Need artist

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#91 Post by DaFool »

DONE :D

Though I only used my own reference, it sure looks like Rio's art. OMG!

denzil
Veteran

#92 Post by denzil »

So the final test is out, links are in your PM's, comments are appreciated. If you want something in readme (www, email... whatever) just let me know. I think the relase will be next Sunday.
And thanks for help everyone.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#93 Post by mikey »

Nice, it's really come a long way. Looking forward to the release :P

BTW, if any of the more native English-speakers find something wrong with the translation, feel free to correct it - though keep in mind that the original text isn't your everyday sentence structure either, so mood is important. Anyway, it's been great to see how such a small text made a lot of people come together and create this piece. I'm really amazed. It's been nice working with you guys.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#94 Post by DaFool »

Typo in last poem:
"I'm not feeling well anyway. Nof after what has happened."

denzil -- see email re: dance char no black hairline version which I'm not sure makes the character blend in with the hair better. Final call is yours.

Could we also have a part in the dance scene where it's just the background?

Also a part where the character is still and has her eyes closed (as if kissing or something).

I'd say, good music. And this is really something I'm proud to be a part of.

denzil
Veteran

#95 Post by denzil »

DaFool wrote:denzil -- see email re: dance char no black hairline version which I'm not sure makes the character blend in with the hair better. Final call is yours.
I will look at it.
DaFool wrote:Could we also have a part in the dance scene where it's just the background?
I am not sure. It would be probably quite difficult finding part where it would fit. I give it a try, but probably not.
DaFool wrote:Also a part where the character is still and has her eyes closed (as if kissing or something).
Should be easy to add. Plus I got an idea how to improve ending thanks to it (a bit of zooming...).

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#96 Post by Alessio »

Neat, that's a little gem of a short VN. Only two small improvement suggestions:
1. Music - Songs don't necessarily need a fade-in at the beginning of a chapter (but it's fine if you want to keep it that way). When music changes mid-chapter, there should be a longer fade-out (currently it seems as if music #1 stops dead, and music #2 fades in). Maybe that could be solved by using two music channels (so that one fades out while the other fades in).
2. Poems on the title screen: The italic characters look a bit all over the place (the font spacing is obviously messed up when using italics). What about just using a picture of the text instead (reduced to e.g. 16 colors so that the file size stays small)? Just an idea.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#97 Post by DaFool »

Have we tried setting the general font to Monotype Corsiva? It'll be italicized through and through, but it might fit something of this sort.

I've tried experimenting using the animated poem code, and found that exact spacing is something that's quite difficult to achieve.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#98 Post by mikey »

Actually, just now, this has given me an idea. Since this concept has worked so well, and so many people participated in hmmm... five minutes of play ^_^, it seems that there could be some potential.

So what if there was a limit of 3 kb of text (or whatever is equivalent to Lakeside Sunset or indeed a CD-type story), and artists could participate with just one sprite or just one song. It's really easy to join a miniature effort, and there's almost no risk of failure, because it's so small - when you do something (a sprite, a song, a background), that's basically all that's needed.

We could create a few ministories, each from a different person and so on, and it would be a nice commnuity project. But you wouldn't need to start from a story - maybe someone would just draw a picture and the writer would think of something that fits. And so on - why not draw something that's inspired by a music?

Even translations would be manageable (To French, to Spanish, Hungarian, Filipino, you name it). And maybe even a "safe investment", because when the project (one of the ministories) would fail, you wouldn't lose all that much work.

Anyway, it's JUST a suggestion, but maybe it's not so uninteresting. It would need a coordinator of some sort, probably, and a set of rules limiting this and that, so it really is a miniproject.

And kinetic poems, as DaFool named them, I rather like that name as I hear it more and more...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#99 Post by DaFool »

Well for one thing, the "barrier of entry" has just been standardized from 20-25 minutes down to 3-5 minutes.

I wasn't around for long, but I guess the whole demo-size thing is just a recent phenomena? So what did people on this forum occupy themselves with before that?

Then again, there aren't much in the way of nanorenos (at least maybe not until next year).

So having small bitesize meals is a good thing, but I happen to be a chef who wants to bake a full course dinner as well. On the contrary, if you have enough chefs and they each make a little snack, there would be enough food to feed everybody.

But the best thing we learn from the 5-minute experience is just how much effort is needed to produce high production values, especially for more cinematic works.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#100 Post by PyTom »

One idea would be to bundle a number of these short games into a single download, since for a short game, the size of Ren'Py can become substantial.

I would make the limit 250 screens of text.

I think that there should be a "Genuflect" option in there somewhere.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#101 Post by DaFool »

Sango had that persistent third option, "Put it in." It was 7-minutes-ish.

Come to think of it, even al|together games have always been short, and they have the same time constraints (if not longer) to translate them as nanoreno.

The 5.6.2 launcher can be customized into a multigame launcher. The problem then is having to port that into mac/linux.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#102 Post by PyTom »

The 5.6.2 launcher works on Mac and Linux.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

denzil
Veteran

#103 Post by denzil »

Updated the download. Music now fades out, title screen poems now show at one place. Also added bonus (text only version of the stories and Vatina's sketch).

>>Have we tried setting the general font to Monotype Corsiva?
Is it freeware/opensource font? If not I can't use it.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#104 Post by mikey »

Can the color versions of the backgrounds be somehow unlocked in the game? Or are they a bonus like the files in the special directory?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#105 Post by DaFool »

Monotype Corsiva is a general built-in (Microsoft?) font, like Courier. No downloads needed.

So instead of setting the font to Courier, for example, you would set it to Monotype Corsiva.

Then again, in the past it has messed up the default font size, so it might mess up the Czech text here as well. So I would suggest at this time (especially nearing release date) to not take this suggestion seriously. The text here is good and very readable as it is, and that is the most important thing.

I like the implementation of the kiss scene, it turned out better than I expected, although it slows down the computer as expected.

As far as more bonus items, sure I won't mind releasing full color versions of the BGs inside the bonus folder. I've entertained the idea of releasing donations of some of my BGs before. The important thing is that you saw it in Colorless Day first. So would you like that? If so, I'll send off 800x600 HQ jpegs of the latest versions when I get home.

As for character art, the question becomes one of consistency. I did mine in full color, but how about the ones for in_silence? I haven't seen BCS around recently, but I think she mentioned her character art were airbrushed in grays.