when I try to focus on what I want to learn specifically, on a different layer. (For example, drawing where I assume the bones are on a different layer, removing the photo, looking at my traced layer, and then attempting to draw it again from memory.) I do believe crtlpaint went over something like this.

Edit: It's also good to quickly sketch out what's hidden as well! Since it helps you make sure that nothing unrealistic is happening. I can't really think up of any good examples of that, though!

In response to coloring:
Hmm. I really love bold colors, so I'd prefer hard coloring, of course. :P (I'd also suggest going the hard coloring route if you want to have some depth to your drawings in the future, since it forces you to go extreme with forms. Soft coloring tends to flatten out the drawing, but it is pretty cutesy if done right.)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Rinima »

chocojax wrote:In response to your hands:
In my opinion, I learn a lot better when I try to focus on what I want to learn specifically, on a different layer. (For example, drawing where I assume the bones are on a different layer, removing the photo, looking at my traced layer, and then attempting to draw it again from memory.) I do believe crtlpaint went over something like this.
Actually, that's exactly what I did ^^ Sorta.
chocojax wrote:In response to coloring:
Hmm. I really love bold colors, so I'd prefer hard coloring, of course. :P (I'd also suggest going the hard coloring route if you want to have some depth to your drawings in the future, since it forces you to go extreme with forms. Soft coloring tends to flatten out the drawing, but it is pretty cutesy if done right.)
See, I'm the opposite, I really love soft colouring XD I think it's easier on my eyes :) (and it's spelt *colouring*, gotta add that u ;) *is joking*)

Edit: and I just looked at your drawings (you are now my drawing god), but don't you use soft colours quite a bit?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by chocojax »

Rinima wrote:See, I'm the opposite, I really love soft colouring XD I think it's easier on my eyes :) (and it's spelt *colouring*, gotta add that u ;) *is joking*)

Edit: and I just looked at your drawings (you are now my drawing god), but don't you use soft colours quite a bit?
Haha! Coloring, colouring, it's all the same. :P

Yeah, I do. I have a bad tendency to go too soft with my shading, which in turn, flattens out a lot of stuff/has a low amount of contrast.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#20 Post by MaiMai »

Rinima wrote: Well, it's good that my proportions are getting better ^^ And yea, I was wondering about the style of the colouring, wasn't sure if I should try and go down this route of soft colouring or hard colouring :\

Ah, yea, I'd noticed I'm terrible at eyes. I've been trying to have a go at Doomfest's style of eyes, but I can't seem to get it :\
When it comes to coloring, I could give advice, but it comes down to stylistic preference and your knowledge on how to use colors. Colors are VERY important. I could write a whole block of text about basic color theory, but thankfully someone made a flash video about digital colors already: http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625

Also, I highly recommend trying to follow a coloring tutorial so you can try and see what you like. I made a list from different people: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 46&t=24440

As for your eyes, the reason you're not close to Doomfest's style is simply because again, you're only resulting in a few lines that symbolize an eye, but they don't have the FORM of an eye. You should ask yourself questions when studying another person's style instead of cursory glancing: How did they draw that? Why does it look like that? What can I learn from their technique? How can I make it my own technique? I did a quick study from one of Doomfest's recent pieces and here's what I got. Note that it's not exactly the same, but I applied the same principles as DF must might have done on the line layer of the work.
Attachments
[doodle]dfeyestudy.jpg
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Rinima »

MaiMai wrote: When it comes to coloring, I could give advice, but it comes down to stylistic preference and your knowledge on how to use colors. Colors are VERY important. I could write a whole block of text about basic color theory, but thankfully someone made a flash video about digital colors already: http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625

Also, I highly recommend trying to follow a coloring tutorial so you can try and see what you like. I made a list from different people: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 46&t=24440

As for your eyes, the reason you're not close to Doomfest's style is simply because again, you're only resulting in a few lines that symbolize an eye, but they don't have the FORM of an eye. You should ask yourself questions when studying another person's style instead of cursory glancing: How did they draw that? Why does it look like that? What can I learn from their technique? How can I make it my own technique? I did a quick study from one of Doomfest's recent pieces and here's what I got. Note that it's not exactly the same, but I applied the same principles as DF must might have done on the line layer of the work.
Thanks :) I think I know how I want to colour now ^^ *painting~* And those links will be useful~

And ohhhh, that explains why I couldn't get it!
Off to practice eyes then ^^

(by the way, have I ever told you how much I appreciate you?)
Attachments
I added a colour thingy
I added a colour thingy

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Rinima »

Pose scrap.
Attachments
My tablet sensitivity isn't working ;~;
My tablet sensitivity isn't working ;~;

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Rinima »

Urrrg.
I still can't do eyes....
*has given up ;~;*

Anywho, my friend's OC :3
Attachments
Amber.png

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Rinima »

So, I'm using a new kind of structure for anatomy. I think it's better, I can be more creative with it (I just need to master it). Yes, I'm aware that the anatomy isn't quite right (the chest is too long among other things), but I think I'll get it with practice :) (also, can someone tell me what is wrong with her shoulders?)

