Van Von Hunter Memorial High School

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Van Von Hunter Memorial High School

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff »

So I was cleaning up my hard drive the other day when I came across an old project: Van Von Hunter Memorial High School.

Unfortunately, the game itself appears to have been deleted. But I still have a video recording of it. Basically, we wanted to produce a "proof of concept" to put in front of Tokyopop to see what they thought of the idea. In this case, it was shortly after the release of the iPhone. Consequently, we wanted to show Tokyopop not only what one of their properties would look like in visual novel format, but also how it'd look on the iPhone - which at the time was a shining beacon of opportunity and promise.

Anyway, it really is just a "quickie" proof of concept. All the BGs are filtered photos, and the music is all lifted from the Shuffle! anime. The sprites are all original, though. Being a video recording of playback, you only get to see one path, and it runs for about 15 minutes.

Since Van Von Hunter has always been an outlet to poke fun at various genres, VVHMHS was intended to lambaste all the generic clichés of the visual novel genre. Although, this POC only runs long enough to establish the viability of using Ren'Py.

In any event, I'm interested to see what others think of the concept.
VVHM_sample1.jpg
VVHM_sample2.jpg
VVHM_sample3.jpg
Thanks to Py'Tom for unearthing a copy of the game itself!

http://www.vanvonhunter.com/uploads/VVH-M_Demo1.zip
Last edited by Voight-Kampff on Mon May 02, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Van Von Hunter Memorial High School

#2 Post by Wright1000 »

Is it a game or is it a video?
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#3 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Unfortunately, the game directory got deleted somewhere along the way. All that's left is this recording of it. I just wanted to get a sense of whether or not anyone would be interested in such a project.

EDIT: Thanks to Py'Tom (who appears to have squirreled away a copy long ago), there is in fact a copy of the game now. Much smaller than the video too, ironically.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Why don't you try installing data-recover software. Who knows the data still could be saved?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#5 Post by Voight-Kampff »

LVUER wrote:Why don't you try installing data-recover software. Who knows the data still could be saved?
PyTom found a copy of the game. It's right here:

http://www.vanvonhunter.com/uploads/VVH-M_Demo1.zip

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#6 Post by Wright1000 »

Your game looks good but downloading and watching the video is a waste of time.

So, please search for the game. Maybe you can find it.

If you find it, upload it as soon as you can.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@Wright1000:

That's a bit rude way. You can't just demand to hurry it up or whatever. What if it would take much more time to find it? You don't really have to say the vid would be a waste of time.

People watch the promotional video first before they think whether to buy a game or not. I think the same goes for here.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#8 Post by SilverxBlue »

Eh? But the game is already there, it isn't a video anymore.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#9 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

I don't have understand what is this.... relics ? lost treasure ? vaporvare ? funnelware ??

let's me understand what is this....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#10 Post by Voight-Kampff »

dott.Piergiorgio wrote:I don't have understand what is this.... relics ? lost treasure ? vaporvare ? funnelware ??

let's me understand what is this....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
A few years ago, we worked on a comic title for Tokyopop. We wanted to show them what that title would look like if it was in Visual Novel format. This game is the result.

It's just a short "proof of concept", that runs about 15 minutes. We have no intention of making any more - unless of course we get a lot of feedback from people stating that they do in fact want to see more. But, I think it's pretty safe to say we won't have to worry about any such obligation.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#11 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

so, it's vaporware ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

dott.Piergiorgio wrote:so, it's vaporware ?
That's not really fair. It was never announced for release, and what was released is all there is. So it's just the release of a proof-of-concept game, like many other people have done in the past.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#13 Post by @berration »

Voight-Kampff wrote:Unfortunately, the game itself appears to have been deleted.
Hmm, you could have checked with me. I'm pretty sure I still have the files for this, and the two previous P.O.C.s as well.

These things were partially just quick, "does VVH have any potential in visual novel format" demos, and part RenPy-learning (and photo-filtering) exercises…and this was the only one that was even close to being fit for human consumption (though not really intended for the public—think of this as more of a "behind the scenes" extra :wink:).

Really, if you want to see something with a lot more work put into it, and a lot closer to completion (though, on the art and technical side, it still has a long way to go), I'd recommend checking into our WIP, Errant Heart. It's not comedy, and it's still very rough, but the current build has two full story arcs, and we'd love to get feedback on the story thus far...before committing to creating all of the sprites, event images, etc.

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#14 Post by number473 »

This is mega-awesome! I'm a huge VVH fan and I know I saw screen shots posted up of this somewhere before and really wanted to see what it was like at the time. Got to download right now.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#15 Post by kara24601 »

Not meaning this in a mean way but - This is obviously not really a completed game so what's it doing in the complete games section of the forums?

I really really hope to see this project truly brought back to life someday and finished....it's interesting and the art is good.