Up to what version is the DSE compatible?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Loveli
Regular

Up to what version is the DSE compatible?

#1 Post by Loveli »

Just what the title says. I have been going trough a nightmare trying to make the DSE work happily whit version 6.12.1 of Ren'Py but the thing is just acting weird, the DSE works but whit the DSE as part of the script the rest of the screens refuse to work! I have already posted a topic on the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum, yet I never received at last one replay! It's making me go insane...

So I just want to know if I am doing something wrong or it is just not compatible so I can finally stop trying.

Also... I'm sorry if it's not supposed to go here I just got tired of been ignored :( Really I just want to know if they are still compatible. Although if you would like to help me I would be extremely grateful here is the topic about my problem: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 65#p170365

If this should be on the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum too, then plis some Mod move it, I don't want to cause trouble :(

Plis... Don't ignore me again :(
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Up to what version is the DSE compatible?

#2 Post by PyTom »

As far as I know, it's compatible with the latest release. There are a few things that need to be changed in the demo game - mostly uses of percent-substitution where in the 6.13 series, one would use square brackets. But the basics should work, and there was a recently a DSE game released.

That being said, the DSE could really use an update. It need to start use screens instead of ui functions - the code will be much simpler.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

While we're speaking about DSE, would screen do a better job for making a dating-sim or DSE would still be a better option?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

There are two parts to DSE - the event handling and the user interface elements.

event.rpy, which contains the event handling code, is still useful, as it shows how to pick out events. But the rest of it isn't all that hot any more, as screens make things like the event picker much less useful.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Pugfarts
Regular
Projects: I Will Hold Your Hand

#5 Post by Pugfarts »

is there some kind of guide/example that I could look over regarding these mystical 'screens'?

Loveli
Regular

#6 Post by Loveli »

Yes, thought as much, but the actual thing that's stoping me are the screen were stats are shown, I can't seem to figure out how to do it whit screens I get it all set and looking good but the variable won't show, like let's say I have the stat "Intelligence" and I want to show the value that it has, instead of showing the value it just literary say "%(int)s". Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

And for some reason the rest of the screens seem to crash when I use the ones that are in the DSE. The Day Planner works fine but all of the normal screens in the game menu crash after the day planner appears... So I can't use the ones in the DSE.

At any rate I think doing it in screens would be better, but I don't know how to do the stats part that's what I need to figure out.

@Pugfarts: You could check the documentation: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/index.html
or for something more simple Aleema's Tutorials:
This one is aboute Game Menus: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 2&p=127872 And this one is about the text box: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=9233
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#7 Post by curry nochi rice »

still no update available?

going to use the DSE since i have no time to emulate in screen.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.