Inclusivity in games

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
o v e n
Regular
Projects: Five Mondays Gone
Organization: Uth City Press

Re: Inclusivity in games

#31 Post by o v e n »

Greeny wrote:What if I like blue or pink? What if I want to see something specifically blue or pink? What then?

I mean, it is a valid point. Where do you draw the line?
I think the point is you don't draw the line.

Blue and pink are metaphors for appealing to certain genders, right? Why can't the blue game also appeal to women? Why not the pink one, to men? I understand target audience, but making all the women in a game for men weak or uninteresting (or villains) is going to not only turn away potential female players - it's going to turn away male players as well for its 2D and/or offensive exclusivity.

In the terms of dating sims, well, usually they give you five or so (I'm not too sure) tropes to choose from, right? No matter the gender of the main character? The sporty one, the rebel, the class president, et cetera. Why not involve more? It certainly does not detract from the inclusion of the first tried-and-true selection of 'dates', but rather opens the appeal up to anybody trying out the genre. I know a few gender-alternative romance options have yet to go remiss (and actually gain greater attention for the inclusivity - moreso when some of the ominous 'media' blows a conservative gasket). The point of a dating sim is the player is in control and can pick and choose who they romance - so there's really no risk of scaring a player off if a romance option isn't their cup of tea.

The key to this is CHOICE, and having a greater variety thereof.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#32 Post by Victoria Jennings »

o v e n wrote:The point of a dating sim is the player is in control and can pick and choose who they romance - so there's really no risk of scaring a player off if a romance option isn't their cup of tea.
Sometimes people freak out at the idea of people of the same sex flirting with them... Because, you know, that's shoving it in their face, right? :roll:

And then there's the entitled gamer crowd, who I'm sure we're all familiar with. My guess is that it's people like them that make game developers shy away from adding anything "too controversial". Every once in a while they sucker you into believing that they are the majority, and then you remember that 50% of gamers are officially female.

EDIT: Keeping in mind that the entitled gamers I am specifically speak of do not make up the majority, and are in fact a small minority. I'm of the opinion that people are generally good, after all.
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o v e n
Regular

#33 Post by o v e n »

Victoria Jennings wrote:
o v e n wrote:The point of a dating sim is the player is in control and can pick and choose who they romance - so there's really no risk of scaring a player off if a romance option isn't their cup of tea.
Sometimes people freak out at the idea of people of the same sex flirting with them... Because, you know, that's shoving it in their face, right? :roll:

And then there's the entitled gamer crowd, who I'm sure we're all familiar with. My guess is that it's people like them that make game developers shy away from adding anything "too controversial". Every once in a while they sucker you into believing that they are the majority, and then you remember that 50% of gamers are officially female.

Ah, yeah, I'm sure there is a 'safety net' wherein the same-gender characters do not flirt with the main character unless the flirting is initiated. This is usually true with all romance options - your character has to be trained up and make the right dialogue choices to initiate a romance - if the player did not want to romance a certain character they simply would not choose those dialogue options. Inclusivity can be passive in more complicated engines - like giving a player avatar customization from gender to skin color to height and weight and everything in between - but at least it's there. In VN/text-based games, the concept might be a little more abstract or difficult to execute, but I have faith. :B

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#34 Post by Greeny »

o v e n wrote:This is usually true with all romance options - your character has to be trained up and make the right dialogue choices to initiate a romance - if the player did not want to romance a certain character they simply would not choose those dialogue options.
This is generally true that it's usually this way.

Although, this brings up a point that I think is still kind of on-topic (but slightly tangential). I think that's it's pretty wrong to handle it this way, queer character or otherwise. Essentially, by always taking the power away from the love interests, we're devaluating them as characters, as individuals with a personality and choices of their own. Why shouldn't they be allowed to fall in love with the protagonist, regardless of whether or not the player wants to go down that route? Isn't the archetypical love-triangle a staple of the romance genre? In that sense, far too many "romance" VN's fail to actually deliver on any romance-related drama, instead opting to be pure wish fulfillment (in my opinion).

And on the other side, in essence, I think that always putting the "player character" in a position of power reinforces dangerous ideas, regardless of the genders in question.

If a queer character flirting with the protagonist (acting as the player's avatar) makes the player uncomfortable, why can't that be played as a plot point? Give the protagonist the option of responding in an awkward manner, and you only give the player more oppertunity to relate to them, as well as raising questions that give the reader food for thought.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

o v e n
Regular

#35 Post by o v e n »

Greeny wrote:
o v e n wrote:This is usually true with all romance options - your character has to be trained up and make the right dialogue choices to initiate a romance - if the player did not want to romance a certain character they simply would not choose those dialogue options.
This is generally true that it's usually this way.

