Completed games made by other people will not load.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Leah

Completed games made by other people will not load.

#1 Post by Leah »

I keep having a problem running games with Ren'py. For right now I am trying to play Fantasia Requiem of the Abyss. If I try to open the game with the .exe file, the game opens a small black box and closes. My cursor changes, for the second the black box is open. If I try to open the game with Ren'py it does the same thing. I am not sure what I am doing wrong; help please?
Also, I can play Fantasia The Realm of Thanos with no problems. It works with the .exe file and when I use Ren'py to run it. I also have had the problem with another game (I can't think of its name).

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Completed games made by other people will not load.

#2 Post by try10 »

The same happens for me but nobody helps me :cry: :cry: :cry: :( . On my old laptop everything was fine ,but now I can't play Lucky Rabbit Reflex, Planets and Always remember me anymore . Basically, when I open the game the window appears, but it's black and I can't see anything but I hear the sounds. Oh and I forgot to mention that both Fantasia games work for me.

Um... do you have directx installed?????

Leah

#3 Post by Leah »

Thanks for responding! I don't think we have the same problem, though. Mine just opens a black box with a cursor in it and closes right away after it opens. I've read about your problem, but haven't seen any fixes for it. I do have DirectX and everything that I should need. I just don't quite understand what the problem is with Ren'py/Fantasia Requiem of the Abyss. I can play Fantasia The Realm of Thanos, but that's the only other Ren'py game I have, unless you count Magical Diary - Horse Hall.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by try10 »

Sorry that I couldn't be of any help...

:(

Leah

#5 Post by Leah »

It's no problem! You at least tried to help, which most seemed to just read the thread.

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#6 Post by Soraminako »

Well, we read, but most of us don't know how to solve that problem, so we can't help you. ^^; It's not like we're ignoring you or doing it for fun or anything.

Your best bet is that hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will pass by, see the thread and then try to help you.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#7 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

If the game was written with an accelerated version of Ren'Py AND the problem is acceleration-related, it may work to hold down the shift key when starting the game, then tell it to prefer the software renderer. I believe that holding down shift doesn't work on MacOS; to get to the software renderer, you'll need to override an environment variable.

If that doesn't work, take a look at the traceback.txt and log.txt (or opengl.txt) files that Ren'Py creates. traceback.txt is created on most crashes and will tell you something about what triggered them; log.txt and opengl.txt tell you what Ren'Py is trying to do with the video card.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

Leah

#8 Post by Leah »

Thanks!
Soraminako wrote:Well, we read, but most of us don't know how to solve that problem, so we can't help you. ^^; It's not like we're ignoring you or doing it for fun or anything.Your best bet is that hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will pass by, see the thread and then try to help you.
Sorry, was slightly flustered. I've wanted to play this game since like forever. Fantasia The Realm of Thanos was my first VN ever. I stayed up until about 3 am on a school night playing it. Sooo made me angry that I couldn't play this one! Buttt, I didn't really mean it in a offensive way. Like someone could have said, weird I've never heard of anything like that, or like you said and wait for a pro to come along.
Spiky Caterpillar wrote:If the game was written with an accelerated version of Ren'Py AND the problem is acceleration-related, it may work to hold down the shift key when starting the game, then tell it to prefer the software renderer. I believe that holding down shift doesn't work on MacOS; to get to the software renderer, you'll need to override an environment variable.

If that doesn't work, take a look at the traceback.txt and log.txt (or opengl.txt) files that Ren'Py creates. traceback.txt is created on most crashes and will tell you something about what triggered them; log.txt and opengl.txt tell you what Ren'Py is trying to do with the video card.
Hmm.. how exactly should I open it though (Vista)? I tried opening the .exe file holding shift but no luck and launching via Ren'Py holding shift. Now that I think about it, I used LINT because I thought it would make it work; it said there was some enviroment conflict I think.

Code: Select all

Ren'Py 6.10.2e lint report, generated at: Wed Oct 19 22:02:28 2011

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/cain.rpy:99 The jump is to nonexistent label 'namid2'.

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/klavios.rpy:270 'run.wav.' is not loadable

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/nazim.rpy:181 'run.wav.' is not loadable

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/script.rpy:36 Image c uses file 'CainX1.png', which is not loadable.

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/script.rpy:224 Image bg 40 uses file '40.jpg', which is not loadable.

D:\renpy-6.10.2\Fantasia_Requiem of the Abyss/game/script.rpy:238 Image bg 53 uses file '53.jpg', which is not loadable.

Statistics:

The game contains 16428 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 151652 words,
for an average of 9.2 words per screen.
The game contains 111 menus.

Lint is not a substitute for thorough testing. Remember to update Ren'Py
before releasing. New releases fix bugs and improve compatibility
I think I found the traceback file..

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

AttributeError: '_Theme' object has no attribute 'diamond'

While executing init code:
 - script at line 10 of E:\renpy-6.11.2-sdk\Lonesome/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 54 of E:\renpy-6.11.2-sdk\Lonesome/game/options.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\Moo\Documents\Ren'py\renpy-6.10.2\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Moo\Documents\Ren'py\renpy-6.10.2\renpy\main.py", line 255, in main
  File "C:\Users\Moo\Documents\Ren'py\renpy-6.10.2\renpy\execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "C:\Users\Moo\Documents\Ren'py\renpy-6.10.2\renpy\ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Moo\Documents\Ren'py\renpy-6.10.2\renpy\python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "E:\renpy-6.11.2-sdk\Lonesome/game/options.rpy", line 54, in <module>

While executing init code:
 - script at line 10 of E:\renpy-6.11.2-sdk\Lonesome/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 54 of E:\renpy-6.11.2-sdk\Lonesome/game/options.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e
P.S. I am REALLY looking forward to the next Magical Diary installment!

Another
Regular

#9 Post by Another »

"Fantasia_Requiem_of_the_abyss.exe" doesn't launch the game for you? I had the same problem with the .app file on my Mac. :mrgreen:

I solved this by replacing the Fantasia application with the Ren'Py 6.10.2 launcher. I'm not sure this will help you, though.

Indeed, I've just checked on my computer that Ren'Py 6.11.2 can launch Fantasia-RoTA. If your Ren'Py can launch the tutorial, The Question and Fantasia-RoT, the problem comes most probably from your RoTA archive itself.

So, I can only recommend redownloading the .rar archive (some players reported that doing so solved similar troubles they had with Fantasia games). :?

Leah

#10 Post by Leah »

@Another, tried your first solution, but no dice. You said you downloaded it; could you post the link you downloaded, please? I've tried two links that I found, but they both didn't work. Thanks for helping!

Another
Regular

#11 Post by Another »

Sorry, I didn't keep that information (it was in July... 2010). I think that I probably used the full version from Megaupload. I know this link still worked in December, but now? :|

You may have more success asking directly on the game's thread...

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#12 Post by chensterrain »

If pressing shift using the launcher isn't working for you, you could maybe try putting an environment.txt in the directory of each game (though this might be deprecated now, I'm not sure?). I know that someone playing one of my games was having the same problem try10 mentioned with the sounds playing but no graphics, and slapping an environment file in there solved this, but this might be a different problem to the one you're having, Leah. Sorry about that! :(

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#13 Post by Anima »

That sounds like you are trying to run a Ren'Py game with the diamond theme with a Ren'Py version that is to old to have that theme.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III