The hardest but addicting game you ever played

For the rest of your otaku life.
Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

The hardest but addicting game you ever played

#1 Post by Zatch »

I don't know if I should be posting it here but what the heck.. :lol:

I'm wondering what was the hardest but addicting game you ever played..

Right now, I'm playing Legend of Zelda Wind Waker and it addicting but frustrating at the same.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: The hardest but addicting game you ever played

#2 Post by netravelr »

Does Minecraft count? :-P
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

#3 Post by Zatch »

Haha. Minecraft counts! :P Any game counts!

I want to add another question.. What so hard and addicting about it?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Monster Hunter Tri. Dang, it's essentially a game composed of boss fights, and you kill one boss so long until you're powerful enough to tackle the next one. And man, it's _hard_.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#5 Post by Desu_Cake »

Hmmm... The hardest game I've ever played would be I Wanna Be the Guy, for obvious reasons, although I didn't find it very addictive.
The hardest game that is addictive would probably be Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism. It's the only game in the series where I had to continue at stage 2, and after months of on and off playing I still haven't managed to beat Okuu on easy. Despite that, it's Touhou! Of course it's addictive!

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#6 Post by Dollywitch »

Desu_Cake wrote:Hmmm... The hardest game I've ever played would be I Wanna Be the Guy, for obvious reasons, although I didn't find it very addictive.
The hardest game that is addictive would probably be Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism. It's the only game in the series where I had to continue at stage 2, and after months of on and off playing I still haven't managed to beat Okuu on easy. Despite that, it's Touhou! Of course it's addictive!
Subterranean Animism was very difficult, and it put me off the game.

Shoot the Bullet was worse, IMO that was just flat out bad game design though. While the controls aren't perfect, Touhou's generally managed to be one of the few games that keeps difficult without relying on a high level of "artificial difficulty" like many "difficult" video games, especially other some other sh'mups.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#7 Post by teacup »

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.
I've never been that good at RPGs but that one was just plain hard. Most RPGs start easy but that one was really difficult right off the bat. It was so fun though, and interesting story kept me playing until I finished, as frustrated as I was! :p
Also I LOVE Wind Waker, the thing that made it easy for me was printing a map of the ocean that has all the islands marked. Maybe it's cheating but the game is way too time consuming otherwise... It's also a must have if you're a completionist XD

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#8 Post by Aleema »

Majesty, and Majesty 2. It can be very unforgiving. But I keep coming back for more, because I really like the mental exercise it gives me.

Another
Regular

#9 Post by Another »

Amongst my favorite games, Enigma (a game similar to Oxyd, but providing many more features) has earned the place of both the hardest and the most addictive one. I've been playing it for years.

Some levels are so difficult that you can't even consider solving all of them as a reasonable goal. Yet, the sensation I feel each time I beat a puzzle that used to resist my efforts is so strong that I'm still trying... :lol:

And even the levels I already solved have still a high replay value, since scores are time based and you're in competition with other players.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

The Sims. Without rosebud.
It's hard to advance in your career track when you're required to have a certain number of best friends but your job leaves you like ZERO time to make contact with anybody...

...which is why I usually just cheat up a few hundred thousand simoleons and forget about that silly unrealistic thing called "work", lol
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#11 Post by Mink »

Shadow of the Colossus. It starts off easy, but christ it starts getting hard. There's one I'm STUCK on, and it's not just me: this fight is basically luck-based, because it's freakishly hard to lure the Colossus over the geyser, right BEFORE the geyser explodes, avoid the lightning balls it's blasting at you, and once the geyser over balances it, shoot it's feet. God help you if you fall off that thing if you DO manage to get on top of it.

AND I STILL HAVE LIKE SEVEN MORE COLOSSI TO KILL. It's fun, though. I mean, take a break from fighting giants and just ride around and look at the scenery.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by HigurashiKira »

Dollywitch wrote:
Desu_Cake wrote:Hmmm... The hardest game I've ever played would be I Wanna Be the Guy, for obvious reasons, although I didn't find it very addictive.
Subterranean Animism was very difficult, and it put me off the game.

Shoot the Bullet was worse, IMO that was just flat out bad game design though. While the controls aren't perfect, Touhou's generally managed to be one of the few games that keeps difficult without relying on a high level of "artificial difficulty" like many "difficult" video games, especially other some other sh'mups.
STB was a buttload easier than SA. And UFO was Hell starting Stage 3 on anything higher than easy ;_;
Then there's the unforgiving Fairy Wars...
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#13 Post by Death_HUG »

teacup wrote:Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.
I've never been that good at RPGs but that one was just plain hard. Most RPGs start easy but that one was really difficult right off the bat. It was so fun though, and interesting story kept me playing until I finished, as frustrated as I was! :p
Agreed! I loved that game soo much but it was so hard >.< I think I was almost done with but never finished it since it was so hard ;^;

Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

#14 Post by Vegeluxia »

The hardest game I've ever played is Orphen: Scion of Sorcery. Not addicting though. It just makes me angry. XD

I'll give addicting and hard to Galerians (the first one, not Ash). :'D

Finate items are not cool. I ran out of the stuff that literally keeps your brain from exploding and that made it impossible for me to beat one of the bosses (which are beyond crazy hard). You also can't go back to other places you've been to and get things you know are there. Curse you limited inventory and inability to backtrack. ;A;

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#15 Post by TsukiShima »

Let me try to recall... What about Final Fantasy (most of the series) and Kingdom Hearts? Quite difficult for me, especially that I'm too lazy to level up (yep, my fault).