PLEASE SUPPORT AN INNOCENT ANIMAL

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: PLEASE SUPPORT AN INNOCENT ANIMAL

#31 Post by Gear »

It's just a matter of how you think. Some believe animals should have the same rights (to an extent, they don't need to vote) as a human to life. Others (such as myself) see humans eating animals as no different than a tiger eating an antelope (or whatever tigers eat, I'm no biology major).

However, comparing the Holocaust to the Slaughterhouse is far from tactful, or even correct.

If you have a weak stomach, don't read this. But Wright, I want you to read this:
In no slaughterhouse has it ever happened that a pregnant creature about to give birth had her legs sewn together just before the baby came out "to see what would happen".
THAT (and many other gory examples) is the difference between a slaughterhouse and The Holocaust. Be careful who you go out of your way to offend, my friend.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#32 Post by Wright1000 »

Gear wrote:It's just a matter of how you think. Some believe animals should have the same rights (to an extent, they don't need to vote) as a human to life. Others (such as myself) see humans eating animals as no different than a tiger eating an antelope (or whatever tigers eat, I'm no biology major).
So you are saying that you are wiser than people like Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Leo Tolstoy, GB Shaw, John Milton, Einstein, the list can go on and on.
All these great people were vegetarians and spoke against slaughterhouses.
GB Shaw compared eating animals to cannibalism.
Talking about biology, the great biologist Charles Darwin was also a vegetarian because he knew that humans have evolved from monkeys and MONKEYS ARE VEGETARIANS!

Did you know that most of the world's major religions teach respect for animals and that that includes Islam? The Quran says that cruelty to animals is equivalent to the cruel treatment of human beings. It also talks about the righteousness of doing good deeds for animals. Of course, nothing could be kinder towards animals than to stop eating them.

This thread was about supporting an innocent animal, not about ethics of the diet, anyway. If you all think that innocent animals should be killed for food, go and kill them. I won't stop you.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#33 Post by Taleweaver »

Wright1000 wrote:So you are saying that you are wiser than people like Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Leo Tolstoy, GB Shaw, John Milton, Einstein, the list can go on and on.
All these great people were vegetarians...
So was someone else, at least from the 1930s and on...
Talking about biology, the great biologist Charles Darwin was also a vegetarian because he knew that humans have evolved from monkeys and MONKEYS ARE VEGETARIANS!
I won't go into detail here and point out that humans didn't actually evolve from monkeys (rather, humans and monkeys have common ancestors), but great apes are much closer to humans than monkeys. And most great apes (the gorilla, for instance) have a rather diverse diet... including tasty insects.

And talking about biology a little more, humans are omnivores. Look at the teeth in your mouth if you don't believe me - two of them, your canines, are useless if you only eat plants.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#34 Post by Wright1000 »

That doesn't mean we HAVE to eat animals.
Just compare yourself to the tiger.
He hunts the deer with all his strength. But what about you? You only say- Waiter, bring me a hotdog. And it comes out of nowhere.
Innocent animals are being killed every day because many people like you have chosen to eat them instead of loving and caring for them.
Did you visit http://www.meat.org

If you are a Christian, did you forget this-- Though shall not kill.
Each and every religion speaks against animal slaughter.

GB Shaw said- A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.
He compared nonveg with cannibalism.
If you think you are a greater writer than GB Shaw, show me your Nobel Prizes.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#35 Post by Gear »

Writer or wisdom has nothing to do with this. I am a believer, student, and practitioner of medical science. Medical science indicates that human diets are only fully balanced and healthy when we consume both meat and vegetation.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

J. Datie
Veteran

#36 Post by J. Datie »

Wright1000 wrote:If you are a Christian, did you forget this-- Though shall not kill.
Does that mean Atheists are off the hook?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#37 Post by MaiMai »

Wright1000 wrote:If you are a Christian, did you forget this-- Though shall not kill.
"Each and every religion" is sort of pushing it especially when you consider that early in early Judaism animal sacrifices were common. And don't even get me started on the Old Testament where the mentions of the first Passover involved butchering a lamb for the Passover Feast. (I am Christian by the way)

Please, please, PLEASE know what you're talking about before you even try to refer to other sources and people to try and support your side Wright100. Because honestly, you're making a very terrible case for your argument by trying to refer to other sources without knowing the full extent of what you're using.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#38 Post by Taleweaver »

Wright1000 wrote:That doesn't mean we HAVE to eat animals.
You're perfectly right - we don't have to. We can choose to live as vegetarians and still have a healthy diet. "Omnivore" means you can essentially eat everything and also choose not to eat something because there are many other things that can supply our bodies with the same nutrients. We can even choose not to eat meat because we feel it's morally wrong to kill living things that can feel pain only to eat if we have a choice to eat something else.

