[WIP] Revenance: The Blue-Eyed Demon [RPG]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
10kNing
Regular
Projects: Revenance (RPG), Mad-Love (GxB, on hold)

[WIP] Revenance: The Blue-Eyed Demon [RPG]

#1 Post by 10kNing »

Hello! This would be my first visual novel made with Ren'Py, I guess. I actually finished about a third of the writing/coding for another one but discovered not one, but two visual novels with the same premise, so here's to hoping this one will be more interesting! I'm planning on five to six chapters and minor optional GxB elements, along with nine recruitable characters (though only three can be recruited per playthrough). A majority of the menus in the first chapter are timed, including the very first choice, but I'm sure that won't be a big problem. Thirty seconds is plenty of time when there's only one option.

Plot
It was the demons who massacred the small island nation of Lihe ten years ago. That's what everyone says, but Riliang, one of the few survivors of the ordeal, holds firmly to her belief that it was only one. It was one single demon who came to Lihe, and it was one single demon who murdered her parents. Now sixteen she has already accepted that her family will never come back, and she lives peacefully with a couple in the Tianli Republic, until one day she spots familiar blue eyes, and the hatred rises back up.

You, the player, control the voice inside her head.

Characters

Riliang: The main protagonist. Her weapon of choice is a bayonet, despite having large potential for magic. Impatient, no sense of direction, and quick to charge recklessly at any enemy, she relies heavily on her mage friend Xiaoshan for support when they go training. Once Riliang leaves the island, the two do not meet again until the last chapter.

Anton: A student at one of the top universities in Jaleria, he is gifted with the sword. He would make a wonderful Renaissance man if he had just one humble bone in his body. Despite his eccentric behavior and somewhat comedic rivalry with Cecil, he's fairly popular in the university. If Riliang asks for help, he'll give it to her with no ulterior motives whatsoever.
With some nudging from the player and a good personality, Riliang and Anton could fall in love.

Cecil: A student at one of the top universities in Jaleria, he is a prodigy at the staff. He is normally formal and apologetic, but being placed in the same room as Anton brings nothing but trouble. Cecil spends most of his time at the local library and speaks all three official languages of Jaleria fluently. He's more than happy to assist Riliang if she asks.
With some nudging from the player and a good personality, Riliang and Cecil could fall in love.

Jaime: A Jalerian student. He has no strong magical potential or strong muscles, but makes up for it with speed and a flexible arsenal of magic-charged cards. Also one of the rudest people Riliang has ever met. He does nothing to hide his disdain for her Cecil and Anton and the Julish-Meravian War. This does not in any way stop him from helping her if she asks. Mostly.
With some nudging from the player and a good personality, Riliang and Jaime could fall in love.

Rhyme: The younger half of the Green-Haired Twins, Rhyme's forte is entertainment. She's the number one singer in Delta, but ask anyone on the street and they'll tell you it's more because of her family than her talent. Rhyme acts half her age, so it's hard to tell whether she doesn't know or doesn't care. Unlike her brother, Rhyme has no weapon, but her songs and dances can become magical, a rare gift in her country.

Rhythm: The older half of the Green-Haired Twins, Rhythm is very business-savvy for someone so young. He acts practically twice his age in an effort to compensate for his sister and to get others to take him seriously, but considering his family background, no one would underestimate him anyhow. Rhythm's weapon is very straightforward: a gun. Hypothetically, he would be able to use magic, but he doesn't want to.
With some nudging from the player and a good personality, Riliang and Rhythm could fall in love.

Bismuth: Rhythm's assistant. He takes his job quite seriously. Like his employer, his weapon is a gun, but Bismuth is much more focused on a good defense. You could talk to him for hours and never learn a thing about him, and this makes Riliang a tiny bit uneasy, but he's more familiar with the outside world than the twins are, so he is a good source of information during the third chapter.

Shui: She wields powerful elemental magic, but that drains her health quite quickly, so she prefers healing spells. Hesitant to trust foreigners, but gets along with Riliang well enough, seeing her as an older sister figure. Shui's relations to her actual family could get better, but she accepts that her status as the princess of the Ju Empire is more important than her status as a daughter.
Shui and Cecil get along swimmingly if they are in the party together.