Although, this brings up a point that I think is still kind of on-topic (but slightly tangential). I think that's it's pretty wrong to handle it this way, queer character or otherwise. Essentially, by always taking the power away from the love interests, we're devaluating them as characters, as individuals with a personality and choices of their own. Why shouldn't they be allowed to fall in love with the protagonist, regardless of whether or not the player wants to go down that route? Isn't the archetypical love-triangle a staple of the romance genre? In that sense, far too many "romance" VN's fail to actually deliver on any romance-related drama, instead opting to be pure wish fulfillment (in my opinion).

And on the other side, in essence, I think that always putting the "player character" in a position of power reinforces dangerous ideas, regardless of the genders in question.

If a queer character flirting with the protagonist (acting as the player's avatar) makes the player uncomfortable, why can't that be played as a plot point? Give the protagonist the option of responding in an awkward manner, and you only give the player more oppertunity to relate to them, as well as raising questions that give the reader food for thought.

edits: wth, typos, go away

Hmmm. I suppose, with that line of thought, dating sims in general are harmful? Wish-fulfillment, sure. Nothing wrong with that. But it's only devaluing a character if, say, every dialogue choice the player chose would lead to a romance no matter what. As if the protagonist was the be-all-end-all of romance partners no matter how badly they spoke or behaved. Good romance sims give the option of failure and a goal to work towards - perhaps the sporty character requires a strength attribute to be a certain level, or that class president won't give the protag the time of day until all their grades are high - stat grinding and whatnot AND choosing the RIGHT things to say and gifts and going on the proper dates and all that.

I'm not so sure about reinforcing dangerous ideas by letting the player pick and choose their own romance options. Seems like that's kind of the point of any game wherein you build up an avatar and choose to take them down whichever path - I mean, the evil options in games like Black and White and Fable don't reinforce dangerous ideas of power, so why should dating sim games be seen as such? As for romance-able characters taking it upon themselves to initiate romance dialogue - I'm not saying players are going to go EEEEW and run away if the side-characters were more uh, independent, or that we can't even try to fix homophobia or gender inequality WITH THE POWER OF EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY WISH FULFILLMENT; I'm just saying that doesn't seem to be the usual modus operandi of a dating sim. Where's the challenge if the love interest is going to fall for the protag with little to no effort on the player's part?

Or are we talking about dragon age again. (GDI, ANDERS, YOU AND YOUR CAAAAAT) Because then, yeah, yes, sure, the romance wasn't the point of the game (unless the player wanted it to be) and gameplay and story suffered not at all if a player chose not to romance anybody or to turn anders down or to even try and initiate romance with Aveline only to fail outright by way of the character just Not Being Into Hawke, which was refreshing and realistic and bravo Bioware on all fronts A+.
Last edited by o v e n on Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Victoria Jennings »

o v e n wrote:Or are we talking about dragon age again.
Yep.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#37 Post by Greeny »

In this case I'm actually not really talking about dating sims, which are indeed understandably sims of trying to date. I'm talking about visual novels, which are about the story, where romance is the central theme.

Once you introduce gameplay (such as a stat-raising mechanic), it changes everything - reader becomes player, story becomes win condition.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Blutkristall
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere, Knife Point Horror
Organization: Lastrail

#38 Post by Blutkristall »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
Blutkristall wrote:Personally, I believe that being inclusive is nice, but it shouldn't be the end-all objective when designing something.
Once you have a concept, wouldn't it be foolish to bend and twist it around till it becomes as palatable to the masses as possible?
Just my two cents. Maybe I'm biased. Most humans are.
I think a good way to look at it is trying to be more inclusive is a polite and decent human thing to do because it shows you are respecting those around you. It's like holding a door open for someone. You don't have to hold it open, you are going out of your way to do it and the other person could open the door in their own way, but it's considered the polite thing to do. You are free to just walk through yourself and not worry about anyone else, but then you really have no-one to blame when everyone else thinks you're a bit of an arse.
Conversely, if I do not try to appeal to as many people as possible I am a bad human being and should be ashamed of myself?
I was never arguing that wide appeal was a bad thing, I was simply responding to the general sentiment that such design guidelines are the best thing ever or should necessarily rank higher in priority than making something good.
No, not saying the two are mutually exclusive, of course.
Everyone has their favorite blind spot.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#39 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Blutkristall wrote:Conversely, if I do not try to appeal to as many people as possible I am a bad human being and should be ashamed of myself?
I was never arguing that wide appeal was a bad thing, I was simply responding to the general sentiment that such design guidelines are the best thing ever or should necessarily rank higher in priority than making something good.
No, not saying the two are mutually exclusive, of course.
Depends. Does thinking and caring about others make you and your work worse?

