Death Rule:lost code [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
maebarak1

Re: Death Rule:lost code [Survival][Demo] Update 2/25

#181 Post by maebarak1 »

I must say that many of the music in this game is well composed. I love the interface too.

The only thing that I found not that amusing is the sprites -- they look a bit out of place (not blending well with the other visuals).

For the story, I still haven't finished the demo so I am not sure about it yet.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#182 Post by Hijiri »

maebarak1 wrote:I must say that many of the music in this game is well composed. I love the interface too.

The only thing that I found not that amusing is the sprites -- they look a bit out of place (not blending well with the other visuals).

For the story, I still haven't finished the demo so I am not sure about it yet.
Glad to hear you like the stuff. As for the art in the demo:
A-Its over a year old
B-If I had money for a BG artist, I would get one.

Hope to hear your thoughts about the story when you finish c:
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

phoenixhymn
Projects: Civil Blood

#183 Post by phoenixhymn »

I just played the demo, and I loved it! I think the objectives and death rules were a fun twist on the survival of the fittest/Battle Royale genre. I wanted to start charting out what the highest possible survival rate was, and I kept checking the player list to make sure I remembered everything.

I didn't read through all 13 pages in this thread, so sorry if some of this has been addressed before:
I'm particularly intrigued by the worldbuilding and backstory that's been hinted at--what's this Committee? Why do some people know about the Game (and have volunteered?) and others have no clue? Why are there malfunctioning killer robots? I assume that in the finished story there will be players that are doomed by canon, yes? What kind of civilization is this that they can have killer robots, explosive implants, and genetic mods and still rely on PDAs? Where is this supposed to be set other than there's a significant French-speak population somewhere within the reach of this Committee?

One thing I did notice in the demo was that Gabe's rules in the player list didn't match what the characters read in his PDA. I'm guessing one or the other is a condition from a previous version of the story as both conditions seemed harmless and not something that the Double Agent ability would change.

Speaking of the Double Agent ability--I'm a little confused about how it works. Am I understanding correctly that the Library ability is subordinate to the Double Agent one? (Meaning that the Library ability will be accurate for everyone except for the Double Agent unless the same person possesses both?) If that's the case, shouldn't the person with the Library ability be able to narrow down the list of people with the Double Agent ability pretty quickly? All you'd have to do is memorize everyone's objectives and rules at the outset. If any of those changed, you'd know that the Double Agent ability had switched hands and could track it that way. Alternately, if the Double Agent ability never switched hands, the person with the Library ability would know that the Double Agent had to be someone with seemingly harmless objectives/rules, and you could narrow it down significantly that way.
Will that player list change depending on which character's POV you're in? It seems a bit odd that Abigail, for example, would know anything about Abraham's group as they hadn't met each other. There's no reason she would have their info on her PDA. I suppose it's simpler for the player (and for the coders!), but I kind of like the idea of making it harder on the player by having them go "asdfjk; wait, which number was such-and-such supposed to kill/keep alive/etc.?" and not knowing because they were in a different POV when a critical choice came up.

And this last one is more an observation than anything: It looks like everyone so far is white, unless I missed something--which I may have, as I stayed up far past my normal bed time to play and comment on this demo.

I'm really looking forward to this game, and I can't wait to see more of it. Best of luck!

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#184 Post by Katon »

maebarak1 wrote: The only thing that I found not that amusing is the sprites -- they look a bit out of place (not blending well with the other visuals).
.... >_>;; ... This again?
As Hijiri said, those were sprites that I've done last year, so what can you do? I am revamping the sprites if you couldn't tell by the first page... But because I can't draw BGs, Hiji uses those type of BGs, so like... yeah. >_>

IfeelsobadsobsIfeellikesuchasorelosernowsobseternally

Adoxographist
Regular

#185 Post by Adoxographist »

I really like your revamped sprites! They have a very "Devil Survivor" feel to them which I think works super good with this project.

Shhh... Don't beat yourself up. UnU

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi

#186 Post by Hijiri »

phoenixhymn wrote:I just played the demo, and I loved it! I think the objectives and death rules were a fun twist on the survival of the fittest/Battle Royale genre. I wanted to start charting out what the highest possible survival rate was, and I kept checking the player list to make sure I remembered everything.
I'm glad you've enjoyed this, I'm always happy to hear what the readers have to say :)
phoenixhymn wrote:I didn't read through all 13 pages in this thread, so sorry if some of this has been addressed before:
I'm particularly intrigued by the worldbuilding and backstory that's been hinted at--what's this Committee? Why do some people know about the Game (and have volunteered?) and others have no clue? Why are there malfunctioning killer robots? I assume that in the finished story there will be players that are doomed by canon, yes? What kind of civilization is this that they can have killer robots, explosive implants, and genetic mods and still rely on PDAs? Where is this supposed to be set other than there's a significant French-speak population somewhere within the reach of this Committee?

One thing I did notice in the demo was that Gabe's rules in the player list didn't match what the characters read in his PDA. I'm guessing one or the other is a condition from a previous version of the story as both conditions seemed harmless and not something that the Double Agent ability would change.

