different art styles on same game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

different art styles on same game

#1 Post by jack_norton »

I usually try to have an artist do ALL the art of my games. It's ok to split characters and backgrounds, since in most cases people skilled with characters have hard time doing backgrounds and vice versa.
HOWEVER, sometimes I find myself in a situation where people request me a sequel/expansion of an "old" game (old means 1 year or more!) and quite often the original artist either disappeared or doesn't offer commission anymore.

I did this for the upcoming GxG expansion to my game Spirited Heart's Girl Love, and I am wondering if I could do the same for Heileen 3. I've been asked for a 3rd chapter, and to be honest I have already in mind the story and gameplay (I'd like to mix it with some adventure/simulation gameplay again and I think could be interesting). However, the original artist Rebecca Gunter is too busy with webcomics commission. I managed to have her redraw a new title screen (see sketch below) and new pirate outfits for some characters, I now I'm in a situation where the ending CGs should be drawn by another person :?

For Spirited Heart, while the new style is different (and much better) it's not "too different", but Rebecca art style was quite unique (I remember lot of people said that it was very distinctive from other manga games) so would be impossible to find anyone even vaguely similar.

I'm wondering if people would mind, not care at all as long as the game is good, or be annoyed/pissed off when they reach the end and see a CG with a very different art-style? :mrgreen:

follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

Re: different art styles on same game

#2 Post by Mirage »

I thought that Planet Strong Hold artist style is rather similar to Rebecca's. If not, other alternatives I can think of is ask a different artist to emulate Rebecca's style.

I personally prefer consistency is art, but I think as long as the differences aren't that much, it should be good enough to fool most people.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks... personally I find the difference in art between the old and new character in Spirited Heart's Girl Love too much, but before doing it I asked lot of people and they were all enthusiast... I think if is only for the ending CGs, probably is less noticeable than game sprites ? I mean often for CG scenes you see even a different coloring style than cell-shading...
computer games

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

why not have the new artist add a touch of his/her style to the old sprites? That is, if you already own the rights to said sprites.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#5 Post by Chu-3 »

I don't know if this idea would help or not, but I saw some case where the original illustrator just made the sketches and then finished by someone else (for the outline and coloring), so it will somehow look similar with the original illustrator's work.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by jack_norton »

Some good suggestions, thanks :)
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

I think that's why more indies are into 3D games (its easier for multiple artists to model in the same look / environment). Having one artist do all the art in one super-long game is too much.

Multiple "guest" artists contributing to a project is actually common in Japanese rpgs... although I do notice that their unique distinguishing styles are only allowed during "Loading..." cut-in screens instead of the actual in-game graphics.

Perhaps for future projects just settle on a trademark shading technique and use that as a template for subsequent artists? Another technique is to borrow from the animation industry and create "Model Packs" which are essentially turn-around designs for each character. You'll base the designs from the Lead Artist, and have subsequent artists follow the Model Packs as accurately as possible.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by jack_norton »

DaFool wrote:I think that's why more indies are into 3D games (its easier for multiple artists to model in the same look / environment). Having one artist do all the art in one super-long game is too much.
Yes exactly. Also you spend less in the long run. When I did the 3d boxers for UBM2 I was surprised by the low cost. Lots of competition with chinese 3d artists though :lol:
DaFool wrote:Perhaps for future projects just settle on a trademark shading technique and use that as a template for subsequent artists? Another technique is to borrow from the animation industry and create "Model Packs" which are essentially turn-around designs for each character. You'll base the designs from the Lead Artist, and have subsequent artists follow the Model Packs as accurately as possible.
I'm not sure about this. For this game ok, but in general I don't like to put too many constraits to artists :?
computer games

Nebi
Regular
Projects: Greaves

#9 Post by Nebi »

Jack Norton wrote:I'm not sure about this. For this game ok, but in general I don't like to put too many constraints to artists :?
Animation studios in Japan are constantly forced to adapt to a particular style, especially if the series is adapted from a particular manga artist. Some notable examples are One Piece and works by CLAMP. Granted we're talking about visual novels, but it is helpful to have a consistent style throughout your game. It is unfortunate that an artist is unable to see the game from start to finish, but it does happen and probably more often than we think.

My opinion is that:

a. there should always be a lead artist, or at least, an artist that establishes what the style will be. You may work with many talented artists but they should be willing to put their effort into adapting to one specific style as long as it is the decision of the artistic director. In a smaller team, that role is probably filled by you. If your artists are not willing to do so, then they are probably working for free. :] In that case, you're stuck.

b. an artist with a decent background in the arts and some experience should be able to adapt their talents to imitate another style. In fact, for most artists, that is what they have been doing during the development stage - imitating the works of others. It is when they hit what I call the plateau that the artist is confident and skilled enough to be able to reproduce a style that is similar to another. This applies to other mediums as well - think of a ghostwriter. The better the artist, the better the result. Of course it may end up taking more time to complete.

You're going to have to scour the net for artists that can and are willing to do that, though.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#10 Post by Gear »

For what it's worth, I don't think it's going to be a huge issue. The original art style may have been unique, but games change with time, and people understand that. Besides, when you play a VN, the art is only part of the game. The story is the real kicker, wouldn't you agree?

And besides, games like Monkey Island can't seem to maintain an art style anyway...
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yes, people would probably whine about it, but people whine about pretty much everything :D

At the end of the day you have to work with what you got, and I think as long as there isn't an incredible discrepancy in style or skill, no-one will worry too much. The best you can do is find someone who has a similar style or someone pretty good at mimicking. It may also be useful if you can get your hands on one of the original PSD (or other) files so the new artist can see HOW the art was done. It can make it much easier to change things and copy things if you know how someone did it in the first place.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by jack_norton »

Yes I have all the original PSDs, some even include the original sketches. I think will go for it then, since after all I have all sprites needed for the story, and I'm missing only the art for the endings CGs that is not a big deal even if are slightly different :)
computer games

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#13 Post by Watercolorheart »

DaFool wrote: Another technique is to borrow from the animation industry and create "Model Packs" which are essentially turn-around designs for each character. You'll base the designs from the Lead Artist, and have subsequent artists follow the Model Packs as accurately as possible.
This is the tactic I've taken.

Also, Jack, I think that it won't matter much. What's important is good visuals ... not consistent visuals. What I mean is, as long as the art is consistent in the game itself, that should be good enough.

Look at all the doujin and fanfiction work out there still enjoyed by fans ... just because the sequel is "canon" doesn't mean that they will hate the game for necessary changes.

See also: Art Evolution
I'm not even the same person anymore

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by jack_norton »

All right, as I posted in my blog, this is the best replacement I found (same artist as Loren RPG):

I was personally enthusiast but Ren already posted saying they're not similar at all :lol: so well, I'm asking you, though I really doubt will manage to find someone that can imitate Rebecca's style better than this...
computer games

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#15 Post by Alera »

Well- different, but not bad? The art style of the first two games really is what makes them recognizable but this could be refreshing too. :3 I wouldn't mind~
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)