Controlled Chaos; or, Second Origins (demo up to Ch 8)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#61 Post by Watercolorheart »

The artifacts were REALLY visible to me, because I had to save each image seperately. When I batched them all to JPEG and converted and ran it again, I noticed that the compression changed each time, particularly around the face ...

Like a bad GIF, the diffusion is different each time ... too bad I didn't set them all up for compositing, but then I would lose some effects and things.

So, I dunno. I'll figure it out later.

Also, I tried converting the 128 bit rate mp3s to OGG, and they ended up 150% larger. WTF?

-

Erm, well, the voice actors got the stripped down text of Chapter Three, since that's all that's there right now. No special pictures or anything.

So, since I voice-acted for Laura for an hour and half and spent another hour coding it BEFORE I realized that 56 bit rate sounded awful (very tinny, noticable loss of quality) and that I'd have to redo all of it again ...

(sigh) ...

Probably another few days or so before I feel confident to release.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#62 Post by monele »

Also be aware of reds in the picture. Might have to up the quality a bit if there is red somewhere because it gets artifacts pretty quickly :/

EDIT :
Also, I tried converting the 128 bit rate mp3s to OGG, and they ended up 150% larger. WTF?
Well there's also a quality involved with OGG... 128kbits OGG = 128kbits MP3... that's pretty much the only truth about it I think ô_o. But supposedly, you could have 96kb OGG sounding as good as 128kb MP3. What are you using to convert ?
Last edited by monele on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#63 Post by Alessio »

BCS wrote:Also, I tried converting the 128 bit rate mp3s to OGG, and they ended up 150% larger. WTF?
First of all I'd recommend to re-encode to OGG from the original .WAV files. Converting from one compressed format to another (e.g. MP3 to OGG-Vorbis) will yield a less good result. I can do that for Bion's lines if you want, I still have the WAV files.

About the file size: Like with MP3, you can encode OGG-Vorbis using different options (mono vs. stereo, compression amount). With equal quality, OGG-Vorbis files are a bit smaller than MP3 ones IMHO. OGG-Speex might offer even better speech compression than OGG-Vorbis, but I have never tried it.
BCS wrote:I voice-acted for Laura for an hour and half and spent another hour coding it BEFORE I realized that 56 bit rate sounded awful (very tinny, noticable loss of quality) and that I'd have to redo all of it again ...
Redo it... I hope you mean the encoding, and not the voice acting. I hope you still have your original WAV files.

The cutting of the WAV files is time-consuming, but encoding is actually fairly easy with e.g. oggdropXPd, just drag & drop.
Last edited by Alessio on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#64 Post by monele »

I recommend the use of dbPowerAmp converter for batch converts btw ^^. Unless you have something better.. in which case *I* am interested ^^

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#65 Post by Watercolorheart »

I still have all my original OGG files, but these are backed up as a last resort, should - for some odd reason - I corrupt all the files in my game folder.

Oh, well, just forget about it. I'll just do OGG from here on out.

Also, I am using Audacity to encode to OGG.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#66 Post by Watercolorheart »

Wow, sorry for the lag.

I've got Chapter 3 done, the only thing left is coding in the correct PNGs as composite images, and re-recording Laura's lines. I've been waiting on my other voice actors, but so far .... nothing from the girl who was going to do Yukina, or from the guy who'll do Matthew, so I suppose I'll need to just forge ahead without.

Look, it's a crappy picture XD.

So, I'll try to get something done. I also was wasting my time on an animation of Yukina that I'm unhappy with because it doesn't look "professional."
Attachments
An alien crystalline spore (called the K-90 spore) that's talked about in the prologue
An alien crystalline spore (called the K-90 spore) that's talked about in the prologue
spore.png (589.71 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#67 Post by Watercolorheart »

Bion sprite
Attachments
My colorist (StickofJapanese http://sno-dove.deviantart.com ) and me worked on this one
My colorist (StickofJapanese http://sno-dove.deviantart.com ) and me worked on this one
bioncolored.png (157.55 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#68 Post by Watercolorheart »

The new Chapter Three update. With voice-acting and some more sprites and stuff.
Attachments
CC-Ch3.zip
(24.25 MiB) Downloaded 93 times

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#69 Post by DaFool »

For something that started as an overnight thing, I'd say this is really promising.

And your speed of production is insane! :D I still haven't finished reviewing the latest installment.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#70 Post by Watercolorheart »

I make a lot of drawings for this game D:
Attachments
This took about 2 hours to sketch digitally (not because it was hard to draw but because I kept on changing my mind about how his jawline and eyes should look) but I think I finally settled on what I want
This took about 2 hours to sketch digitally (not because it was hard to draw but because I kept on changing my mind about how his jawline and eyes should look) but I think I finally settled on what I want
matthew_concept2.png (430.54 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
I made a big fat error on this picture D: .... in the design ... whoops ...
<br />
<br />But I *really* like how 4-5 hours of shading can turn out
I made a big fat error on this picture D: .... in the design ... whoops ...

But I *really* like how 4-5 hours of shading can turn out
pretty.png (481.07 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
bathroomsketch.png
(laugh) I feel awkward drawing this ... it's from Chapter 2, when Laura takes Yukina into the bathroom to get a tissue and they have their conversation there, away from prying ears
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
I'm not even the same person anymore

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#71 Post by Watercolorheart »

*whine* Please review ...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#72 Post by mikey »

BCS wrote:*whine* Please review ...
But you'll understand if I want to wait for the full version, right? I played the two-chapter demo, but nothing since. But I'm looking forward, although I also want to have a full experience for myself.
BCS wrote:I made a big fat error on this picture D: .... in the design ... whoops ...
I couldn't resist to take a look - ah, the memories... Remember how you also did the Ochi & apron accident? :P Unfortunately, this one can't really be used no matter what you'd do. :(

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by Watercolorheart »

mikey wrote: Unfortunately, this one can't really be used no matter what you'd do. :(
Actually, not counting various concept art (and having to change the titlescreen) ... there's only one CG I would need to modify: the sleeping CG.

I didn't like it anyway, the hair is ugly -_-;.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#74 Post by Alessio »

Very nice, especially Matthew. Has something of an 80ies anime style. ^_^

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by Watercolorheart »

^80s style? *grin* I've not been told that before.

I don't know if I've even watched that much older anime, unless Evangelion and Escaflowne count ...

Anyway, I set up a voice-acting thread like Pytom suggested, even if its a tad belated. So far, nothing in my inbox, but I do realize it takes a while to prep such things.

http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/sh ... hp?t=16343

~

Gonna go lock myself in the bedroom now, and try to write. Someone will always knock on my door at 10 AM and be like, "Ashley, time to get ... oh, you're already up."