When and Why did you start writing?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

When and Why did you start writing?

#1 Post by DragoonHP »

*hides from the angry glares*

I know I should probably have asked this question in the old thread I made, but well what can I say, this question just sprang in my mind an hour ago...
Anyway, I apologise for spamming this sub-forum...

Moving on...
So when and why did you start writing?
Did someone tell you, or were you inspired by someone's work so much that you wrote it?

For me... I started writing out of the blue... but I believe one of the key factors was the deep impression left by Harry Potter series in my mind... it made me want to write something, to carve a world out of my imagination which I did...
My first novel or story (and incidentally the only one I want to publish) was written when I was in 12th... so in the winter of 2009... and from then I have continued writing...

Please do share your thoughts and experiences...

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

Re: When and Why did you start writing?

#2 Post by ScottySeng »

Hmm...I know for I disliked writing back in elementary school, and I was known for bad writing. Also, the school it's self was pretty bad.
In middle school, I shaped up a bit more, because we moved cities.
Anyway, I started writing seriously in 9th grade. Better teachers and friends helped me improve and come up with better ideas.
I think I started writing because my family was poor when we moved. All I had in my room was my bed, a lamp, and a night stand.
I remember I read a lot and drew a lot since I had nothing else to do. Sadly when I got my computer, things went downhill from there.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#3 Post by MiSi »

I started writing in the 7th grade. From the essays we had to do as homework, mine had been the best... so that must've been when I noticed, that I'm talented ;) Additionally there was this idea for a story in my mind, which I couldn't forget... so... now I'm a writer with about seven years of practice and experience ;) (but more in German, though :D )

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

When I was very young, before I knew how to read very many words, I used to draw wordless picture books. Because only I knew the story, I would "read" them to my little brother and parents. Other times I would just dictate the words to my mom who would write them very neatly in pen beneath my drawings.

I guess I just did it because I thought it was fun and I was probably inspired by the vast amount of Little Golden Books we owned.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Funnyguts
Veteran

#5 Post by Funnyguts »

I've been writing since forever. I even made my own books when I was little by stapling printer paper together to form a binding and then drawing on it. I don't remember much about those stories, but I do know at some point I made the Hubble telescope into a warship.

When I was a few years older, I tried my hand at a creation myth utilizing the best astronomical science I knew, trying to come up with reasons for why the solar system was the way it was, and then completely ignoring science to explain the existence of clouds.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#6 Post by TakeOverWorld »

I can't remember exactly, but, the time I think I really started getting into this writing thing, was becuase of my cousin, when I was like 7 or 8. He's 2 years older than me and was writing some story about a samuri or something, and I wanted to write a story so I did. One of the only storys I've finished, it was about 27 pages long with massive font but I've been sort of writing since then.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

When I was three, I used to tell my parents stories I made up. They grew tired of me and told me to write down things and draw them instead of annoying them with my constant blabbering.

I thought the stories were about people who lived underwater or something, kinda forgot.

When I had a little brother, I draw and write mostly for him. He was my first fan XD

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#8 Post by curry nochi rice »

April of 2009

why? because I got so bored.. then came in anime movies and I felt like... "I can do the same thing" then poof... I too writing seriously.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by HigurashiKira »

My origin, shamefully, in yaoi fanfiction back in 2008-9. While the pandering of fangirls stroked my ego a bit, it didn't give me what I wanted: an actual audience who would enjoy my writing for what it tells, not because it has something they like.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I'm almost like azureXtwilight. XD

My parents will tell me I'm so "makuwento" (A person who have lots of stories in his/her head and want to tell it to somebody always) and they gave me scrap notebooks to sketch out or write my ideas. (And to be honest, I consume 5 scrap notebooks per year) I only got serious in writing when I was 9 years old, 4 years ago. I made some A-Diary-of-A-Wimpy-Kid-style books using scrap paper. :D

My first story was something about a lost girl in an island. XDD But there was a story that I never get to finish but I liked it so much, about a prophetess falling in love, sorta.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I actually got into writing before I started drawing. I grew up loving books, I used to consume them by the hundreds. I went through most of the adult fantasy section of the library by the time I was 13. What I loved was the stories, the worlds and the characters and I was drawn to try and create my own. Creation is an addiction of mine. I was probably 8-ish when I tried to write stories. They were usually high fantasy type things that never really got finished XD

Now I'm more into drawing, but I still love to create stories in my head about what I draw.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#12 Post by sake-bento »

I ran out of books to read, so I started writing my own. They weren't that great. D: Also, I have a younger sibling who insisted on a new bedtime story every night, so I had to keep making stuff up to feed the cravings. I started coming up with installments, extending the story every night instead of coming up with something new each time. After a while, I started writing them down because I fancied them.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#13 Post by Omnificent »

I wrote my first story when I was five. It was a bunch of nonsensical 'mysteries'.

Writing is kind of a release/form of expression for me. I like to write things that are engaging and entertaining, and also things that evoke a strong emotional response from people. Preferably both!
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

DrathFox
Regular
Projects: DrathFox Project (fighter/adventure)

#14 Post by DrathFox »

I havn't written anything major but I did improv short poems in my early teen,
It just seemed kinda fun to do and I liked expressing emotions that intervene,
Hopefully someday I'll have better use for writing this kind of style,
to come up with something that'll leave an imprint for more than a while.

Well other than those I do have quite a fun imagination inventing stories and events that take place and also try to uncover concepts and ways of thinking. Because I'm always quiet a lot I build up all these ideas but never really share them that often...hopefully I have it built up enough I can make a pretty good story and get some good points across while making it enjoyable :D

Ambrosia

#15 Post by Ambrosia »

that's a good question. I write because i have far too much imagination. When I'm writing, I'm imagining myself in the shoes of another. It's a wonderful feeling.
I started writing a fiction about angels and impossible love in..2008? and since then I write whenewer i'm bored or when i have too much creativity. I enjoy writing books right now, much more than VN's or poetry.
we live on lies. and die on truth.