(P)lanets 2 [Cancelled]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Takanashi
Regular

Re: (P)lanets 2 [GxB] [Sci-Fi School Life]

#46 Post by Takanashi »

I loved playing the first one, really looking forward to this one :) and your art keeps on improving, the game is looking pretty awesome^^
Crossing fingers that you maintain the humor that was present in the first one, I really liked that part about it!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#47 Post by teacup »

Thank you so much everyone. I hope I'm not letting you down with the lack of updates lately. I have never had this much homework in my life.
shyshasha wrote:i absolutely loved (P)lanets 1 the only thing that i disliked was the fact that we didnt have more choices to choose it really felt like the whole story was planned out i just wish we had more of an affect on the story and the growing romance and that we could interact more. besides that i have no problems ,if (p)lanets 2 is like that it will be the best game ever *.* and i just want to thank you for creating such a awesome game and hope u keep at it im definitely a huge fan after (p)lanets 1
There is certainly a lot more interaction in this game than the first one! You're right, the first game had a mostly linear story and the choices did not have a lot of impact. My excuse for that is that I didn't understand programming well enough to have a lot of branches - but now that I've learned quite a bit more about codes, I've addressed that problem. ^_^ I'm very grateful for people like you who are fans!
Alwerien wrote:Asajbhfjawbgfjaebgfehjbfehjbf Ren, I need Ren so bad. Even if it's just platonic-like end, I'm so gonna be brocon the whole time I play this.

Overall the art looks like a real step up from the previous game and Ren- *dreamy drool* Anyways, really looking forward to this! The gameplay here sounds really enjoyable as well!

And and...I really hope Pafe likes parfaits! it would be cute if she had some cupcake accessory or something sweets looking to her =w=

I don't really know what to advice (cough), just maybe be sure to check for transparent pixels (there is few around Pafe's mouth and neck for example) as on different-colored backgrounds it could end up a bit strange and it's very easy to fix! :)

I actually have few tips about clothes shading I can give you if you would like - don't want to intrude - especially since you didn't really want art critique~

And it's probably late again, but I really wish there was a girl (..roomie?) ending on this version (friend ending is totally fine, not asking for any kind of yuri) - I really tend to enjoy the casualty of a game when not pursuing any guy during some path - sort of gives...kind of a calm feeling and time to catch up on all the school stuff I missed - some neutral friend-like events accomplished through this way of playing would be nice too. Well, maybe for next sequel-
Oh yes, Pafe is a big fan of parfaits. That's part of the reason why she calls herself that XD She also has a lot of accessories, in fact, she rarely wears the school uniform!
I'll make sure to tidy up the sprites and get rid of any pixels before release. :) And I'd actually appreciate some tips on shading clothes, I really want to improve more!
Hm... while I likely won't be putting in a friendship ending, neutral, friend events are a good idea. There are a lot more events in this game than the first after all. Maybe if you're not clearly on any guy's path, you'd end up spending time with Pafe instead as a default.

@Takanashi
Don't worry, it would be impossible for me to not put my humor into this XD Comedy is a pretty big part of this game, maybe even moreso than the first!

Here's a screenshot with Ren's finished sprite.

Would anyone be interested in a brief gameplay video that shows off some of the features? Or should I just keep it all a surprise until the demo comes out? Hm..

Takanashi
Regular

#48 Post by Takanashi »

Good to hear! And WOW!!! Holy batman, that sprite is awesome!

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#49 Post by Nellie »

I vote for a gameplay video =3

(suddenly makes an appearance instead of stalking since I need to vote xD)

ShadowBerry
Veteran
Projects: Yakuza Blossom

#50 Post by ShadowBerry »

Demo, Ill wait for the demo! xD

And what are those dark spots on his shirt Oo
Looks like dirt or sth.
Own project:

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#51 Post by teacup »

I think I may make a small video/promo thing that shows a few features, but not all of them.. just for fun.
@Takanashi
:'D Haha, thanks!!
@Shadowberry
(´・ω・`;) dark spots? If you mean the dark grey/black splatters, they're just part of the design on his shirt. It was on his old sprite too;;

ShadowBerry
Veteran
Projects: Yakuza Blossom

#52 Post by ShadowBerry »

ahhhh
Okay, I thought because they were randomly in the middle of the shirt xD

Mhhh....But to bad you cant date him :/
Own project:

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#53 Post by teacup »

So today I've been working a lot on UI stuff, which I'm not very good at so I really need your guys' help >m<;
I had to redo the textbox since there are a lot more buttons on screen [cellphone, psych button, notebook etc] and with the old textbox, there was no place to put them.
I think the shape of the textbox is good, however I'm struggling a bit with the color. This is where I need your opinions on which looks best.

