TakeOverWorld's Art thingy (uh, critique please?)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
TakeOverWorld
Regular

TakeOverWorld's Art thingy (uh, critique please?)

#1 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Hello :)
Okay, so I'm not the best at drawing backgrounds. I'm just about better than the worst. But I decided, you know, practice makes perfect, so I decided to draw some I might use for a future VN I might make.
bunney base.jpg
That's the (very rough) sketch I'm using to colour in the background... It's meant to be a giant statue of a (very stylized) bunny, viewed from below, then I thought it might look bare, so I added trees.
bunney background.jpg
.... And that's how far I've gotten at the moment, doing that tree. I've been using tutorials found on DeviantArt to do the tree... But, ah, it looks a bit weird.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

Re: TakeOverWorld's Art thingy (uh, critique please?)

#2 Post by Hayzel »

the sky looks real O.O When I first looked at it I thought it was a picture !!! That's pretty amazing :D

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

Are you using Photoshop clouds? Because I honestly don't recommend that if you're going to CG everything else. Still I do like the blue/blue gray gradient you've got going there, it's pretty atmospheric.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#4 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Yeah, I am using photoshop clouds. Thanks for the advice, I'll find another way to do the clouds :)

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#5 Post by TakeOverWorld »

So I tried another way of doing the clouds..... I think it came out alright, bearing in mind theres going to be a statue thingy in the middle of the picture anyways.
bunny concept bg copy.jpg
These are also some character sketches I drew yesterday. The woman on the left is meant to be slightly muscular... or stocky, or something.
chara1.jpg

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#6 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Sorta triple post now :/

Eitherways, her's a pic. It's the MC of a VN I'm working on. It'd be the side image when I make it smaller. I think the head's a tad too big, though.
iona normal.png

Abeiramar
Regular

#7 Post by Abeiramar »

TakeOverWorld wrote:So I tried another way of doing the clouds..... I think it came out alright, bearing in mind theres going to be a statue thingy in the middle of the picture anyways.
bunny concept bg copy.jpg
These are also some character sketches I drew yesterday. The woman on the left is meant to be slightly muscular... or stocky, or something.
chara1.jpg
The sky looks much better, however the tree looks very strange. Tree branches are more like this:
--------------
Your characters are looking very thin here :( .
TakeOverWorld wrote:Sorta triple post now :/

Eitherways, her's a pic. It's the MC of a VN I'm working on. It'd be the side image when I make it smaller. I think the head's a tad too big, though.
iona normal.png

Good work! The shading of her hair is excellent :D !! I think your color choice is great.
My advice is to add a stronger shading to the eyes and white dots to make them shine! (Eyes are shiny~)

Triple post? Well, this forum is getting kinda dead, maybe because it's summer...

KuruKuru

#8 Post by KuruKuru »

I really like how the clouds turned out in the second picture.
It seems to go along with the feel of your characters and the sketches better then the first, and gives a gentler feel to the picture.
Plus, the coloring of your character is good.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#9 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Thanks for the responses :)
The sky looks much better, however the tree looks very strange. Tree branches are more like this:
Yeah, I thought the tree looked strange but I've decided to re plan the background anyways, as it doesn't look good with a sprite in front of it.
Your characters are looking very thin here .
Ah, whenever I draw people, they always end up on the skinny side, even when I attempt to draw people slightly more stocky :(.
Good work! The shading of her hair is excellent !! I think your color choice is great.
My advice is to add a stronger shading to the eyes and white dots to make them shine! (Eyes are shiny~)
Thank you :D I'll do that next time - I find it hard to shade eyes, because I don't really have my own way to do it at the moment.
I really like how the clouds turned out in the second picture.
It seems to go along with the feel of your characters and the sketches better then the first, and gives a gentler feel to the picture.
Plus, the coloring of your character is good.
Thank you :)