Ren'Py's Public Image

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
denzil
Veteran

#46 Post by denzil »

But this assumes we only have one upgraded demo. Which still doesn't solve the complexity problem.
I think that too. It will be better to have several demos, each showing certain parts of Ren'Py capabilities (short kinetic novel for basics, advanced demo to show advanced things...)
I guess it could be good idea to make a new section on Ren'Py trac for the new demo(s), banners, tutorials, whatever...
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#47 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Is that an invitation?
If you want it to be. We need somebody, and it seems like you want to step up.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

DaFool wrote:The best demos imho, since they are part of more full-featured applications, share that application's quality.

Therefore, don't make something specifically to be a demo, but only with an eye that 'hey, this could be a good demo'.
I don't quite understand what you mean, or I disagree. It's not a demo of an actual game- it's a demo for an engine. So you can't just pull out part's of Ren'Py and show it off as a demo. What would that even be? Displaying screens of source code? You could pull clips from already released games, but I think that will lack continuity and cohesiveness. Plus, there are few clips which really utilize Ren'Py's features well. I really think that an original work for the demo is in order.

I think the "quine" idea was a very good one. The Ren'Py demo could be the story of someone who just discovered Ren'Py, and decides to try it out making a game. All of the vignettes could be game ideas he tries out. I think it would be really effective, because the target audience would really be able to empathize with the main character. And you could address any concerns developers might have by giving the main character the same concerns, but showing how they are overcome. Worried about non-programmers being scared of Ren'Py? Let the main character express the same concern, but show how he finds programming in ren'py is really easy.

I think the signature idea is a really good one. How many forums does each person here belong to? If we each added an advertisement in our sig, that could really help spread the word. Some sort of banner ad contest sounds like a really good idea- though I think it should wait until an official logo is found.

As far as multiple demos go, I really don't see the point- except to have a game template that would need to remain simple- and that can be included with the original demo as an additional executable. "Separate" demos can just be logically divided within the same actual demo, if needed. The "separate" demos could be executed through the demo's first menu, or even different main menu selections.

EDIT:
PyTom wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Is that an invitation?
If you want it to be. We need somebody, and it seems like you want to step up.
In that case, I accept

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#49 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm a member of lots of anime-related forums. How bout something like this? (one unique sig for everyone of us... although again, none of the characters in my sig have actually been used in ren'py.)

Yay! go for it man! I totally support the Quine idea... although that would be a burden on the artist for the various sequences.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#50 Post by DaFool »

ShiraiJunichi I think we're actually in the same line of thinking, except that I would like branches to be separate demos and you would like them all compiled into one.

Several script templates I think would be easier to work with. Like a basic KN template all the way to an advanced multi-branch VN template. Its easier to customize if theres many examples.

lordcloudx that is good, but I'd start using a Ren'py banner once I've actually gotten a game out from under my belt.

I am definitely concentrating on my first project. Whether or not it is something for the demo will be up to your alls decision as to the quality of the final product (later this month). I already have about a dozen backgrounds for it, but I haven't really outlined a character for it. Therefore, it will be no problem for me to put Eileen there instead. My focus is embedded movies, layered animations, timed text, no branches or choices. I'll have tech questions once I actually go to programming, which will be last (at least I'll have artwork, script, and format to show by then).
Last edited by DaFool on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denzil
Veteran

#51 Post by denzil »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:As far as multiple demos go, I really don't see the point- except to have a game template that would need to remain simple- and that can be included with the original demo as an additional executable. "Separate" demos can just be logically divided within the same actual demo, if needed.
I was a bit afraid it would be hard to find what file is what part of the demo but if it will be linked from main menu (and it will show the filename before start) then I second to the Quine idea.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

DaFool wrote:ShiraiJunichi I think we're actually in the same line of thinking, except that I would like branches to be separate demos and you would like them all compiled into one.
I think having separate downloads would only serve to complicate things, and bloat download size for those who would want to download all of them. If they are all together, then media files can be reused. And the idea is to strongly link different demos together- ie. the tutorial demo explains code used in the effects demo. So they seem to logically belong together as well

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by lordcloudx »

DaFool wrote:lordcloudx that is good, but I'd start using a Ren'py banner once I've actually gotten a game out from under my belt.
not a problem for me... as long as you can call my kinetic novels "games."
anyway, you can just use a generic ren'py logo once it's been finished.

and I can edit this sig to fit in the logo too.

so... has this demo project officially started?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by DaFool »

Well I'm doing my own thing, but it is up to anyone else if they'd want to delegate some features into my work-in-progress. That way kill 2 birds with one stone. Like I said already a 5min Kinetic Poem.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#55 Post by PyTom »

I'm not sure something like this ever "officially" starts. It's just people working on it and organizing themselves. It's not like someone comes out and says "Let the games-making begin!".

I like the idea of a quine-like game, focused more on game-making. Perhaps it should focus on Eileen teaching the main character how to make a game. (And that game-making is something he can do.)

I'm also wondering if someone would volunteer to redesign the Ren'Py website, perhaps in a style inspired by the roundrect theme. But it may make sense to wait until some of the art is complete.

I'm sort of hoping much of this will come together for Ren'Py 5.6.0, which is due out a while from now. (5.5.4 is due out probably early next week.)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#56 Post by lordcloudx »

hee hee so let me come out and say it then.

*drumroll*
Let the games-making begin!

hehe sorry it's 3 a.m. and a sleep-deprived mind gives me a twisted personality (that's my alibi).

now we need to decide on the actual story structure...

btw Dafool. 5 minutes for a poem? that must be one long poem.
Last edited by lordcloudx on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by DaFool »

PyTom may I request your permission to use the character Eileen in my Kinetic Poem, which will essentially be the main character writing a poem in appreciation of Eileen's help. My version of Eileen will be my own, of course, just like how manga artists interpret each other's characters.
btw Dafool. 5 minutes for a poem? that must be one long poem.
Ok make that 3 min :D I'm timing it to a song, btw, like an anime music video. The copyright issue here should be just as bad as for a fansub, but I have some audio editing tools so it'll be more like a remix.

I really like the community of support here, its so much better than entirely self-motivation. :P
Last edited by DaFool on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:I like the idea of a quine-like game, focused more on game-making. Perhaps it should focus on Eileen teaching the main character how to make a game. (And that game-making is something he can do.)
I was actually thinking about Eileen being the object of the main character's affection, and all the story ideas he goes through feature Eileen as the main love interest/character. This would be a good way to reuse her character art, sparing artists a lot of trouble for something that will just be a demo. The it could have some kind of embarrassing end, where Eileen comes into his room, and sees what he's doing, or something.

denzil
Veteran

#59 Post by denzil »

So this means that it will be actually main character explaining Ren'Py features and not Eileen?
ShiraiJunichi wrote:The it could have some kind of embarrassing end, where Eileen comes into his room, and sees what he's doing, or something.
Why embarrassing?
Eileen from current demo wrote:"My name is Eileen, and while I hope to one day star in a real game, for now I'm here to tell you about Ren'Py."
:wink:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#60 Post by PyTom »

[quote="DaFool"]PyTom may I request your permission to use the character Eileen in my Kinetic Poem, which will essentially be the main character writing a poem in appreciation of Eileen's help. My version of Eileen will be my own, of course, just like how manga artists interpret each other's characters.
/quote]

Sure. But realize that we can't distribute copyrighted work from the Ren'Py site (or this board, or renai.us, or ...). Ren'Py needs to remain squeaky clean, at least for the main program.