Final Fantasy XIII-II? ALSO! Final Fantasy X remake?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Cinerious

Re: Final Fantasy XIII-II? ALSO! Final Fantasy X remake?

#16 Post by Cinerious »

ririruetoo wrote:
@Cinerious

Hmm...I've never really thought that they might add more to the FFX world, but they should! Spira has to be one of my all time favorite settings in Final Fantasy, so I would enjoy exploring more of it.
FFX and FFXIII has been said to be similar due to their linearity. I would love it if we could explore more of Spira, see its sights and culture before the final defeat of Sin. Sure, FFX-2 gave a broader glimpse of Spira, but it was smothered by the fanservice @__@
Desu_Cake wrote: *Cough* Advent Children *Cough*
I think that AC popularized the 'wangsty Cloud' depictions of the character, which is just sad...but I'll admit that I enjoyed watching AC for the sheer rule of cool. :D
Perfection is the enemy of the good.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Riviera »

I loved Advent Children. Lots of flash and pretty and action.

I figured the sci-fi aliens thing was talking about Spirits Within, because that was the one that had alien and sci-fi stuff in it. Eh, I didn't like that much but I saw it as more of a tech demo of what they could do with the CGI.

Meatpie: Not everyone has the same view of DLC. Sometimes people, you know, want to support the company, like the game, and happen to not mind spending some extra money for stuff that is completely optional and not necessary to fully play the game.

There are always going to be pre-order bonuses. It's how they get people to pre-order. In this case they're just letting you buy the pre-order bonuses later if you'd rather hold off on the purchase.

Also everyone's definition of a good or bad game is different. I loved Dragon Age 2. A lot of fans online hated it. That's fine, they've got a right to their opinion and so do I.

Also there are those of us who don't put as much stock into gameplay. Unless the gameplay is totally horrible, I will play the game if it has at least a few of the following: a good story, characters I like, good music or nice graphics. FF has always filled almost all of those requirements for me with few exceptions, so I've bought most of their games. I haven't gotten the chance to try XIII, so I'll hold off judgement on that one for the time being.

Story is paramount in a game for me, so if it has a good story I will let other things slide.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

Meatpie wrote:
LVUER wrote: Good or bad, lots of people will still buy it

"Good or bad"
People who purchase bad games knowingly are cancer that is perpetuating the downfall of gaming, just like the people who garble down all the DLC big companies throw out for their latest release. Speaking of DLC, Ultima Weapon is confirmed for Day 1 DLC, for people who pre-ordered the game. People who don't pre-order have to pay extra.
Along with a whole bunch of weapons and costumes. That alone is enough to make the game a heap of shit, if people are forced to pay extra for things that should be on the disc, anyone who buys this game and it's DLC are literally saying "Squeenix, I want your faecal matter in my mouth right this instant."
May be... but I only answer why FF still going strong even now. And remember that FF is still a good game, it's just not as good as the old days anymore. My favorite FF is still FF5,6,7, and 9.
Desu_Cake wrote:
Meatpie wrote:
(as long as it's a GAME, not a poor replica of sci-fi Aliens movie).
I don't understand.
*Cough* Advent Children *Cough*
Actually, I mean "Spirit Within".
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#19 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sigh. I started playing Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy 2. I fell in love with the series with Final Fantasy 6 (Final Fantasy 3 in the U.S. at the time). I put a shameful amount of hours into Final Fantasy 7. Final Fantasy 8 was enjoyable, even if its story made no damn sense. So was 9. 10 was . . . okay. It was definitely fun, especially playing Blitzball. I just hated how convoluted Square had started making their stories - a problem with most of the series, but it gets worse with every new release. At this point the stories are like something that would result from asking M. Night Shyamalan to write a remake of Lost in riddle book form.

I didn't play 11 much, I was pretty ticked they made an online multiplayer game part of the numbered series - it seemed a shameless ploy for the numbers the series is guaranteed to bring in. I found 12 . . . boring. Honestly, did the main character in that DO anything? I think you could remove him and the story would be the same. Square picked the wrong viewpoint characters, and by the time the story got rolling good I no longer cared enough to continue.

13 was a travesty. Honestly, if Square wants to make movies so damn bad - make movies! I'm tired of paying for a GAME and getting a movie that forces me to push buttons every once in a while to continue. The characters were bland and lifeless, a collection of stereotypes so bad they hurt, and what the hell was up with their names? Hope? Lightning? (Okay, Cloud and Squall are no winners for good names either . . . .)