Valeria: The ambassador of Jaleria, she dual-wields swords and has basic control over magic. She is strong, strong-willed, but sadly makes Riliang look like a homing pigeon. Fiercely protective of those she sees as weaker, but a little too independent for her own good. Because of this, she's not exactly well-liked amongst her peers, but it isn't as if she cares or anything.
If they're in the same party, Valeria and Anton mesh quite nicely.

Yin: Saves her powerful offensive magic for her strongest enemies, prefers knives in regular combat. Will do anything to overthrow the Ju Empire's monarchy. She has good intentions and good friends and cares deeply about the people who are even less fortunate than she is, but that can be easily clouded by her volatile personality and haughty way of speaking.
If she and Jaime meet, they absolutely not get along at all, honestly, truly, without lies, just ask either of them, really.

Demon: I can't tell you; that'd bring spoilers.

You (name and gender changeable): That would bring even more spoilers.

Progress
Story: 95%
Script: Chapter One and Chapter Two under revision
Sprites: 0%
CGs: 0%
BGs: 0%

7/16/11 Edit- Xiaoshen's name changed to Xiaoshan. As it turns out, I've been pronouncing "mountain" incorrectly my entire life. Yes.
11/5/11 Edit - All graphics are now the responsibility of the author herself. There's no way this can go wrong~!
12/4/11 Edit - Rhyme and Rhythm have different profiles now! Two different people are two people, shockerrrr
Last edited by 10kNing on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Revenance: The Blue-Eyed Demon [RPG, optional GxB]

#2 Post by Snow Blossom »

Wow this sounds very nice, and the logo is pretty *A* Not to mention I'm a sucker for green hair and twins XD
I'll be stalking this 8)

mcandy
Regular
Projects: ~Lucky~ (GxB)

#3 Post by mcandy »

Hehe I love stories with demons ;)
Hope you finish soon! (but no rush!!)
Working On VN Projects!
Check them out!
~Lucky~ (GxB) - Romance, Mystery, Comedy, Slice of life, School
Who is He?!(GxB) - Romance, mystery, comedy, school

MY DEVIANTART PROF!
Click here~!-You can view all of my artworks here :3

GlassHeart
Regular
Completed: Hand in hand with destiny, Out of Sight, Summer Found Me (Again), Signed X, Trapped
itch: https://selavi.itch.

#4 Post by GlassHeart »

Oooh, I love fantasy stories and rpgs! The characters seem interesting, I could picture them in my head as I read their descriptions.
If your gender is changeble does that mean BxB? Or does it mean you can romance the girls? I'm just curious, I intend to play as a girl :D

Good luck with it!
Image Image

10kNing
Regular

#5 Post by 10kNing »

Thank you, everyone~!

The player's gender is changeable, but Riliang's is not, so sadly BxG/BxB is not an option, interesting as it might be to attempt a romance while already sharing a body with someone of the opposite gender. Very interesting. I was actually thinking of having the player switch to Xiaoshen later in the game if they're male, but then decided it was too ambitious for something that already had ten characters, six nations (four of which you explore), and levelling up.
/ramble So, yeah.
I'll do my best!
Not to say that there is no BxG, though I'm not sure if that's the right word for it. If you play as a male voice-in-head, there is no stopping a certain woman's undying love for you. Ever.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#6 Post by Aleema »

I read the title as "revenge of the blue-eyed demon!!!" and then saw the logo and was o_O whaaaa. Now I see that it's revenance, though I'm not sure what that means? Okay, I googled it; "a return after a long absence." Never knew that, learned something new!

Hurray for female protagonist RPGs (and double hurray for potential GxB within them)!

What is the world of this? The chars have guns, so is it modern day? Although the term "bayonet" did give me flashbacks to the Civil War, stabbin' people with their muskets.

