Sprite Size

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mcandy
Regular
Projects: ~Lucky~ (GxB)

Sprite Size

#1 Post by mcandy »

Just wondering what size should the canvas be to make character sprite :/
Working On VN Projects!
Check them out!
~Lucky~ (GxB) - Romance, Mystery, Comedy, Slice of life, School
Who is He?!(GxB) - Romance, mystery, comedy, school

MY DEVIANTART PROF!
Click here~!-You can view all of my artworks here :3

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Sprite Size

#2 Post by Aleema »

Make it large. You can always shrink it down. Better to have too big a version than too small. You probably want to make it 1024px high at least. (width is entirely dependent to the design)

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

I usually use double the height of the window and the normal width. For example if your screen is 800x600, Make the canvas 800x1200. You don't need to use the full space (especially if you have a shorter character, draw them lower than a taller character) When you're done, scale it down depending on how big you want the sprites- if you need to have 3 or 4 sprites on screen at once, make them smaller.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#4 Post by yummy »

If you're asking which size you should use when you're drawing your sprites: I think it depends on your default screen resolution for your game.
Without trying to be boring, say your default screen is 1440*900 (ratio 9:10) for full screen, then you will want to make a sprite that won't be too deformed.
I think it's best to have three times the original size then shrink it to your default game screen size once you've finished.

Most illustrators do this, first because when your hand wobbles, it will become invisible when you reduce the size and second, because it's easier to adapt for future uses.

If you're asking about how to cut your characters so that they fit the screen "properly" : It's really up to you. Most people cut at the beginning of the zettai ryouiki, some put them completely, some cut at the waist, some don't even make a sprite.... (yes it is true!)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#5 Post by Crocosquirrel »

The rule of thumb I was taught to use for 2D is double the pixel count in each direction.

If you have a screen 1366x768, for example ( I like mine 1920x1080), and you want to put three sprites on a screen horizontally, there's a little bit of math.

1366/3 = 455.3 Let's call this 400, because you want a buffer in between. Now, for height, you don't want to go all the way to the top of the screen. The average max height should be roughly 80-85%. Let's go safe, and say 80. 768x.8 = 614.4, so we'll call that 600.

So we have a finished sprite size of 400x600. (people are not as wide as they are tall unless they have their arms straight out to the sides). Double that in each direction, and you have a starting size of 800x1200, which is a reasonable number for most of the programs I've seen. That, and the reduction in size can hide my shaky-hands. Your ratio may differ from mine, but you always want to scale evenly. If you change one dimension, then change the other by the same amount, or you WILL have distortion issues.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

mcandy
Regular
Projects: ~Lucky~ (GxB)

#6 Post by mcandy »

Wow~ Thanks everyone XD I'll take all of your advice
Working On VN Projects!
Check them out!
~Lucky~ (GxB) - Romance, Mystery, Comedy, Slice of life, School
Who is He?!(GxB) - Romance, mystery, comedy, school

MY DEVIANTART PROF!
Click here~!-You can view all of my artworks here :3