I bet my brother I could play and beat the intro chapter of the game (a good 30-40 minutes) blind-folded. He accepted. I won. Move in a straight line and hit the A button is the name of the game. The game was still giving me tutorials on things 25+ hours in! No side-quests, no NPCs, no towns. People say it "opened up" after the first 30-35 hours, but so what? I never got that far. Hope whined one time too many after Lightning did her best Cloud impression and the game threw another tutorial in my face and I stopped playing. And never went back.

I wonder if I just don't have the patience for the teen angst and convoluted storylines as an adult. It could be that because I now have much less time to game with a job and responsibilities that I've lost my patience for games that string me along with repeated plot twists just to extend the game. And you know, I definitely want a GAME.

So, no, I'm not excited for any RPG that Square-Enix makes these days.

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#20 Post by Meatpie »

Desu_Cake wrote: *Cough* Advent Children *Cough*
Oh right, I forgot that existed.
Hang on, gonna go bash my head against a wall to forget it again.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#21 Post by ririruetoo »

I just read a review on amazon about Final Fantasy XIII, I think this statement adresses the linear gameplay in a really good way.

"The linearity is there to keep your attention at the story and characters, and honestly,if you're supposed to be hated by the citizens of the world you're running around on, i really doubt you can just stroll into town and be like "yo, gimme somma that weapon you got there...you know, so i can go destroy your ruling government and potentially destroy your lives." http://www.amazon.com/review/R13UHNJ64D ... hisHelpful

Great point Shannon Lee.
ImageImageImage

LVUER
King of Lolies

#22 Post by LVUER »

Yeah, I read lots of that kind of review. I guess it depends on the person... love it or hate it. Personally though, I don't hate it nor love it... just so-so...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

ririruetoo wrote:I just read a review on amazon about Final Fantasy XIII, I think this statement adresses the linear gameplay in a really good way.

"The linearity is there to keep your attention at the story and characters, and honestly,if you're supposed to be hated by the citizens of the world you're running around on, i really doubt you can just stroll into town and be like "yo, gimme somma that weapon you got there...you know, so i can go destroy your ruling government and potentially destroy your lives." http://www.amazon.com/review/R13UHNJ64D ... hisHelpful

Great point Shannon Lee.
Or, a convenient excuse. As the developers at Square themselves said they wanted towns and NPCs, but ran out of time and money from switching engines. (FX13 was originally going to be on the PS2.)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#24 Post by Mink »

I haven't played FFXIII, but I do know when games are too linear it can become boring, especially if there's something in the background that looks more interesting than what you're doing, but you can't get to it.

And I'm all for a FFX remake if they take out that awkward, creepy laughing scene. You know what scene. 8|
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

LVUER
King of Lolies

#25 Post by LVUER »

I haven't play FFXIII, but from what I heard; only first part of the game is linear, the later half is not.

DeviantArt Account

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#26 Post by Aleema »

I've played FF13 and wanted to love it dearly because I had the special edition xbox to play it (with a Lightning face plate and everything. It's since been sold.) There was a lot at stake if I didn't like it. So I tried very hard. In the end, it wasn't a terrible game. There was several times I impulsively shouted, "this is the best game ever!!" because the story gets very interesting somewhere down the line. Then it trickles out to nothing. So, I've played much worse, but it is easily the worst Final Fantasy I've played. There's always a big disconnect for me when I first play a FF game between the engine, the characters, the worlds ... but I always find the beauty in them as I learn to become an expert at them. By the end of the game, I fully grasp the stakes and feel as if I am putting everything I just learned to the test, and I always feel like I've only grazed upon the potential of what was given to me (when I'm on a story-rush, I don't max out chars or do every side quest).

With FF13, I continued to feel a disconnect to absolutely everything throughout the whole game. I even stopped playing it when it became open-world. It wasn't fun. I didn't even want to know how the story ended, because everything I found interest in had been somewhat concluded or stupified. And when it did end, I didn't care. :( I have no idea who the last boss battle was, because I don't even care to remember! And I know some characters "sacrificed" themselves at the end, but even that was just so "whatever" that I'm surprised at myself. Add to that, every character story thread that wasn't closed already by the end was just ham-fisted into the ending FMV really quickly. FF endings have always stuck out in my mind as being some of the most beautiful conclusions to stories I know. Even FF12's was remarkable. This one ... no. =\

In regards to FF13's linearity: it is. It didn't bother me at first, or even for a long while. But it finally boiled over when two of the characters are in a bustling metropolis city ... and I couldn't do anything but walk to the next FMV trigger point. It was so painful to walk over to a merchant standing by an interesting cart and click and have it do absolutely nothing. And I kept walking around trying to talk to people and just do something even though every time, it was in vain. After that, I really couldn't forgive or overlook this major problem for the game. It's borderline offensive, given that it came from a series that very much let you interact with most everything.

