Archive Site

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
RedSlash
Veteran

#76 Post by RedSlash »

Actually, ISTR that since the Berne convention, the default is to have a new work be copyright, with all rights being reserved. So it's no longer necessary to write "All Rights Reserved" on anything, and those words now have no legal meaning. (In the US, at least.)
That's correct. You don't even have to right (c) Copyright by blah blah blah cause its protected the second you create it. People only right that these days just to get the point across.
Well, the precise details of the CC licenses varies. Some allow derivative works (including fanfiction), while some don't. The granularity is also fairly hight. I personally will probably release works using a license that doesn't allow such works, so I can retain control over how people use my stuff. I would allow fanfiction if asked, for example, but I wouldn't want people using my character art to represent other characters in a flash hentai game.
Like I said, CC is a customizable license which you can choose it to your liking, that is whether you want derivative works or not. As for fanfaction in a flash hentai game, that might actually fall under ethics law as discuss on the CC-lists (cause the people doing it is demoralizing your work). But its true, if you don't want you stuff used in that kind of situtation, its best not to allow derivative works.

wind
Regular

#77 Post by wind »

im new at ren`py but anygame i make you are free to use and will be submitted to your site

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#78 Post by mikey »

Sai wrote:I think in terms of the final product though, in the long run, using another persons artwork and base story would mainly hurt originality. To some that's a bigger deal than others.
Words of wisdom indeed. Well, it's funny how things turn out sometimes, I am just re-thinking the concept of my Misato shrine... :D :P Hope they have internet connection in jail, heh :twisted: (sound too sketchy? should clarify within a few days.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#79 Post by mikey »

I noticed a new face on the Ren'Ai Archives page! What game is it from? It's a girl with long black hair... Hmmm....

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#80 Post by rioka »

As far as I can tell you, that is Itsumi. She was submitted by Maru, a new forum member. As for her being in a game... your guess is as good as mine!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#81 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, there seems to be a lot going on "underground". I think PyTom must also have a huge overview of the things going on since everyone asks him how to do this and that in Ren'Py. Secretly pulling the strings of the ren'ai world aren't you? ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#82 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote: I think PyTom must also have a huge overview of the things going on since everyone asks him how to do this and that in Ren'Py. Secretly pulling the strings of the ren'ai world aren't you? ^_^
I think that way overestimates how organized I am. It's not like I keep files on _everyone_ who is making a Ren'ai game. And in most cases, those files are missing things like dental records and identifiable birthmarks.

But seriously, despite my love for information, I actually don't know all that much. I still have only a vague idea of how many Ren'Py games will be released for NaNoRenO, for example.

My true motivation is that of enlightened selfishness. By providing tools, games, and hosting, I hope to grow the size of the original english-language game community... which will in turn lead to there being more games for me to play.

After that, I will don Taishi Kuhonbutsu's glasses, and I figure I'll see world domination right on the horizon.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#83 Post by mikey »

So the rumors about Ren'Py sending snapshots of HDDs to an unknown adress aren't true after all... :lol:

I think it's a great job you've done. Still, don't forget to make a game every now or then, MW was great and we want to play too. Enlightened selfishness... I just keep learning and learning at these forums :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#84 Post by PyTom »

I'm working on the game... working on it. :-) Actually forced myself to write for an hour before playing TT.

In other news, renai.us has broken the 1 gig transfer mark for the month... the first month for which it has done so.

Bully!

Update Or not. lemmasoft.renai.us passed the 1 gig mark... renai.us has been way over that for a while, pushing 6 gigs.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#85 Post by rioka »

6 gigs in five months, not bad! Speaking of benchmarks - there are now 11 games in the list. Half of which was released just this year. At this rate, we'll probably reach 20 by the years end...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#86 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote:6 gigs in five months, not bad!
Well, if you think that's not bad... the number I mentioned was for March. Rounding and ignoring the base 2 conversions because I'm too lazy, we did 6.1gb so far this month, 5.1 last month, and 3.6 in January. (That's where my analysis tool starts.)

The three months have had 2190, 2042, and 1841 visits, respectively.

World domination is practically at hand!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#87 Post by rioka »

PyTom wrote:World domination is practically at hand!
Yeah... but who's going to be sitting on top? ;D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#88 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:
I think Chrololuminaire's game just may have an answer for that...
eclipse wrote:6 gigs in five months, not bad! Speaking of benchmarks - there are now 11 games in the list. Half of which was released just this year. At this rate, we'll probably reach 20 by the years end...
Let's hope so... I think NaNoRenO had a huge influence on this and possibly also on upcoming releases (the ones that didn't make the deadline), so 2005 will (or IS, rather ^_^) the year for fan ren'ai games. :wink: :P

It's really perhaps small numbers right now, but actually, over the past 2 years, the game output always at least doubled - there should be very few communities able to show such growth...

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#89 Post by chronoluminaire »

mikey wrote:
eclipse wrote:
I think Chrololuminaire's game just may have an answer for that...
Muhahahaha!

And while I couldn't possibly say yes or no, I will tell you that "Muhahaha" does appear somewhere in the script... ;)
mikey wrote:It's really perhaps small numbers right now, but actually, over the past 2 years, the game output always at least doubled - there should be very few communities able to show such growth...
Yeah. Superb stuff, all. This is an exciting time for the community. :D

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#90 Post by rioka »

re chronoluminaire>> Seriously? Great! Do you have the maniacal rubbing of the hands and maniacal look too? :lives in hope:

re mikey>> I think we got a good chance of reaching, if not surpassing, 20. Consider this: Chronoluminaire's releasing his NaNoRenO game any day now (#13), Metropolitan Blues should be coming out soon considering Blue Lemma's good news(#14), PyTom's going to release something this spring/summer (#15), you're releasing something this summer (#16), I'm releasing at least 2 more games this year (#17, and #18 ), and then there are the rest of the folks like Megaman Z, Albie, Nyna, PixelWrangler, Taleweaver, etc who has projects being worked on right now - so yeah, it's looking pretty good overall imo. ^__^ :enter maniacal laughter here:

And at this rate, maybe someone will overtake your leading domination in ren'ai releases... ;D
Last edited by rioka on Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.