ALICE 1.1 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#31 Post by PyTom »

I would suggest that if you release alice packs, rather than releasing them as .rars containing the original pngs, you release them as .azips (which are just renamed zip files) containing the spng and tpng files. This way, people can use the new pack just by dropping it into the appropriate directory in the alice installation.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#32 Post by rioka »

A sou desu. That'll make things much easier! :goes off once more, hopefully for the last time today:

EDIT:
Okay, tried running and makespng.exe with no results. makethumb.exe worked fine. Any idea what's wrong? :?

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. For those who'll be making doll sets, instructions:

1) Put images into doll folder of alice program.
2) Go to command prompt and cd to directory where makethumb.exe + makespng.exe are located
3) Run makespng.exe first like so: ":\>makespng.exe *.png" It'll automatically look into doll folder and make .spng files
4) Now run makethumb.exe the same way.
5) You're done!

Cazel
Regular

#33 Post by Cazel »

Hmmm... the new body is not quite set up right. (I feel really bad making all these comments since you're doing this to help people like me, but I guess someone has to test things.) Okay, first. The undergarments do seem to line up correctly with the hair, which is good. Unforunately, the arms and torso... don't. They end up too high. The head and legs on the other hand have a worse problem. If any torsos, arms or hair backs are selected, the head and legs disappear. At the same time, when no torso, arms or hair backs are selected, the head and legs appear as normal, but the undergarments and hair bangs shrink into the top corner, the bangs ending up almost off the top. Most likely this is because the head and legs are 1500x4000, while everything else is 563x1500. This is also probably causing the head and legs to disappear when the torso, arms, or hair backs are selected, but I am not sure.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#34 Post by rioka »

Hello! Thanks for the comments. I don't mind them at all. I'm testing both the layers in an azip format right now. Bodies line up nicely (fixed head plus leg) but the hair and her undergarments are too low (even though I checked the height, even resaved it just to make sure). And the it doesn't like the config file I put in. :? But the good news is, the azip file is less than the betty pack! :p

:ahem: Well, more testing and hopefully something that works soon...

EDIT:
Yay! It's fixed. You can now download the azip versions of packs. Just drop them into the doll folder and it's set to go! (Btw, there's no config file in the alice azip. I can't get it to work for some reason and I'm due for some sleep. ^_^) ....And yes, the betty azip is the one that came with ALICE.

Cazel
Regular

#35 Post by Cazel »

:( I'm getting a 404 when I try to download the pack. (Isn't someone else trying this stuff? I don't want to be the only one noticing things.)

Ren

#36 Post by Ren »

*blames herself for being so stupid first*

T^T I tried doing that but all i get is "ignoring Arisu.png"
Could this be because i can't get the file to be called png instead of PNG?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#37 Post by rioka »

Cazel wrote::( I'm getting a 404 when I try to download the pack. (Isn't someone else trying this stuff? I don't want to be the only one noticing things.)
Fixed! Linking error. Gomen! m(_ _)m
Anywhooo, tested the images and it worked out well: screenshot. If you want to take off the lines, you'll have to manually take them off the list.

Btw, hair = back of hair. ^^
Ren wrote:T^T I tried doing that but all i get is "ignoring Arisu.png"
Could this be because i can't get the file to be called png instead of PNG?
I don't think it would be case sensitive but you can test if that is the case or not. Just put the commands at *.PNG instead of *.png ...Maybe that'll work. =)

Ren

#38 Post by Ren »

Yup, i tried that but it didn't work either...

I may still be doing something wrong though, if i double click on makethumbs.exe it works(and apparently it makes thumbs of your set) but it never worked with makespng.exe ...

Mind if i post what i got here?
I never even looked at command prompt before, i'm 99.9999% sure I did something wrong ._.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by monele »

No space between "*" and ".png" I think :)

Ren

#40 Post by Ren »

;_; Tried that too...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#41 Post by rioka »

Is the image in the dolls folder? If it is, then are all the files from the original extraction there in the folder (particularly the python23.dll)?

Ren

#42 Post by Ren »

Yup, it's in the image folder.
python23.dll, makespng, makethumb, main, recolor.glade and mainwindow.glade are in the alice-1.1 folder(basically i left everything where i found it)

;_; Sorry for being such a burden...

Cazel
Regular

#43 Post by Cazel »

Is your file in the format that PyTom set up for makespng? The file name in your pic doesn't seem to match the required set up.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#44 Post by PyTom »

Cazel got it right. The file name has to have 3 or 4 components, and you just specified 2. Since ALICE wasn't able to understand it, it reported it to you and just kept working.

The filenames need to be of the form:

doll_category_layer-42.png

or

doll_category_layer_image-42.png

(Case shouldn't matter, as it all is pushed down to lower case anyway.)

-----

In other news, now that we have azips with newer data, do people want me to release an ALICE that does not ship with the old dolls?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Cazel
Regular

#45 Post by Cazel »

Until we get some real clothes for either Alice or Betty, I would say no. Right now, the original alice is the only one that can really be used for placeholder graphics, unless you like scantily clad graphics.