Bad naming skills..... *cries*

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Bad naming skills..... *cries*

#31 Post by Hijiri »

Merqurial wrote:I can totally understand, I have the hardest time naming my characters. Sometimes I'll even just make a notation like (protagonist) and go back and fill them in after I'm finished. I might just over think things a bit in that regard. If anyone has some good general tips to help with this, I'd love to hear them.
Depends on the background of the character, their nationality, etc.
Sometimes, writers may use average names (ex.Frank West is a fairly common name in the US, and the rest of the characters that appear in Dead Rising also have common names) or names that may have another meaning (Katniss is named after a plant hat has leaves the shape of arrowheads.) A simpler way to go about it is to think if you were naming your own child, for example.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#32 Post by Gear »

I always thought naming was easy. Every character I name has typically been someone I've known, whose name I've liked, and has matched the ethnicity of the character. In Time Stones, for instance, Damian Cruz was named after my friend Damian from elementary school, and the last name came from PFC Cruz, someone I went to combat medic school with. Another character, Ethan Huynh, was named for my middle name, and a Vietnamese last name I wanted outside of Nguyen and Pham. Etc.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Merqurial
Projects: The Time Stones

#33 Post by Merqurial »

That's why we can work well together Gear, I make the characters and you can name them. LOL