But that was not your earlier argument. Your argument was that we, biologically speaking, should not eat animals because they are not part of our natural diet. And that is plain wrong, as your teeth should show you.
If you are a Christian, did you forget this-- Though shall not kill.
Answered properly by MaiMai. I might add that "each and every religion" is, again, much too broad a definition as Judaism requires kosher butchering of animals you eat, which I believe PETA dismisses as cruelty against animals.
If you think you are a greater writer than GB Shaw, show me your Nobel Prizes.
I can show you ten writers of Shaw's caliber that ate meat.

Selma Lagerlöf
Gerhart Hauptmann
William Butler Yeats
Thomas Mann
Hermann Hesse
T.S. Eliot
William Faulkner
Ernest Hemingway
John Steinbeck
Harold Pinter

...actually, there are a few more, but that argument is a pretty weak one, isn't it?

You're not going to successfully advocate a vegetarian lifestyle by trying to condemn people who don't follow it.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#39 Post by Efreet »

Just to comment on that meat.org website (which is actually just another PETA website) and their celebrity endorsed video on slaughterhouses, I would not even jump at the conclusion that this is standard procedure for every slaughterhouse in every country.

If animals live in poor conditions, their quality as meat will suffer equally. The Japanese know this and they have a something called kobe beef:

Here the cows are given large sheltered and strawed beds. They have green open fields, where they are washed, groomed, fed properly and are even given massages. Similarily, on another Japanese milk farm, they have automated machinery to give them a massage, milk them when they want to be milked and are even able to listen to classical music. This is just an example of just how organisations like PETA look for the worse without any compromise.

Now, this is high quality treatment, but guess what else becomes high - cost. But not everyone can afford this.

Something seen here in the UK is the rise of 'organic' products, such as chickens that are reared in the open. Generally these chickens are smaller (apparently as a result of disease) and cost more than your ordinary chicken in supermarkets, but are they really good? Chickens need to be vaccinated against diseases and parasites, regardless of being in battery cages or in the open. There are more points of comparison between organic and normal foods on the Independent news article written by Rob Johnston.

Why do slaughterhouses use battery cages? So that they can process a high number of chickens in a quick amount of time and thus keep down their costs and increase profits, a little something from capitalism. Does that mean that companies should give no regard to sanitation and healthy stock all for the sake of profit? No, if they did this they'd be in trouble with the factory farming regulators.

As for GB Shaw, you do know that he wanted to reject the Nobel Prize outright because he had no desire for public honours?

Even if he became vegetarian he joined the public opposition of vaccination against smallpox, calling it 'a particularly filthy piece of witchcraft' even though it had almost killed him. So if he compared non-vegetarians to cannibals, we could assume that he would compare scientists to witches?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#40 Post by sake-bento »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that we're all against animal cruelty. However, we're going wildly off topic now, talking about PETA, religious law, and the holocaust.

I've read the original link, and as it stands, it appears to be asking the government to enforce laws that are already in place, so I'll leave it up. Everyone here is free to decide whether or not they want to join PETA in this action. Further posts in this thread should be about the original topic.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Wright1000 »

If anyone still has doubts about vegetarianism, continued on http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 13&t=11612

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#42 Post by Crocosquirrel »

In direct answer to the Topic at hand: No.

It was ordered by an official, and although there are certainly more humane ways to kill a creature of any sort, PETA has little or no cause to get on this particular bandwagon. There will be no support for this animal in any way, shape, or form, as it has expired. From it's appearance and behavior, it may have in fact been wondering if that dead dog could somehow become lunch. How about we hunt down and imprison for thirty years the cameraman, the owner of the donkey, and the person driving the backhoe? If I remember correctly, the average murderer in India doesn't get that much time.

Pardon me, it just doesn't compute.

Please note: For the sake of accuracy, that's NOT a bulldozer
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by OtomeWeekend »

lol, yeah. even here in japan, killing a person wouldn't even let you marry the prison bars. And killing an animal would only go as far as few months(i think) and most certainly penalty money~ IF ever you got caught killing your pet. High risk is that almost only 3 out of 10 people who ever killed an animal ever get caught.

I don't even understand why focus on the donkey! PETA should start doing their propagandas in places like Philippines where many drunkard people cook their pet doggies for food... D:) Did you know that that's far more brutal than killing a donkey with a risk of rabies? I can't even imagine cutting my pet to slices, cook them and place them on the dining table.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#44 Post by Crocosquirrel »

In places where dog is considered a viable dietary choice, they're typically farmed, not unlike cows in the US and elsewhere. Most places in the world, an animal that isn't useful for real work of some sort is food.

On the donkey, it was likely dying anyway from a lack of food. There was no point in showing us it's neck being broken twice. That was just sensationalism.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#45 Post by azureXtwilight »

DarkSpartan wrote:In places where dog is considered a viable dietary choice
FYI, that would be in North Sumatera, Indonesia. The culture allows them to consume dogs, even some of the pet dogs.