ALICE (was: funny softwarez)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#46 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Seeing as no one else had enough sensitivity to give Alice some clothes, it looks like I'll have to :P . I'm really interested in getting everyone's feedback, so tell me what you think. Do you think it's on par to be released with ALICE? I'm not really an artist so...

PyTom >> If its good enough, let me know and I'll e-mail you the project file (.psd). For some reason, I couldn't upload it to the forums... ;_;

During the course of drawing that picture, I thought about a few things...

I think that the head should be separate from the body. Different facial expressions change the shape of the face differently. I suppose you could have an entire copy of the body for every different shape of the head, but that would inflate the size of the program. If the head is separate, it wouldn't take too much more file space to include different jaw positions as well as even 3/4 views. The whole body doesn't need to change to have the head in a 3/4 view- all you might have to change would be the neck.
What about the maximum height of the image? If my assumption that Eclipse's Alice is at the max dimensions, then there is a bit of a limitation on how high her hair (or how tall her hat) can be... I actually had to shrink my Alice's hair a little bit to make it fit.
There needs to be some sort of guideline for facial features, to allow for compatibility between different artists. Otherwise, you may end up being able to place a nose drawn by one artist right on top of a mouth drawn by another artist. I think the best person to designate the guidelines would be the person who submitted the body template. Of course, I think these should just be guidelines, and not absolutes. Still give the artist the freedom to put things where they want, but let them know that their drawings may be incompatible with the drawings of others
Attachments
My-Alice.png
(569.41 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#47 Post by Glasskitten »

WOOHOO, ALICE HAS CLOTHES!!!!! =^@_@^=

It reminds me of how wish I had a tablet, or at least the patience and resources to clean up my poor-quality lineart.

Hurray for Alice, for now she can step outdoors without being arrested!
:D :D :D
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#48 Post by rioka »

lol She may have clothes but she's still going commando... ;D :gets bopped on the head by Alice and reprimanded for not getting her undergarments in the first place:

Err... Anyways...
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Seeing as no one else had enough sensitivity to give Alice some clothes, it looks like I'll have to :P
How considerate of you, Junichi! Alice thanks you numerously. :)

I like what you've done. Her hair could be better though. (Hey, you asked for it. ;) ) For example, the bigger gaps in her bangs on the left and right hand side makes her look like she's sick with cancer and going bald. I suggest filling the space up with more hair. Also, her hair just stops under her earlobe. It makes her look like she shaved the rest of her hair behind her. More tendrils in that area and she'd look much better, imo. =)
ShiraiJunichi wrote:I think that the head should be separate from the body. ...The whole body doesn't need to change to have the head in a 3/4 view- all you might have to change would be the neck.
That's a interesting thought and it would allow for more versatility.
ShiraiJunichi wrote:What about the maximum height of the image? If my assumption that Eclipse's Alice is at the max dimensions, then there is a bit of a limitation on how high her hair (or how tall her hat) can be... I actually had to shrink my Alice's hair a little bit to make it fit.
How about we make the dimensions an even 1500x4000 (originally 1180x3352)? That'll give us more room for chunky shoes (or similar) and hair and accessories like hats.
ShiraiJunichi wrote:There needs to be some sort of guideline for facial features, to allow for compatibility between different artists. I think the best person to designate the guidelines would be the person who submitted the body template. Of course, I think these should just be guidelines, and not absolutes.
I'll eventually get to that next week. It's just that Alice's clothes comes first so everyone'll have to fend for themselves for now. ^_^

Btw, I'll be making a page for ALICE in renaigames.net soon. If any artist is interested, I'd be willing to link to you if you've designed something using any of my ALICE template(s). =)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#49 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

eclipse wrote:I like what you've done. Her hair could be better though. (Hey, you asked for it. ) For example, the bigger gaps in her bangs on the left and right hand side makes her look like she's sick with cancer and going bald. I suggest filling the space up with more hair. Also, her hair just stops under her earlobe. It makes her look like she shaved the rest of her hair behind her. More tendrils in that area and she'd look much better, imo. =)
Thanks for the feed back elipse. Shortly after I uploaded the picture I realized the problems with the hair. I'll try to fix it soon. Though I'm not too sure how to fix the hair near the bottom- it's behind her head so... Anyway, I spent a lot of time designing another set of hair and facial features, but the hair just looks so completely wrong. The ringlets (what I thought woud be problematic) aren't too bad, but the rest just doesn't seem to work out. I'll try and fix that and submit it later tonight along with the revised first set of hair. That is, if it's ok to submit stuff here... I don't see much of a problem with submitting stuff via the forums- perhaps just in a separate thread?

