R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 6/01/08, we aren't dead >.o)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Threevenge
Regular

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 3/30/08, story done)

#61 Post by Threevenge »

Okay, here's the deal: we've had a surge of activity the last few days that has been an absolute motivation booster :D . I think we're gotten our second wind and soon you'll see plenty of activity going on. Bloodywyvern has been toying with a demo at the moment and hopefully it'll be ready for the public in a few weeks. I plan on having Day 3 completely edited by the end of the month and possibly a fair portion of Day 4. I would be going at my previous pace but college started up again and my time is limited.

Oh, one more thing I should mention: Anybody attending Anime Iowa might happen to see me and a few friends of mine wearing T-shirts with a logo for Reality's Dream and we might have a few demo discs prepared to hand out. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

That's all I got for now.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream (editor)

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 3/30/08, story done)

#62 Post by bloodywyvern »

Ah, sorry I didn't provide the last update. I've been a bit swamped with the project in the last few days. Well, actually that's a good thing. That means things are happening! Alright here we go.

The good news...we're working. The BEST news...we have a full staff! Wait, no bad news? That's right, none at all to report. We could use an event CG artist, but current staff could conceivably manage it so it's not a priority. Things are currently running smoothly in all areas, yes even in art. Since the staff JUST filled up, I won't be posting things up just yet. In the future though expect much more pretty updates (hopefully).

Anyway, Cybeat is our new character artist. He's been nice enough to offer up some time to the project. Supplement that with the ability of our CG artist storm-and-fire and we have a rather deadly combo. Music progress has passed the half way point, with 55% of it completed.

Our new logo (as designed by RidleyWright):

Longshot aptly describes the original status of the project, so we applied it as the name the game will be produced under.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Threevenge
Regular

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 4/10/08, logo)

#63 Post by Threevenge »

Alright, some new stuff. Concept sketches are being done and I'm starting to get back to editing some big chucks out of the rough script. Bloodywyvern will be waking to another 20-page chunk of edits :P . Just to inform you all I am reading the script for the first time as I am editing and I'm really getting into this story :D . The best perk of editing: reading the story before the public gets to see it :P.

So, watch for some big stuff to happen soon.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream (editor)

honoreixix
Regular

#64 Post by honoreixix »

hi, i haven't read the other posts but i was interested in making the opening movie... is that position filled in already?

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#65 Post by Cybeat »

Threevenge wrote:Alright, some new stuff. Concept sketches are being done and I'm starting to get back to editing some big chucks out of the rough script. Bloodywyvern will be waking to another 20-page chunk of edits :P . Just to inform you all I am reading the script for the first time as I am editing and I'm really getting into this story :D . The best perk of editing: reading the story before the public gets to see it :P.

So, watch for some big stuff to happen soon.
Ah, so you're the editor of R.E.M. Nice to meet you. Good to hear about the progress. Just let me know when I need to draw the characters.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#66 Post by bloodywyvern »

honoreixix wrote:hi, i haven't read the other posts but i was interested in making the opening movie... is that position filled in already?
No it isn't, do you have any samples I could look at to see your skills? (You can PM them to me)
Scripts in planning- 1

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: R.E.M: Reality's Dream (Update 4/25/08, rambling)

#67 Post by bloodywyvern »

Tonights title: The Doors of Perception

As some people may (or may not) have noticed, we have sorta gone in to stealth mode since we have a full team. I don't quite expect people to be following these posts, they are more for my own benefit and a bit of record keeping xD. There really isn't much to post visually (though there's more done, it's on the subtle side). May will be a hectic month for the team, I'll explain that later.

Anyway, the updates for Reality's Dream are as followed: Concept Sketches completely finished (one per character=10), first character CGed, second sketch cleaned up and prepared for CGing. Music has sort of stalled for the most part as most of storm-and-fire's time has gone in to CGing and artwork clean up. She's currently the most overworked member >.>; I so wish I knew how to CG.

On my side, I've done some pre-editing and little edits to the script here or there. Also, made some leeway with Jamais Vu. That's at around 10k words or so. It's really not much in the overall scheme of things. The intro isn't even finished yet. I've also been trying to come up with good ideas for a main menu, none so far.

Threevenge has...been slacking. He's been doing a little editing here or there, but for the most part he's doing what I did in February...taking a break. Can't really blame him considering the size of the script, so cheer him on and get him pumped up again.

On another note, our team for the most part as decided to stay together upon completion of this project. We've worked out a sort of free form system that will make it very flexible for the members, and allow for additional members. Our website is under development by a programmer friend of one of the staff members, so look forward to that.

Cybeat is currently handling finalization of some concepts, putting together a second logo with a little more umph, and doing costume design. If we all give him a cookie maybe he will do event CG's too :3 After a little rough patch in designing the second background, qq has finished a concept that blew away his earlier ones so we're happy about that as well.

Basically we are on a slow smooth sailing expedition, with just a speck of progress being made every day.