Mirage
Veteran

#27 Post by Mirage »

ririruetoo wrote:I just read a review on amazon about Final Fantasy XIII, I think this statement adresses the linear gameplay in a really good way.

Great point Shannon Lee.
Eh, poor excuse. It's not like being L'cie makes you hideously different from normal people. It's easy to hide the marks and pretend you're normal people. Many JRPG, including previous FF featured main characters running away/in hiding, and they have more variety things you can do other than running in straight line. Even Vanille and Sazh are running in straight line when they aren't directly pursued. Stranded in Midgar for the first 5 hours in FFVII is more fun that this, and that says a lot since I hated the first 5 hours of FFVII.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote:I haven't play FFXIII, but from what I heard; only first part of the game is linear, the later half is not.
The latter half is LESS linear. You still don't get towns or NPCs to talk to.

Anthy
Regular

#29 Post by Anthy »

Snow creeps me out even more now. wtf is up with his hair-- put the rag back on please. And I hope Serah dumps him because yeah he looks like a cradle-robber. >_> Serah may be of age, but she really looks like a middle-schooler, and Snow looks his age (or older) despite acting like a total manchild. That may be hypocritical of me because I'm also babyfaced, but it just seemed so strange to me. idk, I just never liked Snow, and was on Lightning's side totally. "get away from my baby sister. stop calling me 'sis'. Ew."

I liked XIII enough... maybe it's because I played the Japanese version? But even still. I watched my sister playing it in English and while it's overall not a bad dub or anything, Vanille's voice makes me cringe. It's all like "mrawr! I'm a pretty kitty! with an Australian accent". I liked the characters, but I guess I'm in the minority because I adored Hope too. Anyway, I liked some of the characters a lot, the battle system was entertaining... but overall, it felt half-finished. The storyline relied a little too much on the human drama, and that's saying a lot because I love drama. So I wonder what they're planning for XIII-2. (I haven't really been following its news other than seeing the design changes, and that time-traveling thing??? Whatever that is.)

X isn't really a remake, from what I know it's just going to be a high-def port. And I can't say I liked X as much as most... while it has some merits, like the gameplay and overall plot... the characters are just bad overall. Maybe it's because of the weird backwater cult-ridden setting. The setting was admittedly well-developed and unique; I just didn't like it. To me, something's wrong when the main character-- who I named "Dorkus" as a joke because he seems so silly and clueless-- ends up being one of the most sensible, likable characters in the main cast. Kimahri and Rikku were okay too. Wakka made me want to stop playing, Yuna was so-so (I blame her depressed English voiceover removing all the drama from certain plot twists), and Lulu and Auron were about as emotionally compelling as bricks. Seymour is great for laughs (again, this is probably because of the dub and his 3d model looking tubby), but I can't take him seriously as a villain. And that one brainwashed cult-loving chick... Shelinda was that her name? Despite being a minor character, made me want to smash my PS2 hahaha. And then there's Blitzball, which makes my brain hurt... But I may buy the remake in Japanese and see if I like it more.

IV, VI, VII and IX will probably always be my favorites of the Final Fantasy series.

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#30 Post by llplldll »

Im sorta looking forward to FF13-2, though Im not sure what to expect. The trailers look hella confusing and all over the place. FF13 was an ok game, the strong personalities of the characters is was kept me going through it. I guess Im looking forward to seeing Serah's character development in FF13-2, since she wasn't even in the first one, really.
Anthy wrote:Snow creeps me out even more now. wtf is up with his hair-- put the rag back on please.
Lol, His hair is just...they totally ruined his look. I also really dislike SnowxSerah pairing. They seem like such a mismatch.
I think Hope had the best make-over compared to everyone. :D

Ive been a final fantasy fan since FF7. I never liked any of the older ones, except part 6 (or 3??) which I played recently. Final fantasy 8 was OK and I loved FFX. I was super excited when FFX-2 was released, but a little let down by it ultimately. I hope the remake of FFX is not as disastrous. (Is it really a remake? or just a HD version?) Why are they remaking FFX anyway???? wHY?? I would much rather have a Final fantasy 7 redux with upgraded graphics :'( Im sure that would sell much more PSVitas, fans have been requesting it for years. Ok, I'll stop whining now.