Anatomy and clothing?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Anatomy and clothing?

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

Anyone can help me find a good anatomy and clothing tutorial as a reference? After trying to find most in DA, somehow they weren't detailed... X_X

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

Re: Anatomy and clothing?

#2 Post by RayRayTea »

Have you checked Andrew Loomis' (free) books? His style might look old to some but his lessons are timeless and he's a very good instructor.

Edit:
Here are a few of his books (download complete books):
http://alexhays.com/loomis/
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#3 Post by Pyonkotchi »

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#4 Post by Fawn »

Iconnucrit has a bunch of links to great online art references: http://www.icrit.org/resources.html There's tips for art in general along with anatomy and what not.
The best way to improve is to copy from real life. If you're not comfortable copying yet (I sure wasn't for a long time) start with "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". It'll teach you how to copy and polish up your drawing skills. I'm still studying from it myself.

Edit: My advice for drawing anime, though, is to find types of people you want to portray in your drawings. For example, I want to portray cute girl characters and rugged men characters, so I find reference photos of them to copy. I'm guessing you want to draw hot bishie-like characters (from your previous games) so maybe copy some Asian popstars.
Once you know what they look like in real life, it's super easy to stylize them how you want.
It's hard doing studies, but you gotta just take it slow and have fun :)

Edit (again): One more thing! When you're practicing, take a break to make an original drawing with what you've learned. When you feel tiered or frustrated, take a section of your paper to draw one of your own characters with what you just learned (if you're doing studies of heads, draw the head of your favorite character, if you're studying clothing, draw their clothes) This is not only fun, but will help you see what you need to improve on (make note of what looks weird or what was difficult to draw in your original drawing; then focus on improving in those areas!) it'll help you improve faster.

Sorry for the looonnngg text. I've been doing a lot of studies lately, it's helped me grow so much as an artist, and I'm excited to see you grow too! :D

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OtomeWeekend »

anatomy huh? anatomy eh?

Actually the best way you can improve your anatomy is to learn about real image of the body itself(got myself to love science for this). Looking at real things, studying the skeletal system, muscular, etc.

Well, ONE of those that helped me a lot(even though my anatomy still sucks X_x )
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

redcat
Regular

#6 Post by redcat »

@azure--> I thought medical students learns about anatomy? Things like biceps, triceps, deltoids and what not.
I'm sure you can find more references in your faculty's library...
Meowwngg...??

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#7 Post by Fawn »

@redcat: Those kinds of anatomy books are hard to copy from. They're not designed with an artist in mind. You're not going to need to know every bone and muscle (Unless you've decided to only draw skeletons and people without skin, haha) you just need to know the general shape and how to draw them.

The best thing to do is find an anatomy book for artists. It will teach you how to draw the figure easily and you can reference it often. The one I have is "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist". It's an older book I found at a used book store, it works great!

Also, people will probably give me hell for this but, DON'T USE ANIME OR CARTOON ANATOMY TUTORIALS! Why? Well, in those tutorials, the body is already stylized.
That means that you're not getting any idea of how a real body works, which will only hinder you. Knowing how things work in real life will make your pictures much better, it will be easier for you to draw. And, once you know how something works, you'll be able to stylize it however you want! :D

Sorry for my rants. But while I was gone, I did a bit of realism studies and drawing has become so much easier and more fun. Just want people to know the power they have at their fingertips!

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@Fawn: I bought 可愛い女の子の描けるテクニックBOOK(Drawing cute girls technique book), 描き込み式男の子キャラ(Ways to draw Boys) and 男性キャラが重いどうりに描ける本(Draw boys the way you want them) in our local bookstore with both tutorials in anime style. I did study real anatomy for a bit though. So, I don't really think we shouldn't use anime anatomy tutorials especially if its anime style we are pursuing. Besides, if its real thing you are looking for, what is the use of your good old mirror and yourself reflecting on it? :) many artists use this method.

I don't really recommend those books I said, unless you can read japanese fluently or else, you'd just admire the drawing never knowing the right points and rules to draw it. But yeah, if you can read japanese, a must get! :D
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

redcat
Regular

#9 Post by redcat »

@Otome--> who's the author of those books?
*hoping that there's an english version somewhere...*
Meowwngg...??

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by OtomeWeekend »

^The books where compiled with tutorials and notes by different artists; So you can't actually expect me to post them all here. ^_^

...its also sad to tell you that its probably not translated in english especially that's usually the case...

BTW, I forgot to add that the books include some art of references for clothes, shoes and accessories. So, yeah, maybe for those sakes you can get the books still. :D I dunno if you can order them online though :(

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I agree with Fawn. Anything based on stylised anatomy is a bit of a sham. I have yet to see a single good book on it. It will just get you stuck in a rut. You are much better off looking at real anatomy, both in real life and books. You don't have to memorise the bones and muscles or anything, just start paying attention to what goes where and what does what. I have a good book called 'Anatomy for the Artist' by Sarah Simblet. It is pretty good, provides a good in-depth knowledge, plus has lots of photos of different people in different positions so you can see how they transfer weight and how their muscles show under their skin.

I want to learn more about it so that I can better communicate with my work, even if it is in a mangaesque style.

Nana

#12 Post by Nana »

as cyanide said, the best reference for anatomy is real life poses
don't worry I still struggle as well.
Unsuccessful Artist
--- Blog ---> http://nana-o9.xanga.com/
Current Project:
The cow and the pretty red stone
{Sounds weird but it's for my own entertainment ^-^}