ImageImage
ImageImage
So far I've tried out orange, purple, blue, and red-ish. Those 3 squares on the right side will be the cellphone, psych and journal buttons . I moved the other buttons to the bottom of the textbox as you can see.
Which one of these do you prefer? Or do you want to see another color? Please don't tell me you prefer the old textbox, because I won't be going back to that one.
If you think none of them look good, give me some suggestions ;w; As I said before, this type of UI design isn't my strong point and I'm very open to changing it!

Also, since the game goes through an entire year I figured a date display would be important. Does it look okay, or is it too simple? Of course, if I change the color of the textbox, I will change the color of this as well.
Ive also redone the journal screen, which I think looks much better.
The colors on the right are actually buttons. Click on them, and you can see each page of the journal.
You can view this screen anytime with the journal button that will be on the textbox.
I'm also redoing the cellphone system. Instead of using messages, I'm thinking of just faking the message system using nothing but screens. I'm having some trouble getting the message system to do what I want, so I need to change it >_<
Here's what I have so far:
It looks a bit plain. So what I think is that, if you're reading mail from Nemu, for example, it will show Nemu's picture over on the left side.
Please give me opinions on this as well. XD

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Here's an example of how the cellphone looks when you're reading someone's message.

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#54 Post by sciencewarrior »

I'd go with the blue textbox. The others will probably get tiring after a while.

The date display looks fine. It's just a nice reminder, so it shouldn't draw too much attention. If anything, I'd make it a bit smaller.

How about changing the colors to the right of the journal into tabs? They would look much more "clickable" and fit with the notebook idea.

Showing pictures in the cellphone system sounds nice, but would you keep the same expression? Change the expression depending on the message's tone?
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#55 Post by distorsion »

*Spends next five minutes giggling over the adourably funny text message.*
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#56 Post by distorsion »

I love the idea, will the messages be story related at all?
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Aurehan
Regular

#57 Post by Aurehan »

aslkjdhf I love what you did with the journal!
Aws, Nemu's so cute xD <33
I like how simple the cell phone message display is, actually. D: It's self-explanatory, and I'm not lost as to where I should be looking!
As for the textbox, I'd go for the orange or the blue. The blue is relaxing to look at, and the orange has a really nice feel to it. Although, I feel like the purple would have looked nice too if you made it a softer shade. But I really like the orange./ming
Also, I'm definitely looking forward to a demo aksjhdfs/runs
"The two most important days of your life are
the day you are born, and the day you find out why.
"
[♦] Mark Twain

Acorn

#58 Post by Acorn »

I definitely like the blue textbox best; the others draw a little too much attention to themselves.
As for the day/season box, I like it and agree that it could be a little smaller. Having it change colour depending on the season might look good, too!
The aura colours definitely need to either have a black box around them, or be laid out slightly differently, so they're not all touching one another, as it's a little hard on the eyes. D:

But it's all looking great! I'm looking forward to more updates! n_n

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#59 Post by Blane Doyle »

I like the blue UI, but the orange and purple ones are very nice as well. They would look better if the shades were... cooler? Softer?

The date, notebook, and phone displays look very nice to me, and I agree with sciencewarrior that changing expressions for different messages would be interesting.

therealrose
Regular

#60 Post by therealrose »

I like the orange one the best, for me it just looks... right. Though when I scrolled up to the purple one with Ren's sprite that one looked cool too. I wish that there could be a different text box with each dude! Cause I think some text boxes look better depending on the background/sprite. Honestly I have no idea which you should choose. So welcome for being no help at all. :)