Sly Crossing [2014] [Mystery] [on hold indefinitely]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: Sly Crossing [2014] [Mystery Sim] [Reality Game Show] [

#16 Post by noeinan »

*does the 'picking your pronouns' dance*.... *continues doing dance for five minutes*

Really, really looking forward to iiiiiit. ^____________________^

konett
Regular
Projects: White Lie, Witching Tower, Tropichu!
Tumblr: cosmickonett
Deviantart: konett
itch: konett

Re: Sly Crossing [2014] [Mystery] [3/10]

#17 Post by konett »

I've been in a rut for the past couple of days, but I managed to so some of the writing.
The intro is complete, and so it 40% of the first mission. The actions I have to think about more, so I'm going to do that as I go along. But actions for the bedroom and courtyard are done, at least.

I did some of the programming for this, and so far the story is going smoothly.
I need to finish the mini-map asap, so that I can implant it and test if it works.

I programmed the splashscreen, mainmenu, dialouge and crusor, and the inventory. I was going to use leon's cookbook code, but opted out of that, since that many functions aren't needed. So I made an image map at works the way I want it to.

This I have to do (preferably this week):
  • Finish writing mission 1 and the after comments.
  • Start cycle 2 and 3
  • Finish minimap and program the actions menu.
  • Design tablet and preferences screens.
  • Program custom menus.
It's going to be busy. I don't really have any images to show right now though.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#18 Post by pickle131 »

This looks interesting!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

konett
Regular

#19 Post by konett »

Just an update on this;

I pretty sure I'm not going to make it. This was pretty ambitious to begin with. It would've worked, but school and real life gets in the way of things. I will try to push to get all the things ready for cycle 1, so I'll have a demo at least. After that is up I will wait on feedback before continuing with this project. I really want Tropichu! to be finished before this, so I will work on that before continuing this when March ends either way.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#20 Post by noeinan »

I've had to scale back my NaNoRenO project, too. ^^; Several times! But hey, I figure I can always keep working on it after March is over.

The boost in productivity during NaNoRenO is worth it, even if you don't finish on time. :)

Bexy
Projects: Klaenya's tunnel
IRC Nick: Bexy

#21 Post by Bexy »

Even if you can't finish the game for the end of NaNoRenO I will follow this project because the plot and drawings are really good !
Of course it's an ambitious project with many characters, so good luck ! <3

(And for the questions I will say :

I like the reality show format because in general I like the stories which are created with this point of beginning (like Hunger Games for the most popular)
I can't say who I think is the crosser, I don't know the characters at all xd... It can't be our character ? haha)

Our WIP NaNoRenO 2014 Klaenya's tunnel

konett
Regular

#22 Post by konett »

Thanks you two.

I have some more bad news, which really ruins the plan for releasing the first cycle one April 1st. I deleted my Ren'py folder by mistake. I've lost all the programming and writing I've done for this game and it's making me incredibly sad. I have all the art and outlines saved, but I couldn't recovery anything useful. (I also lost a lot of date from my other games, but the damage they've suffered isn't as great, so that's good)

It's just a bit hard to start over again immediately. Mostly I'm just extremely frustrated at myself with the amount of setbacks this amounts to. I'm going to focus on repairing and finishing the games that are easier to fix than trying to redo everything for Sly Crossing at this time.

Sorry for all of you who looked forward to playing this game on the first. It's probably going to take a while before I can release anything playable.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Sly Crossing [2014] [Mystery] [on hold indefinitely]

#23 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Do you have restore points enabled on your computer? You could restore a point that existed before you accidentally deleted the folder.

You might also try a free file recovery program to try to retrieve your files. If you choose this option, do it as soon as possible.

I hope that helps!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

The Scribbler

#24 Post by The Scribbler »

Sorry for the probably obvious question, but have you checked whether it is in your Recycle Bin?

If you already emptied it and therefore permanently deleted your files, try searching for "Undelete Tools", if you have a FAT32 kind of hard drive, you should find that a lot of those could help you (they do exist for NTFS HDs as well, of course).

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#25 Post by Asceai »

Mad Harlequin wrote:You might also try a free file recovery program to try to retrieve your files. If you choose this option, do it as soon as possible.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

There's a good chance of recovering _something_ at least, but if you do this do it now. Everything you do on that computer brings you closer to overwriting something that is essential to bringing your data back.

konett
Regular

#26 Post by konett »

Thanks for trying to help.

I tried a file recovery program before I posted about it, but it didn't yield anything useful.
I recovered a bunch of files, but most of them are not usable, or corrupted.
So far I've only been able to find data from one of my older games. I can't open it, but I have that game backed up, so it doesn't matter much. I can't seem to recover much from 2014.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#27 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Have you tried Recuva? I admit I'm not experienced with these sorts of things, but I've heard Recuva is supposed to be reliable (and it's also free).
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

konett
Regular

#28 Post by konett »

Yes, Racuva is the program I've been using. I've ran several scans, but nothing useful is coming up. Now I'm running a deep scan on my drive. It's taking some time, so I'll have to wait an see it it delivers any results.

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#29 Post by Kitten the Cat »

Sorry to hear you've lost your data, that really sucks! And so close to the end of the month too.

To prevent setbacks like this, I suggest everyone use source control (and backups) with every project you do, big or small. That way your code will always be safe.
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

KiloTango
Regular
Projects: The Lighthouse (NaNoReNo14)
Organization: Starship ★ Palindrome

#30 Post by KiloTango »

Oh man, data loss is the worst thing! But I also recommend source control. I've been using BitBucket + Source Tree for the code (passing the actually assets back and forth using dropbox) and while it takes a bit of setting up, once you have it's really good for keeping track of stuff, and keeping the project in synch for all the people working on it without accidentally overwriting anyone's work too.

It's a real shame about you losing your code though, this one has been looking really promising! I hope it comes back strong :)
ImageImageImage