Personally I think if someone answers yes to that they simply aren't thinking hard enough. People have a terrible habit of defaulting to the standards that they are used to. But if you are defaulting, you aren't thinking. There are so many interesting people and perspectives in the world, why do we keep insisting that we only ever see one or two angles? It's like people are scared of the challenge of actually stepping out of their own tiny corner of perspective. And if the answer is no, then what have any of us got to lose by trying?

EroBotan
Veteran

#40 Post by EroBotan »

What are you guys means by inclusivity? Is it something like this?

- male and female protagonist
- 3 date-able boys, 3 date-able girls, all of them are bisexual.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#41 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I think the term is being loosely.
I get the impression its being used to talk about making games a little friendlier to more that the target audience, when realistically possible.

I don't think anyone wants to go too far though.
Forcing every race, gender and sexual preference into every game would be a mess.

Here's a small example: I heard Nyaatrap say that Japanese people like using the mouse wheel to progress through dialogue. Adding that functionality doesn't affect some people, but it helps others. That was something I added promptly, and actually enjoy using myself now.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#42 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

EroBotan wrote:What are you guys means by inclusivity? Is it something like this?

- male and female protagonist
- 3 date-able boys, 3 date-able girls, all of them are bisexual.
Not unless you are making a game that is like that. Inclusivity means including people, especially those who are often excluded. This means more than just gender, though for gender it could mean not putting things that are offensive to them, say a rape joke, in a game even if they aren't the target audience. Inclusivity might mean thinking about making some of your characters people of colour, varying nationalities, religion, age, pretty much everything that makes us actually individuals. And as Trick mentioned, it's also about thinking about the way people will consume and interact with what you produce, whether it be considering people with disabilities or considering people with different technology.

For instance, Ren'Py being able to export to all three OSs is an issue of inclusivity. By making that a function, PyTom has allowed more people to be included in Visual Novels. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that is a good thing. Actually PyTom has done a great deal for inclusivity from making Ren'Py freely available to making it open source. By making these choices, he has made a massive difference to the people who could make visual novels. He could have done none of these things. Ren'Py could have been commercial, it could be closed, it could be too technical, it could not exist at all. But he chose to include as many people as possible and I think our community is better for it. Inclusivity is a good thing.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

EroBotan
Veteran

#43 Post by EroBotan »

the "not offending people" people part might be a bit hard to do ... people get offended easily these days, plus sometimes what you love is what others hate and what others love is what you hate.

ex:
- fanservice, i love it .. a lot of people seems to hate it though
- a lot of boys hate boy who is a jerk with a heart of gold (they are popular among girls), i hate them too .. i prefer nice and kind boys
- a lot of girls hate tsundere girls (they are popular among boys), i hate them too ... they give me headache ..(Makise Kurisu is an exception though)
- my little pony (in some forums, a single picture of it can turn a thread into a flame war lol), i never watch it though so I dunno if I hate it or love it.

I guess I'll do this inclusivity thing as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing my own fetish.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#44 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

EroBotan wrote:the "not offending people" people part might be a bit hard to do ... people get offended easily these days, plus sometimes what you love is what others hate and what others love is what you hate.

ex:
- fanservice, i love it .. a lot of people seems to hate it though
- a lot of boys hate boy who is a jerk with a heart of gold (they are popular among girls), i hate them too .. i prefer nice and kind boys
- a lot of girls hate tsundere girls (they are popular among boys), i hate them too ... they give me headache ..(Makise Kurisu is an exception though)
- my little pony (in some forums, a single picture of it can turn a thread into a flame war lol), i never watch it though so I dunno if I hate it or love it.

I guess I'll do this inclusivity thing as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing my own fetish.
Yeah, inclusivity doesn't necessarily mean you have to do everything all the time for everybody. It's about working within your concept and considering what your options are. There will always be choices you can make that will include more people. Say you are making a guy game and you don't really want to think about girls. Okay. What about different races? Nationalities? Religions? Abilities? Gender Identity? Classes? Language level? Accessibility? Technology level? See, there are lots of things to consider. Obviously doing all of them might be impossible, but it's not hard to include what you can that will work with your concept.

EroBotan
Veteran

#45 Post by EroBotan »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:What about different races? Nationalities? Religions? Abilities? Gender Identity? Classes? Language level? Accessibility? Technology level? See, there are lots of things to consider. Obviously doing all of them might be impossible, but it's not hard to include what you can that will work with your concept.
Well, I don't address those stuff in this discussion because most of the time, including them won't create significant problem in the game development process .. unlike the pink/blue/green gender stuff