Sneak preview: a small followup project

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Sneak preview: a small followup project

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

It was about time I contributed some real ren'ai to this ren'ai forum, so I've started working on a small project to be released probably by the end of this year. It won't be very big but will, for the first time in my gaming career, feature more than one datable girls.

Oh, and here is the first one.
Attachments
One of three datable girls.
One of three datable girls.
sneakpreview.jpg (293.89 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#2 Post by dizzcity »

Hmm... interesting. :) 3D character model, what looks like a disco in the background, and a party animal chick who dresses like Lara Croft. Can't wait to see what's up.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

I got a copy of Poser 5, and I need to fool around with it a bit to find out what it can do. That's my main motivation for officially starting the project now. The main plot is already complete, I only need to write the dialogue down now.

The entire game will take place inside a disco during one evening. It's almost stereotypically ren'ai, only that (knowing me) players can expect a few twists and turns.
More about me in my blog

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#4 Post by dizzcity »

Oh, you managed to get the free download of Poser 5 from Content Paradise too? So that's how the model was created... I've been wondering about the usefulness of the software. I guess I should probably try tinkering around with it myself.

The entire story's set in a disco on one evening? Can't be very long then.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

I'm not big on 3D but this manages to be cute ^.^... *looks down*... and sexy o_O;...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Yup, the game will be a shortie compared to MetBlues, yet I hope it'll be intricate enough for a replay or two. Poser 5 is indeed a very useful piece of software, though the few body models that come with are difficult to modify. So I got myself a copy of Aiko 3 and Hiro 3 (the manga body models for women and men) and tweaked them a little here and there. All in all, if you don't mind CGI art, it's a powerful ren'ai tool.
More about me in my blog

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

While I vastly prefer 2D, I don't mind 3D CGI at all, especially if it's used wisely and easily facilitates more creations.

I already see the potential for this project to outshine the other 3DCGI games I've seen previews for (although most of them -- based on getchu links I've hit -- seem to be more of rape sims than renai stories)

I am behind you on this effort to redefine 3DCG + renai. Meaningful although short is the strength of this community.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Something that would be really nice and made easy with 3D is to have many poses and/or expressions. That's one of the things 3D lets you do rather quickly since you don't have to draw anymore.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#9 Post by F.I.A »

Nice 3D, I say.

Actually maybe 3D miht be easier to work with, since you need to only design the characters, and go posing crazy for scenes and such.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#10 Post by Watercolorheart »

I remember doing 3d (as convincing 2d lines, by inking each and every picture in Flash) in the Limitations game, before I lost it.

That was more pain than it was worth ...

Poser is a little hard when just starting out and you have no idea how to acheive a cel-shading effect or manipulate the lights around.

I also detest this style of 3d, I see it far too often on Renderosity. The kind of pictures that always appealed to me were high-quality renders done in Vue Infinite. Terai Yuki (sic?) always looked cool, too, when done right.

Mostly because I have grown to hate Aiko and BelBel ...

Of course, there's always the odd artist out there that makes you want to do the same.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/ ... _id=337848
I'm not even the same person anymore

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

Heh. I KNEW not everyone was going to like it.

FYI, I still have no idea how to achieve a cel-shading effect, or how to make 2D pics out of my 3D models. Both would come in very handy. Terai Yuki would be neat if I could get my hands on that model, however, I don't have the money for her and enough clothing, and I'm not talented enough to create new clothing from scratch. (And I can't let those characters run around in the buff all the time; that would be an entirely different sort of game than I'm trying to do.)
More about me in my blog

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

3D is fine, as long as it works with the BGs - IMO a 3D character will work well with a photographish background... And of course you have my official "good luck, rooting for you" right here, hopefully you'll finish it this year like you want to - at the very latest, we expect it to be a Christmas present ;)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#13 Post by chronoluminaire »

Just saw this. This looks like an exciting prospect! I normally prefer 2D, but I've been seeing some very impressive and cute 3D CG art recently, so I'm ready to be intrigued. :) Looks fun - keep it up!
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

teankun
Regular

#14 Post by teankun »

Looks nice

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#15 Post by lordcloudx »

FYI, I still have no idea how to achieve a cel-shading effect, or how to make 2D pics out of my 3D models.
I can help you with the making a 2d pic part... though it can be time-consuming.

Just use the still pic of your 3d model as a guide layer in photoshop to trace paths with the pen tool. Stroke the paths (there's a way to do this that make the lines look hand-drawn) , and you have your lineart layer ready for cg-ing however you want. It's also a good idea to trace the eyes, nose and mouth on different layers in case you want to change expressions later.

Also, you can now delete the layer with your original 3d model pic or maybe just lessen the opacity to see how your new lineart layers look.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)