Sailor Moon dating sim (released!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#31 Post by dizzcity »

Fourteen. FOURTEEN tries before I was able to get Hotaru to love me. :roll: Ended with a final score of 218. In the process, I found out everything there is to know about her, including exactly which gifts she liked.
Which are the Guardian and Good Grades Charms, all the Silver accessories, the Gold Earrings and the Cute Earrings.
Also, it seems like gifts carry over. So what happened was that I spent one round "experimenting" with all sorts of answers, while collecting enough money, and then on Day 20 of the first playthrough, I bought all the good gifts. When I restarted, those gifts were still there, available for use in the next playthrough. Is that a bug or a feature?

It does seem like a simple question and answer game, though, but I noticed that there were some variation - in that earlier answers to questions sometimes changed later answers. There were a couple of questions that didn't have any good answers to them, though. And a few typos here and there. Run the script through a spellchecker.

But overall, I enjoyed the game. I didn't particularly like Sailor Moon (I think it's because I was too old by the time I was exposed to it), but I liked Hotaru here.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Laika Karou
Regular

#32 Post by Laika Karou »

dizzcity wrote: ...When I restarted, those gifts were still there, available for use in the next playthrough. Is that a bug or a feature?
Oh well, now I can pretend that I planned it this way! :lol:

*quoting from Jokes.Net Computer Jokes*:
- - -
Ten Commandments for Stress Free Programming:
1. Thou shalt not worry about bugs.
Bugs in your software are actually special features.

- - -
Actually, I just forgot to remove the items :oops:
mikey wrote:As for the story, it's a bit sad that there isn't any. It seems like a question and answer round with questions repeating every day... but maybe the story will come later on.
dizzcity wrote:It does seem like a simple question and answer game
Apart from buying&giving gifts, basically it is indeed a question and answer game. It has an ending, but there is no storyline (about getting acquainted with Hotaru).
dizzcity wrote:But overall, I enjoyed the game. I didn't particularly like Sailor Moon (I think it's because I was too old by the time I was exposed to it), but I liked Hotaru here.
I believe that no one can be too old to love Sailor Moon. :)
May be you just hadn't a chance to get acquainted with the series more closely?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#33 Post by mikey »

What I really like about the game is that it's very consistent, it has a specific atmosphere - maybe it's the absent story that also contributes to this. You just need to adapt to the game system and in fact the game is really nice. I would put it in a similar *gameplay* bag as the Flash sim dates - in the good sense, it's a different sort of playing. Personally, I don't like this sort of gameplay too much, when it's not connected with a story, because it feels rather sterile, at first I thought what kind of strange girl she is, bombarding me with questions like that - then I understood that's the game system :oops: .

Admittedly, I don't know much about Hotaru, so it was hard to me to find answers she liked, apart from obvious choices. It seems that to go out on a date with a girl, you have to be nice... (an interesting revelation ^_^).
Anton-P wrote:I believe that no one can be too old to love Sailor Moon.
Me neither, in that sense. But then, I think that people can be tired of schoolgirls and magic. :P

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#34 Post by musical74 »

14 tries to get her to love ya, Dizzy? WOW...

All in all it's a good game :) One thing I noticed was that the location where you met her really didn't seem to matter. A lot of locations but didn't seem to matter too much where the date was - although I always have tried to move the date around, so maybe that did make a difference. Also, I ran into the same thing Dizzy did, where some of the questions are *no right answer*, where as some seem a little less than obvious. I don't recognize the Japanese versions of the Sailor Scouts but I know the American ones (i.e. Sailor Moon is Sarena, Sailor Jupiter is Lita, Sailor Venus is Mina...) Although I can guess, based on the American version, that Usagi would be Sarena...=)

It's a fun game =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#35 Post by dizzcity »

musical74 wrote:14 tries to get her to love ya, Dizzy? WOW...
I'm guessing the threshold for love was 200. I kept on getting 197, 196, 198... it was those annoying little answers that pulled me down.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by musical74 »

I think the cutoff for LOVE must be 200 because I got it at 202 and DIDN'T get it at 198 :?

One thing I forgot to add that I thought was neat was you could tell when you made a *perfect choice* or a *horrible choice* by the sound...it's a minor thing but it adds the feel of it. I really like question-and-answer games - heck, I watched Jeopardy for years! - and hope that you can make more like this =)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote:I really like question-and-answer games - heck, I watched Jeopardy for years! - and hope that you can make more like this =)
What's good about this game is that it's not the *typical* quiz game, where you get knowledge questions and the girls strips or something. The questions are related to Hotaru, and maybe if you don't know her, you'll have troubles winning her heart, but with a few trials and errors you can find out what she likes - and this is the kind of question game that makes sense - you are more or less told where you were wrong (by Hotaru's reaction), so that's an enjoyable way to do it.

Laika Karou
Regular

#38 Post by Laika Karou »

musical74 wrote:I think the cutoff for LOVE must be 200 because I got it at 202 and DIDN'T get it at 198 :?
Yes, 200 points.
musical74 wrote: One thing I forgot to add that I thought was neat was you could tell when you made a *perfect choice* or a *horrible choice* by the sound...it's a minor thing but it adds the feel of it.
To tell the truth, I borrowed the idea from Thousand Arms (PSX) :lol:

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by musical74 »

I noticed something very odd...in one of Hotaru's questions, there is an answer of *I'd like to travel through Europe*. If you click on that, Hotaru says...nothing. Nothing at all. I have no idea if she likes the idea of travelling through Europe because she says NOTHING, and her body language tells me *OK response* so....does she like travelling through Europe?

Laika Karou
Regular

#40 Post by Laika Karou »

musical74 wrote:I noticed something very odd...in one of Hotaru's questions, there is an answer of *I'd like to travel through Europe*. If you click on that, Hotaru says...nothing. Nothing at all. I have no idea if she likes the idea of travelling through Europe because she says NOTHING, and her body language tells me *OK response* so....does she like travelling through Europe?
There was an error in "3.ini" file that caused this problem. As soon as I was reported about it, the error (along with several other ones) was fixed. Updated archive with the game was uploaded on November 11 and it is available from the same url. (new archive is called smds-ss10-rev.zip).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by mikey »

More Sailormoon goodness is coming our way soon
http://www.sailorvgame.org/mg/smds/smds_maid.htm
Good luck!