Ok, you can skip this next stuff. Ahem, May will be hectic for the team as it will be testing our limits on beginning enthusiasm vs. honest dedication. storm-and-fire due to circumstances, will be giving very lop sided updates with unpredictable timing, and the newer members will have their work ethic tested. We had a few miscommunications, stumbles and organizational woes but everything is A-OK. I have one issue left to deal with and that's with my own mind >.>;

Take care all! We'll be going back to work now :3
Scripts in planning- 1

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#68 Post by azureXtwilight »

Umm.... I'm totally interested, and can't wait! Can you predict the size of this game? :lol:

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#69 Post by bloodywyvern »

Predict a size huh...? :? That's rather difficult. An all original sound track with at least 10 separate tracks, ten characters and backgrounds enough to supplement a 156k script...so pretty big.
Scripts in planning- 1

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#70 Post by azureXtwilight »

:shock: R-R-R-R-REALLY...!!!???? :shock:
Wow! That's enormous!!!
To tell you the truth, downloading 10 MBs cost me 1 hour...
10 songs will be more then 10 Mb, more if they're in full tracks, character art....
But I'm still gonna download it!
Mwahahahahahahah!!!!

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#71 Post by bloodywyvern »

Haha, yeah ^^; we are being rather ambitious and it's been working so far. Though most of our staff is currently way overworked so things have slowed down a bit to allow for some relaxation. Glad to hear you will try it out when the time comes.
Scripts in planning- 1

Jake
Support Hero

#72 Post by Jake »

bloodywyvern wrote:Predict a size huh...? :? That's rather difficult. An all original sound track with at least 10 separate tracks, ten characters and backgrounds enough to supplement a 156k script...so pretty big.
For what it's worth, a, 800x600 highest-quality JPEG tends to be 100-150kb; PNG character sprites a similar size each. I'd expect a thousand words of script to take about 50kb, call it 60kb to turn it into game script.

This makes about nine megabytes of uncompiled script (presuming you're using Ren'Py, the compiled size seems to vary from just-under to just-over the uncompiled size, so call it the same); at a guess thirty backgrounds for 3.5MB; ten characters, say three poses each on average for another 3.5MB for 16MB without music. Music is totally unpredictable, it depends as much on the encoding and the length of the pieces, but for reference Star Story Saga: Renaissance had an "all original sound track with at least 10 separate tracks" (actually, exactly 10 separate tracks), and at perfectly-listenable 128kbps OGG varying between just-over-three and just-under-six minutes long, that consumes just over 34MB - which would bring your total to a round 50MB. Add on another three or four megabytes for CGs, if you plan to throw as many of those in as a 156kword script might expect, I guess.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

honoreixix
Regular

#73 Post by honoreixix »

azureXtwilight wrote:10 songs will be more then 10 Mb, more if they're in full tracks, character art....
But I'm still gonna download it!
Mwahahahahahahah!!!!
me too, size doesn't matter...i'm looking forward to this game as well... :mrgreen:
I'm hidden and no one expects much of me... I just hope I don't disappoint anyone...
I'd rather fail doing something I love than succeed doing something I hate...

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#74 Post by bloodywyvern »

Jake wrote:For what it's worth, a, 800x600 highest-quality JPEG tends to be 100-150kb; PNG character sprites a similar size each. I'd expect a thousand words of script to take about 50kb, call it 60kb to turn it into game script.

This makes about nine megabytes of uncompiled script (presuming you're using Ren'Py, the compiled size seems to vary from just-under to just-over the uncompiled size, so call it the same); at a guess thirty backgrounds for 3.5MB; ten characters, say three poses each on average for another 3.5MB for 16MB without music. Music is totally unpredictable, it depends as much on the encoding and the length of the pieces, but for reference Star Story Saga: Renaissance had an "all original sound track with at least 10 separate tracks" (actually, exactly 10 separate tracks), and at perfectly-listenable 128kbps OGG varying between just-over-three and just-under-six minutes long, that consumes just over 34MB - which would bring your total to a round 50MB. Add on another three or four megabytes for CGs, if you plan to throw as many of those in as a 156kword script might expect, I guess.
Ah, that's a pretty good analysis of the situation I suppose. I'd say it will be a bit higher though, just because we aren't the most organized bunch who are trying to cut back in size everywhere and anywhere we can. Though, in the future we'll probably look in to space cutting measures.
honoreixix wrote:me too, size doesn't matter...i'm looking forward to this game as well... :mrgreen:
Glad to hear it ^^ May will be hectic as mentioned, so you won't hear much from me unless we have a BIG amount of progress. I'll be sure to update at least by the first of next month, sooner depending on what gets sent my way.
Scripts in planning- 1

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#75 Post by azureXtwilight »

Jake wrote:
bloodywyvern wrote:Predict a size huh...? :? That's rather difficult. An all original sound track with at least 10 separate tracks, ten characters and backgrounds enough to supplement a 156k script...so pretty big.
For what it's worth, a, 800x600 highest-quality JPEG tends to be 100-150kb; PNG character sprites a similar size each. I'd expect a thousand words of script to take about 50kb, call it 60kb to turn it into game script.

f-f-f-f-f-ifty MB!!!
(yells to mom)
Mooom! I'll tell ya, add speedy to our internet! Downloading 50 MBs cost me a FULL 5 hours!
(Anime sweatdrop)
.....Or at least lemme play for 5 hours, please please,pretty please....