recommended tablet

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

recommended tablet

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I have a genius tablet easy pen i405 and its quite old now(2 years old). It almost seemed like it would be broken anytime soon x~X

So, I plan on getting this soon. It is completely centered around comic-making and illustrations so I'm much more interested to it...

But, i really want to get others' opinions too. What could be your best recommended tablet?

*Ever I posted this to the wrong sections, feel free to move it*
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

Re: recommended tablet

#2 Post by Lotus »

I didn't know that Wacom a tablet called that. That tablet isn't available on the US version of the Wacom site, so if you live in the US you might not be able to get that tablet unless you get it from eBay or something.
(Edit: Oh, I see. It's either just a Pen and Touch or a modified Pen and Touch.
Edit2: Yep, I think it's just a normal Pen and Touch, the Comic part comes in with the programs you get with it. So you might be paying extra for program you may or may not use.)

I've only had one tablet so I can't really tell you what you should get; I personally use a Bamboo Pen, I think it was $59 because my mom got it from a website other than the Wacom site. It didn't come with Photoshop Essentials but I use GIMP and MyPaint so it's all good. I love my tablet to bits <3

Edit: I use a Pen, not a Fun :B I'm such a dork, don't mind me.
Last edited by Lotus on Mon May 02, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#3 Post by Camille »

I've had my Intuos3 for ... almost four, maybe five, years and love it! The Intuos tablets are kind of a big investment, though I love the sensitivity options and such. XD

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

No, don't worry, I live in Japan. I heard that wacom tablets are the best and most recommended so, since i got the opportunity and the money to buy it, I thought should get a new one(my pen right now is really getting on my nerves lately, and its not really compatible with photoshop)

Intuos is just so expensive... I can only go for ¥20,000 yen and below >_>

Besides, its a campaign right now and there are many programs if i bought wacom comic now... still, i want to hear about other tablets to those who were experienced. :D
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#5 Post by Lotus »

Ah, ok. That makes sense :B
Wacoms are definitely awesome. I love my cheap little Wacom Pen xD
I think you'd be getting a Pen and Touch with that campaign, which is similar to the Pen (like what I have) but you can use your fingers in addition to the stylus. I'm not 100% sure on that last bit so don't quote me :B
If you have the money, go for it!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I can't say much since I never meet that kind of Wacom before. My guess that it's exclusive to Japan (since Japan is categorized as different region from Asia-Pasific which is my region). The latest Wacom here is Bamboo Touch.

Seeing that it's quite cheap, I would say it have spec inferior to Wacom Bamboo Fun (which is quite enough for illustration, but still left illustrator wanting more). Understandable though, since it's specialized to make comic, not illustration.

In the end though, it depends on your budget. And please take a look at the specification before buying it (and compare it with other Wacom Bamboo line). Though I could say "You couldn't go wrong with Wacom", but there are different line of Wacom out there, so better careful when choosing it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@lvuer:

Like I said, I'm here in japan so there really isn't any problem in the region.

And nope, its not just centered in just making comic, if you have read until the very end it specializes in comic and illust. I don't really know how to make a comic but it really tickles my curiosity
Last edited by OtomeWeekend on Tue May 03, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#8 Post by LVUER »

I know, but what I'm saying I (and lots of people here) wouldn't know much about Wacom Bamboo Comic since it's probably exclusive to Japan.

Have you take a look at the spec? Don't believe anything Wacom says. Just because they say it could do illustration that doesn't mean it really good at it. How sensitive it is? How about the pen? What software is bundled along with the tablet? And so on.

Anyway, if you think it's good, go ahead and buy one. Perhaps you'll want medium sized one, though it's more expensive. Other than this, I can only recommend Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium or Intuos 4 (but as you already said, Intuos is pretty expensive).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by OtomeWeekend »

actually i wasn't really asking about wacom comic. I was asking for other more recommended tablets since i'm not quite sure if i should get wacom comic.

on the other hand, i took a look at bamboo fun and it was practically very same in their specs 'cept that it's more on illustration(and its much expensive by ¥2000 though it doesn't really make any changes).

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#10 Post by chensterrain »

Actually, the bamboo comic is exactly the same as the bamboo fun (or pen and touch - it wasn't available when I got my bamboo, but from the site you linked it looks like they updated the bamboo comic to match) - I bought a bamboo comic back when I was living in Japan, and the only difference is the software you get with it (which I didn't really use, so no recommendations there, sorry!); mine still says 'bamboo fun' on the back, so yeah.

At any rate, I'd definitely recommend it. I have the medium, and it works fine for both illustration and comic work, though I've no doubt the more expensive models do a lot more in terms of pressure sensitivity and whatnot. I'm guessing the difference in price between the comic and fun is because of the software, as the software you get with the comic is much more geared around comic-making, unsurprisingly. It all depends on what you want to do with it, I guess!

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#11 Post by Snowflower »

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =26&t=8921

I've posted this topic before. This might help.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

I see... so Bamboo Comic is just a marketing strategy from Wacom. With a different name, people will think this is a new product (while it's the very exact same product with different packaging), and with the word "Comic", it's surely will catch new people's attention, smart move ^_^

Well, at least it's cheaper, so why not? Except if you really want to have that Photoshop Elements 5.0 and Corel Painter Essential X that gets bundled with Wacom Bamboo Fun.

DeviantArt Account

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@snowflower:

Thanks! :D

@LVuer:

I'm sorry for this noob question but what could i possibly use those softwares for? (I use Sai, and photoshop)

Nana

#14 Post by Nana »

Wow that's looks pretty cool
but I don't think it's available in Aus so I can't tell if it's good or not

I use the bamboo tablet pen (smallest one) and it works pretty fine
but I've used intruous (i think it was intruous) before and I think it's a lot easier to use
since you're looking at the actual image as you draw on the tablet
Unsuccessful Artist
--- Blog ---> http://nana-o9.xanga.com/
Current Project:
The cow and the pretty red stone
{Sounds weird but it's for my own entertainment ^-^}

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

Do you mean Intuos?

DeviantArt Account