Ludum Dare anyone?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

Re: Ludum Dare anyone?

#16 Post by CSV »

I want to participate in Ludum Dare, though it will depend on whether I can think up of a story for the given theme or not. :? Creating a visual novel would be impossible due to time constraints, so I intend to make something like a text adventure... Maybe with a few simple drawings, if I can find the time.

Also, I am fully aware that any project I attempt to complete in such a short time frame will just crash and burn, but there is no harm in trying, right? X)
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#17 Post by Zelan »

CSV wrote:I want to participate in Ludum Dare, though it will depend on whether I can think up of a story for the given theme or not. :? Creating a visual novel would be impossible due to time constraints, so I intend to make something like a text adventure... Maybe with a few simple drawings, if I can find the time.

Also, I am fully aware that any project I attempt to complete in such a short time frame will just crash and burn, but there is no harm in trying, right? X)
I'm thinking the same thing, since I'd have to find an artist to draw for me. Although I suppose I could go with programmer art...apparently that's "encouraged" for Ludum Dare.

CSV
Regular

#18 Post by CSV »

Zelan wrote:I'm thinking the same thing, since I'd have to find an artist to draw for me. Although I suppose I could go with programmer art...apparently that's "encouraged" for Ludum Dare.
I would honestly prefer to do art, because I am incredibly slow as a writer, but it would be impossible to create a game with images only...so a text adventure it is.
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Zelan »

CSV wrote:
Zelan wrote:I'm thinking the same thing, since I'd have to find an artist to draw for me. Although I suppose I could go with programmer art...apparently that's "encouraged" for Ludum Dare.
I would honestly prefer to do art, because I am incredibly slow as a writer, but it would be impossible to create a game with images only...so a text adventure it is.
If either one of us comes up with an idea, I'd be willing to team up with you. c: I'm still not *entirely* sure I'm participating, though, since I've got all sorts of stuff to finish before school starts this Tuesday.

If you'd rather do your own thing, I would say that it's definitely possible to make a game mostly with images, but what few words you did have would be a lot more significant and I'm sure there'd have to be some sort of gameplay element to hold the attention of the players. And gameplay is where I'm the most clueless. :/

CSV
Regular

#20 Post by CSV »

Zelan wrote:If either one of us comes up with an idea, I'd be willing to team up with you. c: I'm still not *entirely* sure I'm participating, though, since I've got all sorts of stuff to finish before school starts this Tuesday.

If you'd rather do your own thing, I would say that it's definitely possible to make a game mostly with images, but what few words you did have would be a lot more significant and I'm sure there'd have to be some sort of gameplay element to hold the attention of the players. And gameplay is where I'm the most clueless. :/
I agree it is possible to make a game based on visuals rather than text, but it would take me a long time to draw that much, particularly because I use traditional media. Even sprite expressions are a pain to make.
Gameplay-wise, I have prepared a base code on Ren'py for a Choose Your Own Adventure type thing. =) It really depends on me not getting idea blocked by the theme now. Waiting for that countdown to end...
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

dueceladouce
Regular

#21 Post by dueceladouce »

I probably confused the day early thing with something else, whoops. My bad

Will work in exchange for fight game buddies.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#22 Post by Godline »

Ancient technology!

The theme is just in.

Errr... I'm not sure if I've got anything for that.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Zelan »

Godline wrote:Ancient technology!

The theme is just in.

Errr... I'm not sure if I've got anything for that.
Awww, man, that was just the one I was hoping not to have. :/ It was definitely most popular by far in the other rounds, though, so it's not too surprising.

CSV
Regular

#24 Post by CSV »

Agreed. "Ancient Technology" makes me think of those History Channel shows about how aliens are behind everything and that's it...
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Zelan »

CSV wrote:Agreed. "Ancient Technology" makes me think of those History Channel shows about how aliens are behind everything and that's it...
Heh.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#26 Post by Godline »

Hahaha! I'll keep thinking on it. A puzzle game sounds like it might work.

CSV
Regular

#27 Post by CSV »

Zelan wrote: Heh.

Exactly.

Though I suppose it could be a story about looking for some mythical piece of ancient technology? Or someone finding some ancient doomsday device and the MC running around trying to stop it being used. Ugh, this theme is the worst.

EDIT: Just had an idea for some sort of adventure otome based on this theme. Really, my brain can twist every game into the otome genre at this point...but I am still bad at adventure stories, so wish me luck. T-T
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Zelan »

Best of luck, CSV. <3

The only thing I'm coming up with right now would be something with a sundial. But that's not even close to a fleshed-out idea, and I really do need to finish this homework, so I don't think I'll be participating this time. Good luck to all of you guys, though! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! c:

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

#29 Post by KittyWills »

Poking in because I really like that theme. lol

Could do something like Nausicaa Vally of the Wind or Castle in the Sky. Or OOPArt (out of place Artifacts in History). Maybe have your MC who is an archaeologist who finds a OOPArt and gets thrust into magical/secret society shenanigans. Do an Indiana Jones thing.

Or have it take place in a Mad Max future world. And the "Ancient" tech is stuff we have today but warped by time.

Maybe have something in a Future Magical world and your MC finds some "ancient" science tech. I see this plot in giant robot anime quite a bit... Hell, most mecha series could fall under this theme.

ANYWHO! Good luck peeps!

bosinpai
Regular

#30 Post by bosinpai »

Solo entries it is?

I'll have a try at a HTML5 app then, unless somebody needs help with graphics or programming :)

Btw TV Tropes may help with inspiration.