████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: ████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

#31 Post by Deji »

I went ahead and made a thread! Hope it's in the right place ^^;;;

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 59&t=30327
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#32 Post by DarkSin »

I was thinking of participating this year, I have an idea that I'm slowly fleshing out in my head and everything, but... I'm not sure if I'll have the time for it, with university and all. I'm somewhat ambitious, so even though I'm planning on making it an episode like thing, I don't want to put out something incomplete or... lacking in assets and use the 1-month thing as an excuse :S Maybe I'll look into putting together a team :)

I have a question. Is it okay to make a thread for a NaNoRenO VN before March? I wanted to present my idea, plans, maybe some sketches etc. to get people interested in it.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#33 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

DarkSin wrote:I was thinking of participating this year, I have an idea that I'm slowly fleshing out in my head and everything, but... I'm not sure if I'll have the time for it, with university and all. I'm somewhat ambitious, so even though I'm planning on making it an episode like thing, I don't want to put out something incomplete or... lacking in assets and use the 1-month thing as an excuse :S Maybe I'll look into putting together a team :)

I have a question. Is it okay to make a thread for a NaNoRenO VN before March? I wanted to present my idea, plans, maybe some sketches etc. to get people interested in it.
I would suggest you focus on making the VN rather than if people are interested or not (though if you mean interest from partners then definitely post in the recruitment thread/create your own). Last year especially quite a few people bit off way more than they could chew because they were trying to do something impressive rather than just trying to do something. I've done this a couple times and by the time March hits you only have enough time to /do/ the work, so anything outside of that isn't worth worrying about.

As advice for everyone, make sure your scope is achievable in a month and then do that to the best of your abilities. It's okay to push yourself a little bit, but if you have never completed a Nanoreno before then it's best to know where you can cut corners and be ruthless in your ability to cut superfluous matter from the project. Both of these are actually really important skills to shipping games in general so it's a really good opportunity to learn them here. Your game isn't a game unless people can play it, so understanding what is and is not achievable, what a project can and can not do without, learning to make your process more efficient even if it might not be as good, is all apart of being a game dev.

Good luck Everyone \(^o^)/

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#34 Post by DarkSin »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I would suggest you focus on making the VN rather than if people are interested or not (though if you mean interest from partners then definitely post in the recruitment thread/create your own). Last year especially quite a few people bit off way more than they could chew because they were trying to do something impressive rather than just trying to do something. I've done this a couple times and by the time March hits you only have enough time to /do/ the work, so anything outside of that isn't worth worrying about.

As advice for everyone, make sure your scope is achievable in a month and then do that to the best of your abilities. It's okay to push yourself a little bit, but if you have never completed a Nanoreno before then it's best to know where you can cut corners and be ruthless in your ability to cut superfluous matter from the project. Both of these are actually really important skills to shipping games in general so it's a really good opportunity to learn them here. Your game isn't a game unless people can play it, so understanding what is and is not achievable, what a project can and can not do without, learning to make your process more efficient even if it might not be as good, is all apart of being a game dev.

Good luck Everyone \(^o^)/
Thank you for your advice :) Yes, I mean interest from potential partners, some place I can direct people to when/if I post in the recruitment forum so that they can get a proper idea of what my plans are, and if they want to collaborate with me on something like that.

Oh and of course, I'm very much aware of my own limitations and abilities, and that's why I'm thinking of putting together some sort of a partnership for this. I know what I have in mind is most probably not possible for me alone to complete in a month, especially since I'm very new to Ren'Py coding. I do want to put out a quality VN that I'll be proud of and that people will enjoy, and I'm not afraid to put in the effort to bring that about. I also understand that in order to realise this goal I may have to cut corners, at some places. So to do this I know it's a lot more realistic and efficient to divide up the work. And thus, my question :P

Actually what I wanted to know if it's okay to put up some sort of a WIP thread before March. And it's perfectly fine if there's no such place. I'll just include the relevant information in my recruitment post.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#35 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

There is a specific WIP thread for Nanoreno http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=50 but no-one posts there until March starts. I would recommend just putting that type of information in your recruitment thread?

Aqacia
Regular

#36 Post by Aqacia »

I was thinking of possibly taking part however i'm still new here and never took part in this before, still debating to give it a shot and try to find a group to join or to just observe. But i doubt people would be interested my artsyles not exactly what people often search for so i might just observe the event at least this year.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#37 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Aqacia wrote:I was thinking of possibly taking part however i'm still new here and never took part in this before, still debating to give it a shot and try to find a group to join or to just observe. But i doubt people would be interested my artsyles not exactly what people often search for so i might just observe the event at least this year.
There is no shame in trying :) Another important lesson is just starting and getting things done that way. If you wait then nothing is achieved. For my first Nanoreno I only did a couple CGs and small things and my art was god awful, but it was my /first/ released game and it taught me soooooo much. Seriously, treat Nano as a learning and experimental experience. It's not meant to be super serious, it's meant to be a festive and fun way for getting people over the first bump and releasing a game. It's mostly about personal challenge, doing what /you/ can do in a month. There are always people looking for artists :)

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#38 Post by Deji »

I agree with Auro here!
NaNo is a time for working with other people from the community, having fun and seeing a small project from beginning to end, no matter the quality! :P
(of course you should always try your best, but a I always try to drill into people: finished >>>>> perfect! You can work on projects that strive for perfection the rest of the year ;) )
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#39 Post by Harliqueen »

I'm hoping to participate this year, it's part of the reason I joined up on these forums :)

I've done a couple of visual novels (very short, simple ones for myself) to get used to the coding and art aspect, and am hoping to use NaNoReNo as an opportunity to push myself to the next step and try out something a little more involved, but not OTT.

It's gonna be great fun, and I'm looking forward to what others do as well!

Aqacia
Regular

#40 Post by Aqacia »

Thanks everyone i'l give it a try be it on my own or with a group depending how things go. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the games that get made.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#41 Post by PyTom »

Something I just realized is that this is the 10th anniversary NaNoRenO.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#42 Post by MaiMai »

PyTom wrote:Something I just realized is that this is the 10th anniversary NaNoRenO.
Whoa, wipeout...
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#43 Post by curry nochi rice »

PyTom wrote:Something I just realized is that this is the 10th anniversary NaNoRenO.
*slow clapping* should It proceed unchanged like how it has been for the past years?
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#44 Post by KuroOneHalf »

I'm excited about participating for the first time this year. Should be interesting. :d

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#45 Post by Fox Lee »

I'm finally gonna do it this year! I finally have a concept that's small and uncomplicated enough to be a sensible one person/one month goal. Coincidentally NaNoRenO's deadline matches almost perfectly with this yaoi+yuri convention in late March, where I'm gonna do a little workshop to introduce attendees to Ren'Py (last year everybody was crazy about otome games!). So I have a ton of drive to get it done!
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro