UGH. I need sleep. Crits welcome~

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Mamihlapinatapai

UGH. I need sleep. Crits welcome~

#1 Post by Mamihlapinatapai »

EDIT:

Added another pic a drew a while ago. Teen Link in jeans? Link cosplayer? xD Whatever you make of it I guess.
If you want to color it that is more than okay! I'd be very flattered. :oops:

As for the belt thing that looks like it's in the wrong direction...um, I tried putting it the other way and it didn't look as cool (plus it would be harder to see the...thing on the belt (I don't know what any of these things are called ><) and I love drawing those) so I left it like that. :X ...Let's just assume that there's some cool stuff back there that allows him to wear it like that. :lol: *brik'd*

/EDIT

I'm posting this here because I can't figure out how to attach stuff to PMs. (╬ ಠ益ಠ)

I get really cranky when I'm sleep deprived, sorry. OTL

OTL...zzzZZZZZZ

...Huh, whut?

Oh yeah. I like crits very much.
Attachments
link.png
Tinasa.png
Last edited by Mamihlapinatapai on Mon May 23, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: UGH. I need sleep. Crits welcome~

#2 Post by KomiTsuku »

Good night for you, good morning for me. :wink:

I like it. The coloring job is good and the pose is rather unique. The only thing that strikes me as off is the skirt seems to be blowing back with no indication that the character is moving or presence of wind. Then again, I have no talent at art and I just woke up, so I may be completely out of my mind about the skirt. Overall, solid job.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by HigurashiKira »

Excellent, I like! The knife was a nice touch.
(Also, I'm getting a "Hunger Games" vibe from this, I don't know why...)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

stellacisem
Regular

#4 Post by stellacisem »

well, firstly good job! The shadowing, coloring, drawing, everything looks perfect. Bravoo! :D *cheers*
secondly, are you going to use this for any game?
and lastly, have a good rest XD
I waited for [more than] ten years, eleven months, thirty days, 12 hours and 26 minutes. then i finally had to admit i wasn't getting an acceptance letter from Hogwarts.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

A lot of things are going well in this picture, but some aren't. Crit time!

The shading is a bit sloppy, specially on the skirt and the hair. Instead of using smaller, soft brushes with high pen-pressure settings, (I'm assuming you use Sai), use a larger harder brush with less pressure settings to block out the colors on clothes and skin.

Hair shading is a bit different, you need to think about the strands of hair that are hit by the lightsource. Also, remember where the part of the hair is, since that's where a lot of your shading lines may originate from.

Also your eyelashes seem clumped, this is easily fixed. Think of them in perspective from which way you'd be looking at her, how her eyelashes would look.

Here's some (super sloppy, sorry ^__^;) examples of what I mean:
datcritique.png
I'm still a learning artist myself, so I most likely did a few things wrong. But, what I do know is that blocking out your colors saves a lot of time and looks smoother. :D

Mamihlapinatapai

#6 Post by Mamihlapinatapai »

KomiTsuku wrote:Good night for you, good morning for me. :wink:

I like it. The coloring job is good and the pose is rather unique. The only thing that strikes me as off is the skirt seems to be blowing back with no indication that the character is moving or presence of wind. Then again, I have no talent at art and I just woke up, so I may be completely out of my mind about the skirt. Overall, solid job.
Ah yes. >< This is my very bad habit. I always make long skirts flow in one direction (usually away from the direction the character is facing) or another whether there is wind or not. It's more dramatic? :P

Anyway, you're right, it doesn't make much sense so I'll change it.
stellacisem wrote:well, firstly good job! The shadowing, coloring, drawing, everything looks perfect. Bravoo! :D *cheers*
secondly, are you going to use this for any game?
and lastly, have a good rest XD
*facepalm* I forgot to mention that this is for HigurashiKira's game, Mini-Death Rule: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10256

Please play the demo and give him some feedback. :3
Fawn wrote:A lot of things are going well in this picture, but some aren't. Crit time!

The shading is a bit sloppy, specially on the skirt and the hair. Instead of using smaller, soft brushes with high pen-pressure settings, (I'm assuming you use Sai), use a larger harder brush with less pressure settings to block out the colors on clothes and skin.

Hair shading is a bit different, you need to think about the strands of hair that are hit by the lightsource. Also, remember where the part of the hair is, since that's where a lot of your shading lines may originate from.

Also your eyelashes seem clumped, this is easily fixed. Think of them in perspective from which way you'd be looking at her, how her eyelashes would look.

Here's some (super sloppy, sorry ^__^;) examples of what I mean:
datcritique.png
I'm still a learning artist myself, so I most likely did a few things wrong. But, what I do know is that blocking out your colors saves a lot of time and looks smoother. :D
Wow! Great crit, I love you already.

Actually, I use Photoshop. I have no idea how to set pen pressure settings. ^_^; But I guess now I know that they are "too high"? I'll google how to lower them.

Ah, thank you for pointing out where her part is. I never even thought about it. xD I admit I got lazy there.

Okay, I'll fix the lashes. This is good advice! I don't really know much about girl's make up or eyelashes. With males I don't draw them, haha.

Usually I'm too lazy in general to color anything; I have a million linearts. xP So I appreciate any crits on my coloring as I know I don't have much experience with it.
HigurashiKira wrote:Excellent, I like! The knife was a nice touch.
(Also, I'm getting a "Hunger Games" vibe from this, I don't know why...)
Thanks! I'm glad you like! If you want me to make changes, tell me soon before I slip into my mental La-Z-boy. :lol:

I must google Hunger Games and find out. :o

I'll take all of your advice into consideration and post a fixed pic as soon as I get it done.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#7 Post by Elze »

Ehh. Personally, I think the shading's fine. C: It's more of a matter of personal preference and style, I think. Same goes for the lashes. If we want to nitpick, I guess the only minor issue will be that two of the folds on the skirt appear to be much brighter than the rest, but I think overall it looks fine.

& I don't think her hair parts where the highlights are. The parting line should be where the fringe splits in the front. Those two strands sticking out behind are probably just stray strands at the back. Just my two cents.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by HigurashiKira »

Mamihlapinatapai wrote:Thanks! I'm glad you like! If you want me to make changes, tell me soon before I slip into my mental La-Z-boy. :lol:

I must google Hunger Games and find out. :o

I'll take all of your advice into consideration and post a fixed pic as soon as I get it done.
No, it's great as it is right now, I really like how it turned out! :D

Prepare for more bloodshed if you do.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#9 Post by Fawn »

Sorry to nitpick more, Elze, but, I want to show you what I meant with the critique :)
Elze wrote:Ehh. Personally, I think the shading's fine. C: It's more of a matter of personal preference and style, I think. Same goes for the lashes.
From the front, eyelashes might look like that, however, in general pretty curly eyelashes like the ones she most likely wants to portray look like this when at an angle:
http://theeyelashgrowthcenter.com/image ... growth.jpg
Elze wrote: & I don't think her hair parts where the highlights are. The parting line should be where the fringe splits in the front. Those two strands sticking out behind are probably just stray strands at the back. Just my two cents.
It depends on the hairstyle and the light source. Her light source is from the right, and that's where she highlighted it from. Consider the following pictures (moar from google);

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/S ... ircuts.jpg <- This hair has lighting from the top, which gives it that highlighted "ring" look.

http://static.becomegorgeous.com/img/ar ... hairrr.jpg this is the closest I could find to the lightsource of Mamihlapinatapai's drawing. Notice that one light source comes from the side, highlighting the part.

http://fash4girls.com/wp-content/upload ... school.jpg In a more extreme example, this hair doesn't have a "ring" light source at all.

That being said, I think I did shade it incorrectly, looking back. ;_; The part seems to be on the far left and not visible, I was wrong to draw it there. (Like I said, still learning haha)

Elze
Veteran

#10 Post by Elze »

Fawn wrote:It depends on the hairstyle and the light source. Her light source is from the right, and that's where she highlighted it from.
Ehh. I think you misinterpreted what I said. I wasn't commenting about the lighting. I was talking about the PARTING of the hair. I meant to say that her hair shouldn't be parting at where she had chosen to paint the highlights. Which was where you chose to part the hair. Parting should either be right in the middle of your head, or to the side branching from where your fringe part. The parting that you drew for her head just looks really awkward and doesn't seem to stem from anywhere.

As for the lashes, I get what you mean about a more naturalistic look, but I personally think it's really more of a stylistic issue than an anatomical problem. It's like thinner eyebrows and thicker ones. When I don't curl my lashes with mascara, they appear more straightish anyway. I tend to draw curly eyelashes on my characters *looks at avatar* but this doesn't mean everyone has to do it the same way. If you get what I mean. D:

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#11 Post by Fawn »

I mentioned at the end that I did put the part in the wrong place, I was confused by the little whisps of hair in the back.

Still going to argue for the anatomical correctness here, though yeah, if it's the style I guess that's okay. But even when not curled, lashes are quite curly! Consider this picture of a child's lashes: (I think it's a little boy, not sure) http://articles.mercola.com/imageserver ... lashes.jpg and even a man's lashes: http://thisitalianfamily.files.wordpres ... opher2.jpg no makeup needed. :) Knowing realism can enhance any style, as well, so it wouldn't be a bad thing if she tried it out. I'm not trying to make everyone draw like me, because frankly I am not a very good artist, I just want to share my knowledge so maybe other people can do even better on their art.

Elze
Veteran

#12 Post by Elze »

Ya, I was just confused by all the links you put in there about light sources, because I never said anything about lighting.
I wrote this: "& I don't think her hair parts where the highlights are"
Which I think you misread as this: "I don't think her highlights should be placed at where her hair parts".
Hence the confusion.

As for the lashes, her lashes are actually slightly curled. Just not reaaally curly like how shoujo mangakas tend to draw them. I think the deal with lashes is that it depends on your ethnicity as well. When I look at my own, they're almost completely straight when uncurled. Because I'm chinese. Here's a pic I googled for asian lashes: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eVrZDEzXWf4/T ... 0/1192.jpg
So.. it really just depends.

& nah I wasn't saying that you want to make everyone draw like you. It's just that sometimes we get so used to drawing a certain way, that we start thinking that people are doing it wrongly when they do it differently. But different doesn't always necessarily mean bad or wrong. It's just different. *shrugs*

Edit: btw, I think we've accidentally derailed off topic. D: Sorry, OP! Fawn, I hope you don't mind if I reply to you via pm if you post any replies hereafter. C: -scoots off thread-

Mamihlapinatapai

#13 Post by Mamihlapinatapai »

Oh. I was busy fixing the pic and doing my job so I didn't see all the new posts.

Actually, for the part, I decided to use both of your suggestions. :-3 Now it's like a diagonal part.
I hope that's okay. @_@ I'm not a hairdresser.

About the lashes, as Elze stated, it's not my style to make each strand stand out like Fawn did in the correction but I did erase them and made the space between them more uniform. This way it looks less "clumped together".

I'm still a little unsure about them though, when zoomed in it looks ok, but when I zoomed out, I realized that the space between them becomes less noticeable and it might still look "clumped together". I'm thinking that maybe I should draw less lash lines.

I also got rid of the invisible wind in her skirt. xD Skirts are definitely not my favorite article of clothing to draw. :/

I realized that I wasn't using pen pressure at all. o,o I turned that on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have this problem. Photoshop always changes the colors of all the pictures I do when I save them in an image format. :(

It always comes out with less saturated colors. I tried to google a solution and tinker with settings but have had no luck so far.

I tried to remedy this by flattening all the layers and raising the saturation. So now it looks a little more like it does while I'm working on it in Photoshop.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#14 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yes, using pen pressure will help you a lot :D

As for the colour, make sure the mode is set to RGB and not CYMK if you are trying to upload it online. What format are you saving it in? It really shouldn't be changing colour.

Arcanum
Veteran

#15 Post by Arcanum »

I know what is happening with the color- it's an issue with color profiles. Do you, per chance, use a Mac?
Anyway, here's the solution for your problem:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2007/ ... fting_bac/