What is your favorite fantasy creature?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: What is your favorite fantasy creature?

#16 Post by SusanTheCat »

For underloved creature: the pooka! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca

Dangerous and playful: great writing opportunities!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#17 Post by musical74 »

Dragons and faeries for me...

Dragons because of their power and graceful flying. Faeries because of the gamut of what they can be...friendly, shy, nasty, evil...I can picture someone encountering one faerie and being charmed...and the next faerie they meet is plotting their downfall!!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#18 Post by Alera »

Of course I love dragons~ <3

In fact- I love all sort of fantasy and magical creatures. Sometimes- I like creating some on my own! :'D With my crazy imagination- yeah-lol-
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#19 Post by Boniae »

Unicorns FTW! :D

I've always loved them as a kid. Although I was a bit too obsessed with them. :/
I still like them, their very mystical and make wonderful desk ornaments. *u* -has a collection-

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#20 Post by sayuri »

Angels have to be my favorite. I actually don't mean the typical halo and wing ones. I'm talking about the mythological ones like Michael, Lucifer, the Chayot, ect. Demons are great, but Fallen Angels add another level of depth. Can you say brooding? ;) Yeah I have a tiny obsession with mythology. You know what, I would LOVE a game that featured characters from Greek mythology. When you think of it, there is already a fleshed out character background and plenty to build off of (with heavy use of artistic license, of course). Narcissus could have realized his selfishness and the heroine can teach him how to love others, not just himself. Zeus can be the spoiled prince that expects everyone to cower in fear since nobody has ever stood up to him. Believe me, Zeus is an irresponsible chauvinistic pig, spoiled prince makes perfect sense. Artemis would be the tomboy/warrior-woman that maybe starts off as a man-hater. Dionysus obviously is the captain of the football team playboy that secretly takes care of his younger siblings and only acts like a douche because he's afraid of not fitting in (of course). Aphrodite is our curvaceous blond that keeps people at a distance because she is afraid of getting hurt (awww). Hades is the smexy bad boy of the Underworld that wears lots of leather and there you go! I should do something with this... nah. God knows I don't have the time nor work ethic :P. I think I answered your question somewhere in there.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#21 Post by Elenakiara »

sayuri wrote:Angels have to be my favorite. I actually don't mean the typical halo and wing ones. I'm talking about the mythological ones like Michael, Lucifer, the Chayot, ect. Demons are great, but Fallen Angels add another level of depth. Can you say brooding? ;) Yeah I have a tiny obsession with mythology. You know what, I would LOVE a game that featured characters from Greek mythology. When you think of it, there is already a fleshed out character background and plenty to build off of (with heavy use of artistic license, of course). Narcissus could have realized his selfishness and the heroine can teach him how to love others, not just himself. Zeus can be the spoiled prince that expects everyone to cower in fear since nobody has ever stood up to him. Believe me, Zeus is an irresponsible chauvinistic pig, spoiled prince makes perfect sense. Artemis would be the tomboy/warrior-woman that maybe starts off as a man-hater. Dionysus obviously is the captain of the football team playboy that secretly takes care of his younger siblings and only acts like a douche because he's afraid of not fitting in (of course). Aphrodite is our curvaceous blond that keeps people at a distance because she is afraid of getting hurt (awww). Hades is the smexy bad boy of the Underworld that wears lots of leather and there you go! I should do something with this... nah. God knows I don't have the time nor work ethic :P. I think I answered your question somewhere in there.
Ohhh!! XDD I'd love to read something like that. Maybe you can put this into the Ideas Dump? Then someone might take the idea and create it! :3
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#22 Post by Der Tor »

Since SusanTheCat mentioned the Pooka, i am also gonna mention one more creature that is only locally known: Rübezahl the Mountain Spirit (or just mountain spirits and woodwose in general). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCbezahl

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#23 Post by Snowflower »

Faeries were and still are one of my absolute favorite in fantasy creature, not to mention a classic.
& also, can the greek mythology like gods, goddess, nymphs, etc count?
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#24 Post by sayuri »

According to me it does ;)

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

#25 Post by James »

can the greek mythology like gods, goddess, nymphs, etc count?
Honestly why not? Fantasy creatures and mythology are strongly interwoven. Fairies derived from folklures which is similar mythology. It can be argued that Morgan La Fey is a fairy that just happens to have a name from King Arthur.
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

Kael
Regular
Projects: Roaming, Red Snow??? Some others as composer.

#26 Post by Kael »

Although not a 100% fantasy creature, the Chimera has to be my favorite amongst them all. (Sorry, I’m a mythology fanatic.) The image of this beast has always intrigued the darkest parts of my mind. One of the meanings of the word “Chimera” defines unreality, impossibility; in consequence its figure echo way further into my soul. If someone were to place his/her eyes on this being, I could bet it would be like seeing directly into an abyss; the unknown. Therefore, to me, the “Chimera” is an ontologic expression for nothingness; I know this is highly subjective. With its remembrance the first four verses from Nerval’s poem “El Desdichado” always comes to my head. In French because it sounds the most beautifully:

Je suis le Ténébreux, - le Veuf, - l'Inconsolé,
Le Prince d'Aquitaine à la Tour abolie :
Ma seule Étoile est morte, - et mon luth constellé
Porte le Soleil noir de la Mélancolie.

None of them have anything to do with each other, so why? The answer is: I have no idea; both this creature and this poem (Specially these first four verses.) have always engulfed my skin, something like a spirit link, at least for me. It’s beyond description.

Thank you.

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#27 Post by EternalDream »

SANTA CLAUS!!! 8D No, no I'm kidding ^^;; I don't even know if he counts O3O
I'd say... probably a devil. I know it's really typical but I can't help what I love ok? ;D Second would probably be something bird like... like pheonixes and harpies X)

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#28 Post by Chrizine »

I'm always fascinated of shape-shifting things, like humans who can turn into birds or something along these lines. They can disguise themselves as animals and look pretty normal (good for a spy, for example). And you can get to know the animal and the human first and only later discover that they are one and the same...

Apart from this, I like typically evil creatures like demons, devils, etc who may or may not be really evil or can change their mind depending on the influence of the protagonist...
And, yes, I also like fallen angels.
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#29 Post by Greeny »

Selfless human is definitely my favorite fantasy creature.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#30 Post by pondrthis »

I'm not into fantasy, so the only fantasy beings I like are the ones that are used for horror. Thus, anything evil. Vampires that eat (bloodsucking is so mundane) people, werewolves, demons, ghosts (particularly scary to me), etc. A solid ritual cannibal can be scarier than any fantasy creature, though.

Well, add angels to the list. Not because I'm religious or anything, but because they borrow power from a truly omnipotent being. That makes them omnipotent also except in rare circumstances. Plus they have white wings. White FTW. Pastels are nice too.