So yea, using this kind now: http://emlindes.deviantart.com/art/Pose ... -438578059
Attachments
New kind of structure.png

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Rinima »

Legs to short, but I think the position is correct?
Attachments
Laying down.png

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by chocojax »

Rinima wrote:(also, can someone tell me what is wrong with her shoulders?)
It should sort of... bump up near the end? You could google pictures of human shoulders as reference. Drawing in the muscles also help!
Rinima wrote:Legs to short, but I think the position is correct?
Drawing in the bones underneath should help out! The way you drew the side of their ribcage is off.
I'm kind of short, but when I try to put myself in the same position, the upper thigh should be shorter than that, actually. Lower leg does look too short, I think.
The position looks all right, kind of awkward though. The back should probably be slightly more exaggerated as a curve, so that the overall pose smooths out a bit better. The foot that's higher up than the other should probably curve a little bit along the lower leg as well, for gestural reasons?

You're getting better though! Keep it up, man!

akka
Regular

#27 Post by akka »

This is a little unusual since I don't normally participate in these kinds of discussions (coughi'mgenerallynotactiveherecough) but yeah!! Here's my two cents on this. And by two cents I mean a long-ass critique from an aspiring med student so I apologize in advance if I come off as a little rude or domineering. I tend to wax poetic when it comes to ~*~*~*the human body*~*~*~
Rinima wrote:(also, can someone tell me what is wrong with her shoulders?)
In your drawing, the torso area right beneath her breasts is just about the same broadness as her shoulders. See, while it's true that, generally speaking, a female's waist would be just as broad as her shoulders, it's a completely different story when it comes to the chest/bust. See the redline (I hope you don't mind that I did that hfkgsjhdfg) I did of your drawing and my own rendition of the female body; the way you drew the rest of her torso from the breasts down doesn't add up to where you put her armpits.

Remember that breasts are, bluntly put, just balls of fat and mammary glands put on top of what is essentially a flat chest. While they contribute to a fuller appearance of the bust area, that doesn't mean that the parts of the torso following thereafter would be of the same broadness as that of the breasts. It should add up with where you placed the armpits instead, like that of a flat, masculine chest.

The reason why this attributes to how weird the shoulders look on her is because it makes her general chest area appear unproportionally broad in contrast to that of her shoulders. While what chocojax said is true in that her shoulders seem to be a little too round and that making it a little more rigid would help, I think that fixing her bust area should also be given attention to.

TL;DR: Make her shoulders just a little broader and more rigid as per chocojax's recommendations and fix her torso so that it would be consistent with where you initially placed her armpits.
chocojax wrote:
Rinima wrote:Legs to short, but I think the position is correct?
Drawing in the bones underneath should help out! The way you drew the side of their ribcage is off.
I'm kind of short, but when I try to put myself in the same position, the upper thigh should be shorter than that, actually. Lower leg does look too short, I think.
The position looks all right, kind of awkward though. The back should probably be slightly more exaggerated as a curve, so that the overall pose smooths out a bit better. The foot that's higher up than the other should probably curve a little bit along the lower leg as well, for gestural reasons?
Let me start off for this one by saying tat chocojax has very good advice!

Now, generally speaking, the upper leg should only be as long as the torso, and even when the torso is bent inwards (at realistic limits of the human body) it shouldn't go beyond that of the chin were to it remain pressed to the body. If you flex your head inwards, it should be able to touch the forehead. But only if you were to draw your leg in close enough. The lower leg should be close in length to the upper leg as well.

Though, I'll say here that their left thigh appears to be fine to me, just that her lower leg is still a little too short. Her butt appears a little too full to me as well, but I'll be honest say that I'm not even sure about that and perhaps I'm becoming a little nit-picky.

Here's something I used to help visualize torso-limb proportions when I was starting out. I hope you'd be able to find some use for it too!

TL;DR: What chocojax said.

After going through your thread, I see that you've come a very long way! Keep up the good work. You're improving really fast!
that ended up much longer than expected hskgfhskjfghksjhfgs
Attachments
thing.jpg

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Rinima »

Thanks guys, this should help out a bunch!
akka wrote:aspiring med student
Lol, don't worry, non of it sounded 'rude or domineering', it made sense (and informed me of some problems I didn't realise where there XD), and yea, I'm use to the way medic's ect speak (since I'm in health care myself ^^).

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Rinima »

Is this better?
Attachments
Reference 2.png