The Duenkhy [XxB][Otome][Fantasy] [CASSIUS CH 1!!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

Re: The Duenkhy [XxB][Otome][Fantasy/Slice of Life]

#16 Post by Lady-Cynic »

asdfghjkl; An otome game where the MC is genderfluid?! And those character designs! Definitely gonna follow this thread. I wanna play this so much now.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#17 Post by Cafechan »

Mad Harlequin wrote:I kind of have a love-hate relationship with the otome genre, but this looks like it will be lots of fun! I really love the characters and their designs! Thanks for the breath of fresh air.
Wow!! Thank you for the nice comment!! I hope it doesn't disappoint! I'm very much adhering to the otome format, but I'm hoping to bend expectations and subvert some common pitfalls = )
cosmic latte wrote:Your character designs are absolutely lovely. *q* Definitely going to play Cassius' or Calisto' route first! Cassius looks like such a cutie patoot and I'm loving Calisto's tattoos.
Thank you so muuuuch!!!! Calisto's tattoos were a mistake for me as an artist, now I have to draw them so many times (laugh)
Lady-Cynic wrote:asdfghjkl; An otome game where the MC is genderfluid?! And those character designs! Definitely gonna follow this thread. I wanna play this so much now.
I'm happy to hear someone is enthusiastic about the MC! I'm excited about them. And I really appreciate your kind feedback.
Nay wrote:Cassius looks so cute aaah would smooch 10/10
your cgs look great as well! i'd love to play when it's out. +q+
Omg, he'll be so happy! My mother laughed at him and said, "how are you ever going to kiss that?!" WE WILL FIND A WAY...

Thanks everyone!! Your words are encouraging me so much!! I'm almost completely finished writing Cassius' route! Then I'm going to get to work on a character portrait, maybe...

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#18 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Cafechan wrote:I'm very much adhering to the otome format, but I'm hoping to bend expectations and subvert some common pitfalls = )
This is exactly why I'm excited to see what comes of the project. It may stick to the general format, but you're planning to do something new and interesting with it. I'm completely fine with that. :)
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PennJones
Projects: Hellbound
Tumblr: nbshep

#19 Post by PennJones »

Ooh, a game with a nonbinary(?) MC and interesting obtainable characters! I'm very much excited for the release of this game. Good luck on creating it.

Cafechan
Regular

#20 Post by Cafechan »

Mad Harlequin,
Thank you!! I hope I don't disappoint!
Ooh, a game with a nonbinary(?) MC and interesting obtainable characters! I'm very much excited for the release of this game. Good luck on creating it.
I appreciate that! There aren't enough NB characters = )

Okay, people who are better at Ren'py than me! (AKA pretty much everyone) Here is my... conundrum......?

I'd really like the save/load windows to be small, semi-transparent windows that float over the current screen. Please note that these are bad mockups I made on a touchpad real fast (too lazy to plug in a tablet and draw something serious, haha), and do not reflect what I want to do with the GUI's actual looks or colors at all.

So here's a main menu.... (also very temporary)
Screen shot 2014-05-21 at 12.36.00 AM.png
And then I'd like the load window to pop up like so!
screen2.png
I'd like the save/load to do the same thing in-game as well.
Screen shot 2014-05-21 at 12.41.16 AM.png
......So w-where do I start? I've poked around for instructions on this before, but I must not be looking in the right places...

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#21 Post by Broodelin »

From my experience, the main menu save/load screen that you want should be fairly simple to do.

I'm not quite sure about having it pop up in game like that, but we can give it a try.

Once I get on my main computer, I'll send you a PM. :)

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#22 Post by plaster »

omfg casio keyboard guy that is fantastic

Cafechan
Regular

#23 Post by Cafechan »

plaster wrote:omfg casio keyboard guy that is fantastic
Hehehe, thank you!! His last name comes from Nick Rhodes, the keyboardist of Duran Duran... I asked my mother for a keyboard-related last name, and she blurted Rhodes because she had a huge crush on him as a kid.

In related news, the writing for Cassius' route is completely finished!!! Gonna move on to Calisto, whose first two (of four) chapters are done, and possibly finish up the last bits of Rafael's route that I never got around to (I was really dragging my feet about writing his bad ending for some reason...)
Last edited by Cafechan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#24 Post by KittyKatStar »

The XxB part intrigued me, and wow, I'm really happy to see a gender-neutral character, and then I got greeted with amazing looking characters. <3 (Lady and Tor <3 )

I wish you best of luck, 240 000 words isn't easy to write up. (I could just be a super slow writer though XD )

Loving the CGs as well. Good luck with The Duenkhy, I have a feeling it'll be a refreshing otome game.

Cafechan
Regular

#25 Post by Cafechan »

KittyKatStar wrote:I wish you best of luck, 240 000 words isn't easy to write up. (I could just be a super slow writer though XD )
Oh, no, trust me, it's not easy at all LOL ;_; I've been working on it (off and on) since November of last year, and I think I still have a few more months to go before it's completely done. I wish it were easier to recruit writing assistants, but writing is a hard thing to collaborate on!

Thank you so much for the nice feedback!!!! ♥

Cafechan
Regular

#26 Post by Cafechan »

Sorry to double post! Here's a process.

So this sketch actually originally was done by my friend, Carmen, who is one of my art assistants ♥ She's a lifesaver!
CALIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
I had to redraw a little, just to make sure it stayed consistent with his first sprite! Keeping sprites consistent is a huge pain in the butt, but I'm picky about it.
Screen shot 2014-05-23 at 7.07.43 PM.png
Lines.
Screen shot 2014-05-23 at 7.11.47 PM.png
My coloring process for these sprites is pretty basic. I don't do anything fancy, really. I try to keep it simple so that I don't go too insane.
111.png
Yay! I still have to draw more expressions, but I'm not in the mood for it right now. His apron is on another layer!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#27 Post by Googaboga »

Everything looks great. I love the designs ^^.

I think the free time events sound very nice C:. It'd be a fun addition for sure. But if it becomes too overwhelming to write/program all those extra scenes I'm sure people wouldn't mind if you stuck with the original plan of just having individual character paths.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Cafechan
Regular

#28 Post by Cafechan »

Thank you so much!!

I hope it'll be fun! I think it's small enough that it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate...! (That's what I say now. LOL)

And another portrait done.
raf2_surprise.png

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#29 Post by Alera »

I love Cassius' design, I always find characters with objects as heads very interesting. *^* //has a few on her own
I'd play this just for him XD

The art is amazing as well!
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#30 Post by Morhighan »

So I was doing dishes with my fiance telling him about this project and I remembered this:
(Does that disqualify this game from being considered an otome game? I've been wondering this.)
Well, to be safe you could always call it a BROtome game, depending on the players. XP But if the game is at all targeted towards a stereotypical "female audience," it's considered otome from what I've heard. So I think it'll be okay. Unless you use "bro" as a gender neutral term like I do, haha.

Okay, bad puns done, I'm going back to the sidelines to cheer you on. :P