A quick question for posters

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

A quick question for posters

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

Why are most people putting "WIP" in the thread title? It's in the WIP forum, so doesn't that go without saying? Is this some long-lost rule I'm blanking on?

I am confused.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: A quick question for posters

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Bandwagon effect, I'd say.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

I agree it's odd, but I think it's peace of mind for the creator. Creating a thread that's just your game's name seems to make it the "official" thread, and if the game isn't done yet, people might feel uncomfortable with that.

And let's not knock the bandwagon effect ... I'd love to see the "[Solved]" tag in Ren'Py Help become standard. :)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#4 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Because some of us are silly, and didn't know there wasn't such a rule. I'm running short of news or commenters for my thread, though, so in my case I doubt it will ever matter.

My question is why do otome games get a hundred times more attention in the first five minutes that mine has gotten since it was posted ten+ days ago? It's not like they're rare these days.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Aleema »

DarkSpartan wrote:My question is why do otome games get a hundred times more attention in the first five minutes that mine has gotten since it was posted ten+ days ago? It's not like they're rare these days.
Because BOYS!

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Some of us have Bishi-style boys in our games, and still get no love unless there's a female MC and she gets to chase them all.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Aleema »

DarkSpartan wrote:Some of us have Bishi-style boys in our games, and still get no love unless there's a female MC and she gets to chase them all.
Your opening post vs another or another or another.
I see plenty of love in your thread, btw.

What do you want to hear? You already know the answer. More people who want GxB are active in the WIP forum. It's not a lack of love, there's just more love for something else. :)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Yeah, I don't have enough artwork posted, looks like. Might have to try again later.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#9 Post by Hayzel »

I don't do it X3

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Well, I guess because some WIPs before are finished games now?
I dunno, I do it because I like it that way... XD

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by OtomeWeekend »

as for me, when i browsed in a certain site.... it says that its best to put WIP in your topic's title... i am also actually curious why(and as for my reason, I'm seeing everyone with WIP in their title so just go on the flow)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#12 Post by Blue Lemma »

All right, those answers make sense. (but you don't have to do it!)

The topic of GxB activity compared to BxG activity was raised. I think the difference is for two main reasons:
1) a significant increase in girls on the forum
2) psychology/sociology (Maybe girls are more e-talkative? Going by the theories, maybe girls gravitate towards group interaction and group problem-solving more and so the WIP forum is a natural place for them? I don't post anything I work on in WIP, for instance, because I rarely want everyone's opinion as it's developed - no offense.)

I speak in broad generalities, NOT ALL GIRLS/GUYS ARE THIS WAY. Someone's always ready to pounce any time you bring up gender at all -_-;
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#13 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have no idea, but I would agree that is most likely a recent band wagon effect. Question is, who started it?

And I agree with Blue Lemma about the reasoning of the activity. I would be interested to know about the ratio of male to female in active forum members. I know it feels like there are more females here, but I could be wrong. At any rate, you can't force others to be more active, nor to like your project. All you can do is be active yourself and try your best to make a good game.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#14 Post by KomiTsuku »

Yeah, there has been a major drop in not only BxG but interest in the few that have been made. >.<; Not really sure the cause, but I can pretty easily see the effect. Oh well, less competition.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Crocosquirrel »

KomiTsuku wrote:Yeah, there has been a major drop in not only BxG but interest in the few that have been made. >.<; Not really sure the cause, but I can pretty easily see the effect. Oh well, less competition.
Not a bad way to look at it. There was awhile there when Academy Daze was going to be a GxB, after my group figured out that the increase in assets for being able to do all of the above over picking one was horrifyingly large. Never mind the requirements for some twenty-two different paths on the writing.

That, and the bulk of the other team members thought I might have a hard time writing as a girl chasing boys.