10kNing
Regular

#7 Post by 10kNing »

Anachronism, anachronism everywhere~
... I mean, -cough cough- ... ... ... Yeah, anachronism everywhere~

Well, Delta and Meraphi are modern, but the former is ridiculously isolationist and the latter isn't willing to share either since it's kind of at war. Lihe Island made it up to the 20's before it went kaput, and Tianli and Ju are based on Ancient China. Those two are more dependent on magic: There's no need for guns there when an Acute spell can do the same damage. Riliang weilds a bayonet more because of sentimentality than anything else, basically, though she does use magic occasionally for things like turning her weaponry invisible to get it past borders so she isn't arrested by the police for carrying around a bayonet on a quest to kill someone wow that was a long run-on sentence.
And the swords are 20% cooler also a matter of preference~
so much exposition i'm sorry
I hope the game is enjoyable when I'm finished!

10kNing
Regular

#8 Post by 10kNing »

As it turns out, being stuck without internet for five days does wonders to my work ethic.

Updated the logo, criticism would be appreciated! A designer, I am not. The second chapter is also becoming longer than originally intended, but that's not entirely a bad thing. The battle system is going smoothly as well, mostly. Huzzah!

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#9 Post by EzzyAlpha »

This looks so awesome. The logo isn't showing up though.

Signusorion
Projects: Fugue[BxG] [Fantasy]

Re: [WIP] Revenance: The Blue-Eyed Demon [RPG]

#10 Post by Signusorion »

I am no longer in charge of the graphics, however I do have a few sketches of some of the characters. I might be posting additional pictures later, but it will not be guaranteed that the designs will stay the same.

The main character Riliang:
riliang.png
I drew the flies as a joke because she's a peasant, and I asked 10kNing if she took baths. Strictly as a joke.

Cecil:
CECILl.png
I drew this much earlier so he looks kind of weird compared to the others.

Rhyme:
rhyme.png
I started drawing her thinking she would be a child. Then 10kNing told me she's supposed to be 20- something. WHOOPS. xD

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by 15385bic »

looks interesting. I'm a sucker for demons etc too XD
the logo looks ok - but kinda wish the flower part was more vector-ish? it looks too grainy compared to the letters
the sprites look CUTE =D
kinda wish they look older though.

10kNing
Regular

#12 Post by 10kNing »

Thank you~! Mmhm, looking back, the logo wasn't as smooth-looking as in my head sooo that's why I was a little hesitant to take up the graphics myself. ^^; Many thanks to signusorion! 'll do my best! Any advice on how to make them look older? Thanks~

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by 15385bic »

10kNing wrote:Thank you~! Mmhm, looking back, the logo wasn't as smooth-looking as in my head sooo that's why I was a little hesitant to take up the graphics myself. ^^; Many thanks to signusorion! 'll do my best! Any advice on how to make them look older? Thanks~
I say vector the flower - there are plenty of people who can vector
otherwise here's a crappy flower vector
seriously - i suck at vectoring
seriously - i suck at vectoring
logocut.png (39.28 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
ad if u want the characters looking older - Stretch them out and shrink the heads/eyes XD (with anime - thats how it works ^^')

eg (using the liquify tool only -in photoshop)
before and after liqyuify - looks like an age progression^^'
before and after liqyuify - looks like an age progression^^'
the glasses made it harder to liquify - but u should still see a difference
the glasses made it harder to liquify - but u should still see a difference
emphasise her curves --> makes her look more womanly?
emphasise her curves --> makes her look more womanly?
<-- probably would also help if she didnt have pigtails

sorry Signusorion that i edited ur pic DX
I'm just trying to give the idea of making them look older
Ur pics are really cute! they really are

10kNing
Regular

#14 Post by 10kNing »

Aaa so cool~! Thank you! Seeing as 'll be trying to do the graphics by myself now, this was really useful! Gonna ask for Photoshop for Christmas, then, and thanks again!

Signusorion
Projects: Fugue[BxG] [Fantasy]

#15 Post by Signusorion »

Pff, it's okay that you edited my drawings. xD I really like how Rhyme turned out though. She actually looks like a woman, like she's supposed to. Phew. But yeah, I was just putting out the designs since 10kNing was busy focusing on the story itself. She really likes world-building.