Does anyone know of any anime oekaki tutorials? Especially for eyes. I'd like to be able to give eyes that reflective shine- as they stand right now they look so flat ;_;...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#50 Post by rioka »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Though I'm not too sure how to fix the hair near the bottom- it's behind her head so...
I've attached a pic below on how you can do it. =)
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Does anyone know of any anime oekaki tutorials? Especially for eyes. I'd like to be able to give eyes that reflective shine- as they stand right now they look so flat ;_;...
The main problem with the eyes is that you only used one shade. Normally, there should be three shades. You have blue (#1) but you're missing shade (#2) and highlight (#3). That's what makes eyes have depth. Otherwise, they tend to look pretty flat. I did a rather quicky shade and highlight on her eyes in the file below. Hope that helps.
Attachments
Bottom hair exmaple plus shade #2 and 3 in eyes.
Bottom hair exmaple plus shade #2 and 3 in eyes.
junichi1.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 2994 times

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I changes I was thinking about are the same you provided, but I wasn't sure it would look right. But it looks good, so thanks ^_^

I swear I gave those eyes a gradient- must be thinking about the second pair of eyes I did. For that second pair of eyes, I used a gradient, and then blurred in a bit of solid color afterward. It looks better... but still fairly flat. 3 colors you say? Where do you place them, and how do you blend them together? With the blur tool, or is there a better method? Perhaps a complex radial gradient... hmm....

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#52 Post by rioka »

Whether I blend them or not, I always put the darker shade near the blacks of the eyes with lighter colors near the bottom half. I've attached a sample of the eyes I did on an earlier image I did. This one, I blended.

I tend not to use gradients on eyes since I have more control just using the opacity and building that way. But hey, whatever works for you. =)

Btw, I found some people interested in making some stuff for ALICE. Someone already made a male body template. (Gotta ask him for a larger version...) Anyways, check out the thread at MangaTutorials.com.
Attachments
Eye sample - blended
Eye sample - blended
eye_sample.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#53 Post by rioka »

Well, I gave PyTom some stuff for ALICE he can work with. Now it's all in his hands... ^_^

:goes back to working on rest of designs:
Attachments
Sneak peek of stuff I gave PyTom
Sneak peek of stuff I gave PyTom
BodyFemale_Alice01a.gif (6.73 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#54 Post by Otaku Dash »

Looks very good eclipse! :D I like Brown/grey related uniforms... I'm not into blue ones.

Mmm.... This may sound odd right now... but dosen't the chin in the ALICE model look... I don't know... a bit too much alongated? (sorry its just and Indication of estetics... I'm used to a diferent style)
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Otaku Dash wrote:Mmm.... This may sound odd right now... but dosen't the chin in the ALICE model look... I don't know... a bit too much alongated? (sorry its just and Indication of estetics... I'm used to a diferent style)
That's kind of how I felt while I was creating my art. That's why I suggested allowing different heads to be used with the same body

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#56 Post by rioka »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
Otaku Dash wrote:Mmm.... This may sound odd right now... but dosen't the chin in the ALICE model look... I don't know... a bit too much alongated? (sorry its just and Indication of estetics... I'm used to a diferent style)
That's kind of how I felt while I was creating my art. That's why I suggested allowing different heads to be used with the same body
Yup, it's long and pointy. This is where the different body templates types comes in. Technically, she's more suited to the "realistic" and "adult" style which has the long nose and more curvy figure. The next types will have the "less pointy chin" and "smaller built" attributes, an all-in-all more "bishoujo" look.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#57 Post by mikey »

BodyFemale_Alice01a.gif >> I know guys shouldn't say these things as we should compliment the skirt or blouse, but... I love the shoes! 8)

Hmmm, maybe it's a good idea to rename the topic? Funny softwarez is kind of... you know... the thread is hijacked for good anyway ^_^
eclipse wrote:Technically, she's more suited to the "realistic" and "adult" style which has the long nose and more curvy figure.
I actually prefer these, so... it has my support!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#58 Post by rioka »

re Otaku Dash>> Thanks! I'll be making other-colored uniforms as well. If folks don't like them, they can always use the HSL feature. =)

re mikey>> Well, technically it's not uncommon for girls to compliment on each others' shoes, so if you were in a dating sim right now, you'd score major points. =D

PyTom was supposed to change the thread name but I guess he hasn't gotten around to it yet. Anywhoo, ALICE pages coming soon at RG.net...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#59 Post by rioka »

As mentioned here, I've stepped up finishing designs for ALICE. Below is a preview of what I've sent to PyTom.

It's actually part of the School Uniform set I made but it ended up looking like either a) teacher apparel or b) high-class private school uniform. ^_^
Attachments
Most of the things I sent to PyTom. Does not show ponytail.
Most of the things I sent to PyTom. Does not show ponytail.
BodyFemale_Alice01-20.gif (6.27 KiB) Viewed 2746 times

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#60 Post by mikey »

I like it! School uniforms are great, but the more casual outfits the better 8)

My, that skirt is *really* short though... :oops: