What do you think of a game been both BxG or BxB ??

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Loveli
Regular

What do you think of a game been both BxG or BxB ??

#1 Post by Loveli »

So... Well I'm "Working" on my mystery VN and it will have a male main character. Because as strange as it sounds... I find too little male main characters here... So I thought making mine male. I still have some little dumps about some little details in the story, one of them been this:

The main idea is to solve the crime but the MC also have possible love interests, you can make him end up whit one of them or end up alone.

The question is this: There are 3 other male characters and 4 female characters. I was thinking about... Well making ALL of them possible love interests. At first I wasn't gonna do it, but then I got so many great ideas for the 3 male characters route that I really wanna go whit that! Now the question is...

Would you be ok whit it? If you don't like BL you can just reject them if it happens that they like you and you well... don't, when you reject them you will get another end. Also the 3 males routes are WAY harder to get then dose of the 4 females. So well what do you think about it?

The main character is male, you can end up whit a girl or a boy OR you can end up whit no one and still get a good end.

Plis tell me your opinions on the matter! I would really like to hear them!! :D
Att: Loveli
PS: Sorry for my horrible grammar... My main language is spanish.
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: What do you think of a game been both BxG or BxB ??

#2 Post by papillon »

The problem with questions like this is that you're guaranteed to get responses consisting of the whole spectrum - people loving it, people okay with it, people not okay with it, people hating it, people who don't care, and people who REALLY don't care and can't be bothered to even post. :) And the responses you'll get don't necessarily correspond to the actual breakdown of real players, either.

Do what you want. Some people will like it and some won't.

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#3 Post by Ionait »

Most games nowadays have options for the player to pursue both same sex and different sex relationships. The thing is, if you're not interested in a certain gender, you just play the game ignoring the romantic options for that gender.
It's not something most gamers even bat an eye at anymore. For instance, my husband is a huge Bioware fan who plays Mass Effect (series) and Dragon Age (series). He's never had a problem rejecting the guys. Once, one of the characters grew quite attracted to him but when the strange options appeared, he just chuckled at the romantic ones and picked a rejection answer.

Though opinions on the subject differ, the mere possibility of BL, shouldn't cause players never to pick up your game, or quit it entirely when they realize the option is there. As long as the game isn't BL only or BL forced, it should be generally accepted.

Also, I noticed you said the male paths are more difficult than the female paths. Are the female stories much less interesting? It might deter players from picking up your game if it feels like the female paths are tacked on.

Loveli
Regular

#4 Post by Loveli »

Ionait wrote: Also, I noticed you said the male paths are more difficult than the female paths. Are the female stories much less interesting? It might deter players from picking up your game if it feels like the female paths are tacked on.
No, they are not more interesting, they are just harder to get. The female paths are easier because like I said the main character is male and the story is set in an "other dimension/AU" and has a little of the 1920's "Privet Detective" feeling whit a few twists. But the general idea about homosexuality is that it's wrong, since it's not accepted the BL paths are kind of tricky. Like if you don't chose carefully you will easily end up whit another character.

You see in this VN it's like you have a "list" of things you have to do in order to open a certain path and by doing some of them you will open it (even if you didn't do all) But when you open a path you can still open the other. So you can have more then one path at the same time and have scenes from all the paths you have opened but at the end you get to chose witch one you will go whit depending on the choices you made in that path then you get a good, normal, bad or even an alone ending. If you made bad choices during a certain character's path and then chose that you want to end the game whit that character it may happen that they will reject you and then you will have to choose some one else or end alone. This can happen whit every character! Both male and female.

Taking the setting into point is more difficult for male characters to accept you. But it isn't really that easy for females to accept you also... Male characters are less opened about their feeling towards the protagonist that's what makes it more difficult. But truly all characters have their things... For example
one of the female characters starts the game having a fiance! If you do things right she realizes she loves you more and ends up leaving him for been with you. Then there is a male character that if you don't do something specific he dies! And so on...
So really it's harder but not necessarily more interesting. But any way I will try hard for them to be all very interesting so that no character is "boring" :D Thanks for the opinion and advice!!
Hope this helped you understand more about the game. Any questions feel free to ask.
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#5 Post by Ionait »

Your game sounds great! Since you've made both genders so interesting and worthwhile to pursue, I don't think many people, if any, will have a problem with the BL choice. If they don't want to do BL, they have plenty of girls to pursue that are also very exciting it sounds like. So that's great!

I'll keep an eye out for your game. Sounds right up my alley!

Loveli
Regular

#6 Post by Loveli »

Ionait wrote:Your game sounds great! Since you've made both genders so interesting and worthwhile to pursue, I don't think many people, if any, will have a problem with the BL choice. If they don't want to do BL, they have plenty of girls to pursue that are also very exciting it sounds like. So that's great!

I'll keep an eye out for your game. Sounds right up my alley!
:D Thanks I'm really happy!! This game is part of my science project so I have to get a demo done for the science fair, when the demo is done I really hope you will play it! :D (I say the demo because the full game will probably take more time because there are still some paths that are at 0% and like I said my paths are kinda tricky)
When I'm near to having the demo done I will post it on the works in progress section. Hope to see you there :D
And again thanks for you opinion it helped me making up my mind :D So thanks a lot really!

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#7 Post by HikkiPanda »

I don't have a problem with both BxG or BxB. That way everyone will happy :D (well, everyone .. except for some immature BxB haters, but don't mind them XD, people should learn to be open minded, it help us create a better society)

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#8 Post by pondrthis »

As a male firm in my (hetero)sexuality, I don't mind BxB at all, but I can't identify with a character who gets hit on by every guy he knows. Situations where a long-term friend comes out to you (and you accept!?), maybe I can see, but having multiple gay people hitting on me when I'm not playing an openly gay/bi character isn't very kosher from a realism perspective. In fact, that would probably be seen as offensively nodding to the stereotypes of homosexuals being hypersexual.

Also, bisexuality is gross to me, so I'd want to be able to play it from the beginning as someone who is gay or straight (or maybe confused, but not actively bisexual).

Loveli
Regular

#9 Post by Loveli »

pondrthis wrote:As a male firm in my (hetero)sexuality, I don't mind BxB at all, but I can't identify with a character who gets hit on by every guy he knows. Situations where a long-term friend comes out to you (and you accept!?), maybe I can see, but having multiple gay people hitting on me when I'm not playing an openly gay/bi character isn't very kosher from a realism perspective. In fact, that would probably be seen as offensively nodding to the stereotypes of homosexuals being hypersexual.

Also, bisexuality is gross to me, so I'd want to be able to play it from the beginning as someone who is gay or straight (or maybe confused, but not actively bisexual).
Like I mentioned before the male possible love interests are NOT even gay at the start of the game... This game is not set on the present time and it's also in an alternated universe so dealing whit homosexuality is pretty different. So I think the "getting hit on" won't be a problem... The male paths all start more like been a friendship and romantic feelings would only develop upon making certain (mostly obvious) choices.

The character doesn't state at any moment his sexual preference, so you can see it however you want. Also in this game I'm making you can reject any character that confesses to you, for any reason really... So the way the main character is on that matter depends entirely on the way you want to play it. You could be a loner not interested in romantic relationships and simply reject everyone! Or you can be a womanizer and flirt whit all of the girls. So really his sexual preferences and approach to romance it's really just what you make it...

Any question feel free to ask...

Clinity
Projects: Unmasqued

#10 Post by Clinity »

I am currently playing Shira Oka: Second Chances, and am on my third cycle after dying once, and then getting Suzu's ending while trying for Kazuki's. It seems like the male options are more difficult in that game as well, although its plot has nothing to do with your game. I am merely using it for comparison purposes.

I'd be interested in playing your game, because while I was on Suzu's path in Shira Oka, I found it very interesting despite the fact that I wasn't aiming for her in the first place. While I prefer playing BL and otome games, BxG does not turn me off if the storyline is well-deployed (and not just a smutty hentai game).

I say go for it, seeing as the players can choose who to go after and completely ignore characters that they aren't interested in. It's completely up to you, as the creator. I'm actually making a game right now that I hope to cater to all avenues (BxG, otome, BL and GxG), so I'd be very interested in seeing what yours is like.
Current Projects
Unmasqued: My first visual novel. Will more than likely feature a mixture of regular, BL and otome qualities.
Purchasing a Blue Yeti microphone in order to start delving into voiceover work.

Loveli
Regular

#11 Post by Loveli »

Clinity wrote: I'm actually making a game right now that I hope to cater to all avenues (BxG, otome, BL and GxG), so I'd be very interested in seeing what yours is like.
That's good to know! I think is good letting the player pick what they prefer! I like been as "free" as possible xD So... I will do my best! And I hope you do too! I'll be waiting for your game too so I can play it! Wish you the best of luck whit it :D

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#12 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Loveli wrote:So... Well I'm "Working" on my mystery VN and it will have a male main character. Because as strange as it sounds... I find too little male main characters here... So I thought making mine male. I still have some little dumps about some little details in the story, one of them been this:

The main idea is to solve the crime but the MC also have possible love interests, you can make him end up whit one of them or end up alone.

The question is this: There are 3 other male characters and 4 female characters. I was thinking about... Well making ALL of them possible love interests.
Please, please do this. There are not enough games that allow for this.

I am of the serious and reasoned opinion that anyone who doesn't like a same-sex romance path or objects on moral homophobic grounds should go for a female romance path.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Loveli
Regular

#13 Post by Loveli »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:
Please, please do this. There are not enough games that allow for this.

I am of the serious and reasoned opinion that anyone who doesn't like a same-sex romance path or objects on moral homophobic grounds should go for a female romance path.
I'm glad that you like the idea! Well true be toll I already decided to go whit it! So really it will be that way! 2 available male characters, 4 female characters and 1 "secret" male character. I already decided on all the details and am working full on it. I think of putting it up on the works in process forum around a month or so from now. Hope to see you there! And hope you play my game when I finish it too :D