Speaking of the Double Agent ability--I'm a little confused about how it works. Am I understanding correctly that the Library ability is subordinate to the Double Agent one? (Meaning that the Library ability will be accurate for everyone except for the Double Agent unless the same person possesses both?) If that's the case, shouldn't the person with the Library ability be able to narrow down the list of people with the Double Agent ability pretty quickly? All you'd have to do is memorize everyone's objectives and rules at the outset. If any of those changed, you'd know that the Double Agent ability had switched hands and could track it that way. Alternately, if the Double Agent ability never switched hands, the person with the Library ability would know that the Double Agent had to be someone with seemingly harmless objectives/rules, and you could narrow it down significantly that way.
Hooray, an excuse to spew my world building to someone other than Katon and Ia-kun. tl;dr for those who don't care much for the DR Universe:
The Committee is an underground group that is formed out of some of the most powerful corporations in the Death Rule universe. There are 12 members; one for each company, and every few years a new Director (the head of the Committee) is chosen. The Committee tends to 'leak' out information about its Game when it feels that they have found someone worthwhile to bribe into participating. However, a couple of the Players had loved ones who died in a Game. One of them needs evidence of the Game, the other is outright trying to cripple the Committee's actions, which explains the malfunctioning Hunters.
And yes, there are some Players who, no matter what, will die here.
As for the location of the Game...it's hard to explain, really. It's in a remote territory that is owned by the Director, who either picked or accepted people from his country to participate in the Game.
The world of DR is both a mix of future and modern. The planet this story takes place in isn't Earth, but a colony of it. In this universe, humanity learned how to travel into space during biblical times. However, this led to a faster degeneration of the ecosystem, forcing them to abandon the planet early on. The people who appear in this story technically aren't 'people' in the strict sense since they aren't Homo sapiens, but a new breed of human born from the humans from Earth, and the human-like species from this world.
Because time isn't very friendly, much of the 'modern' technology they used to have on Earth degenerated, but a lot of scientific advances remained. Things like advanced AI, medical implants, and genetics are something that survived but a lot of other things either didn't or had to be downgraded due to limited resources.

Yeah, that was a problem with me not fixing the images. I'll be sure to fix that later >>;;

Yes, the Player with the Double Agent ability could be tracked that way. Looks like someone beat that part of the System. However, that thing about the Objective and Death Rule is wrong. They only change into something that would prevent the least amount of conflict amongst the people surrounding the owner of that Ability. So if you got 2 Players with the objective to kill Player J, then the Double Agent Player will also get his/her Objective disguised into something similar to 'Kill Player J'
phoenixhymn wrote:Will that player list change depending on which character's POV you're in? It seems a bit odd that Abigail, for example, would know anything about Abraham's group as they hadn't met each other. There's no reason she would have their info on her PDA. I suppose it's simpler for the player (and for the coders!), but I kind of like the idea of making it harder on the player by having them go "asdfjk; wait, which number was such-and-such supposed to kill/keep alive/etc.?" and not knowing because they were in a different POV when a critical choice came up.
I should probably do that....
phoenixhymn wrote:And this last one is more an observation than anything: It looks like everyone so far is white, unless I missed something--which I may have, as I stayed up far past my normal bed time to play and comment on this demo.

I'm really looking forward to this game, and I can't wait to see more of it. Best of luck!
Maria is Hispanic, but playing with her genetics turned her into an albino. Gabe is of Turkish descent, but it isn't really noticeable. The others are a mix of other races as well, but that requires me to do family trees...something I'm not to keen about doing...but yeah, they are mostly Caucasian.

Hope you'll like the full version!
(EDITED: Disarmed a ticking time bomb....)
Image Image

phoenixhymn
Projects: Civil Blood

#187 Post by phoenixhymn »

Sounds like an interesting universe! I'm really curious to see just how much of that will come through in the finished game. From what I saw, I just thought we were "five minutes into the future" with the
robots and the gene mods, not that we were on an entirely different planet.
Thanks for elaborating on all of my questions!

I really am looking forward to playing the full version of the game, once you get there. I think it'll be a ton of fun. (I spent a good chunk of last night narrating my responses to the game to a friend online, and she was intrigued by it as well!)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#188 Post by Hijiri »

The demo link has been updated. Hope nothing breaks this time around >_>;
(Still the same version as that of the mirror link. Not updating the demo 'till all the new sprites are finished.)
Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule:lost code [Survival][Demo] Update 5/14

#189 Post by Hijiri »

Dwight's bio and picture has been added.
Image Image

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#190 Post by Reikun »

DWIGHT'S CODE HAS SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE TO ME It was destiny that you'd be my favorite character. Oh Dwighty~~~~
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#191 Post by Hijiri »

Reikun wrote:DWIGHT'S CODE HAS SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE TO ME It was destiny that you'd be my favorite character. Oh Dwighty~~~~
Dwight seems to attract yandere.
His code is also a bit of a spoiler to his fate if you know what it means....
Image Image

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#192 Post by Reikun »

Hijiri wrote:
Reikun wrote:DWIGHT'S CODE HAS SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE TO ME It was destiny that you'd be my favorite character. Oh Dwighty~~~~
Well I can't wait to see what it means then ;3 Dwight brings out the yandere in meeee

Loving the progress with the updated sprites~~ But does that mean past CGs will have to get updated too? D:
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#193 Post by Hijiri »

Reikun wrote:
Hijiri wrote:
Well I can't wait to see what it means then ;3 Dwight brings out the yandere in meeee

Loving the progress with the updated sprites~~ But does that mean past CGs will have to get updated too? D:
The dictionary may spoil it

And that's....something we'll have to discuss....
Image Image

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#194 Post by Katon »

Sorry I'm late with the sprites D;
I'll try to get Tanya done today. Then George will be next.

Here's a little WIP. AndNagisa

EDIT: GRAMMAR. URGH.

EDIT 2: Sent~!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule:lost code [Survival][Demo] Update 5/16

#195 Post by Hijiri »

Writing has surprisingly picked up, and with most of my finals out of my way I should begin to write more. Also, take a look at these while you wait.
Image Image